Adaeze Uyanwah is the winner of an international search to find London’s “Official Guest of Honor”! The 24-year-old substitute teacher and freelance writer from Palmdale will embark on a two-week trip to London packed with a series of extraordinary experiences, according to an announcement by VisitLondon.com.
VisitLondon.com, the official promotional organization for London, launched its “Official Guest of Honor” contest in November 2014. More than 100,000 people registered on the Guest of Honor website, and 10,000 people submitted entries describing their perfect day in London.
In her application video, Uyanwah said her perfect day in London would include waking up in Buckingham Palace, visiting a traditional London pub, taking a tour of the Houses of Parliament, visiting the British Museum, watching a West End show and ending the day on the London Eye overlooking the city, according to VisitLondon.com.
Contest organizers on Wednesday announced Uyanwah as the winner, and they even captured the moment when they brought her the good news (see video above).
As London’s “Official Guest of Honor,” Uyanwah will travel to London next month to enjoy a once in a lifetime trip, during which she will be hosted by some of the capital’s most famous residents at the city’s most iconic visitor attractions.
Visitlondon.com, in partnership with VisitBritain and the UK Government’s GREAT Britain campaign, will be rolling out the red carpet for Uyanwah, who will:
- Visit the Science Museum with renowned physicist Professor Stephen Hawking.
- Have afternoon tea at Lord’s Cricket Ground with Downton Abbey’s butler Carson – actor Jim Carter.
- Take a behind the scenes tour of the Houses of Parliament with Speaker of the House of Commons, the Rt Hon John Bercow MP.
- Open Tower Bridge, the most famous bridge in the world.
- Have a meal cooked by Michelin-starred chef Jason Atherton at his flagship restaurant, Pollen Street Social.
- Be taken on a tour of the Royal Opera House by world-famous singer and conductor, Plácido Domingo and British ballerina and Strictly Come Dancing judge Darcey Bussell.
- Take a VIP tour with former tennis star Tim Henman of the All England Tennis Club, which hosts The Wimbledon Championships.
Uyanwah will travel to London with her mom, Faye, and stay in a luxurious suite at the Radisson Blu Edwardian, Mercer Street.
“I cannot express how excited and happy I am to be coming to London!” Uyanwah stated in the news announcement. “Winning this competition feels like a dream come true – like something out of ‘Charlie and The Chocolate Factory’.”
The Mayor of London Boris Johnson stated: “This great prize encompasses everything that makes our city truly outstanding and I hope Adaeze enjoys every second. I look forward to welcoming our Guest of Honour to London and hearing about her science trip with the great Professor Stephen Hawking and tour of our historic corridors of power at the Houses of Parliament.
“I’m confident Adaeze will take away amazing memories and encourage her American friends to join the millions of international visitors enjoying London’s rich culture, events and iconic landmarks every year.”
Gordon Innes, Chief Executive London & Partners, stated: “We were captivated by Adaeze’s charm, passion and enthusiasm for London. She is the perfect advocate for the capital and we can’t wait to welcome her in style to London.”
Adaeze will be hosted by London & Partners, the Mayor’s promotional company, which has worked with partners across the capital to make the dream trip come true.
To follow Adaeze’s journey as London’s Guest of Honor, visit @LondonGuest on Twitter.