ANTELOPE VALLEY – The “Powerhouse” fire continues to rage and has grown to more than 19,500 acres, authorities said Sunday. By Sunday afternoon, the fire had crossed Lancaster Road and was well established in the Poppy Reserves, according to AV Fire News.
The fire is 20% contained with three reported injuries. Fifteen structures have been reported damaged, and five of the 15 structures were destroyed, according to a Sheriff’s Department update.
As the fire continues to move in a northbound direction, approximately 1,000 residents are being threatened.
The following evacuations and road closures were in effect as of 3:30 p.m. on Sunday.
- The Lake Hughes Community is under mandatory evacuation.
- Cottonwood Campground has been completely evacuated.
- The Lake Elizabeth community is under voluntary evacuation.
- The residential area at the intersection of Munz Ranch Road and the California Aquaduct is under voluntary evacuation.
- All residents north of South Portal and west of San Francisquito Canyon Road are asked to evacuate.
- Probation Camps John Munz and William Mendenhall (approximately 140 juveniles), have been evacuated to Barry J Nidorf Juvenile Hall in Sylmar.
- Hard Closure (EMS Personnel Only)
- West of Bouquet Canyon on Elizabeth Lake Road to Lake Hughes Road
- Johnson Road to Elizabeth Lake Road
- Munz Ranch Road to Elizabeth Lake Road
Lake Hughes road has been closed from Elizabeth Lake road to Lake Castaic
- San Francisquito Canyon road is closed above the Power House and below Green Valley
- Soft Closure (Residents and EMS Personnel Only)
- San Francisquito Canyon Road at Copper Hill
- Bouquet Canyon Road, Spunky Canyon and Vasquez Canyon Road
- The California Highway Patrol is allowing limited resident traffic only at San Francisquito Rd and Elizabeth Lake Rd
Hikers on the Pacific Crest Trail are being redirected from the trail at Bouquet Canyon Road and routed north outside of the Forest boundary along the California Aqueduct trail. Hiking Plan: http://nixle.com/alert/4983133/
A Red Cross evacuation center has been set up at Marie Kerr Park (Recreation Center), located at 2723-A Rancho Vista Blvd, in the City of Palmdale. For further information contact Stephen Maxey of the Red Cross at (626) 536-1152 or (661) 433-9710.
An evacuation site for large animals has been set up at the Antelope Valley Fairgrounds (Gate 3), located at 2551 West Avenue H, in the City of Lancaster. For smaller animals the evacuation center site is the Lancaster Animal Care center, located at 5210 West Avenue I, in the City of Lancaster or the Castaic Animal Care Center, located 31044 N. Charlie Canyon Road.
Get the latest “Powerhouse” fire updates at:
For TWITTER updates on the Powerhouse fire: