LANCASTER – The woman sexually abused by Greg Anthony Adrian when she was 6 years old did not get to finish telling the convicted child molester what she thought of him.
As the woman tearfully gave her victim impact statement Thursday in an Antelope Valley courtroom, Adrian suddenly launched into a tantrum. It began with him waving his head back and forth and ended with him cursing and screaming as he was dragged from the courtroom.
During the outburst, the 44-year-old bit his own hand, banged his head against a desk and wall, and shouted threats as he struggled with seven deputies. He seemed to be referring to himself in the third person as he shouted, “Today I shall take over him! He will be dead by the end of the day… Sentence him to death and get it over with! F*cking do it!”
Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Charles Chung refused to stop the sentencing hearing, saying the outburst had nothing to do with Adrian’s mental competency.
“It was him putting on a show,” Chung said, before sentencing Adrian to 25 years to life in state prison.
The sentence stems from years of sexual abuse meted out by Adrian on at least two young female relatives.
Adrian first pleaded no contest in 1996 after molesting a 6-year-old female relative numerous times over a one-year period. He served three years in state prison for that crime; and shortly after his release, he began sexually abusing another young female relative. The abuse continued over a seven-year period, according to Deputy District Attorney Jon Hatami, who prosecuted the case.
On Nov. 8, 2007, Adrian hit the 12-year-old victim over the head with a telephone to prevent her from calling 9-1-1, according to the prosecutor. That day, the girl told a Lancaster teacher about being sexually abused by Adrian since she was in kindergarten. When authorities moved to arrest the convicted child molester, he had already skipped town. In June 2008, Adrian was featured on the national television show, “America’s Most Wanted.”
Adrian was finally found in Flagstaff, Ariz., and sent back to California Aug. 14, 2013.
He pleaded no contest Oct. 14 to one count of lewd act upon a child and admitted to the 1996 sex crime conviction. He was scheduled to be sentenced Oct. 28, but the sentencing hearing was pushed back to allow for a mental competency evaluation after Adrian told the judge he was “probably possessed.” [Read more here.]
The mental competency evaluation concluded that Adrian was “malingering,” or faking a mental health disorder to avoid sentencing, according to the prosecutor. At Thursday’s sentencing hearing, Adrian’s defense attorney argued a motion to subpoena records for another evaluation, but this time the motion was denied.
The young woman Adrian molested from 1995 to 1996 was then allowed to give a victim impact statement.
“All the children that you molested… we battle every day,” the victim said, suggesting that Adrian had molested many more victims. She told Adrian her life had been altered in many negative ways by the sexual abuse that happened 19 years ago.
“I choose to end my battle today,” the victim said, just before Adrian’s courtroom tirade.
After the interruption, the victim declined to finish her statement. A second victim was in the courtroom Thursday, but she did not give a victim impact statement.
Previous related story: Sentencing delayed for convicted child molester