PALMDALE – A 42-year-old Palmdale man was charged with attempted murder Friday for allegedly shooting his girlfriend during an argument in their Palmdale home.
Angelo Christopher Jones was charged with two counts of attempted murder, assault with a firearm, and being a felon in possession of a firearm, according to the L.A. County District Attorney’s Office.
The shooting allegedly took place on Monday, but Jones’ 34-year-old girlfriend (name withheld) did not seek treatment for her gunshot wound or report the incident to law enforcement until two days later, authorities said.
“The victim didn’t want to go to the hospital because of fear of the suspect and because she believed she had some outstanding warrants,” said Palmdale Community Relations deputy Robbie Royster. “She was afraid to get any type of care or any help from law enforcement.”
Royster said Palmdale Sheriff’s Station became aware of the incident around 5:30 p.m. Wednesday when a woman called the station and said her sister had been shot and was currently at a home in the 40300 Block of 16th Street West in Palmdale.
The woman told deputies she had tried to take her sister to the hospital, but her sister had refused, Royster said.
“Deputies went ahead and surrounded the location and ordered everybody out of the home in order to find this girl with the gunshot wound,” Royster said. “They detained three individuals out of the home, but none of those individuals was suffering from a gunshot wound or was the victim they were looking for.”
Several deputies did a “primary sweep” of the house, but could not find the victim, Royster said. They continued to question the three people from the home, until someone revealed that the victim was hiding in a crawl space in the house, Royster said.
“Deputies were able to reassure her that they were there to help her out in whatever happened,” Royster said. “They ascertained that the gunshot wound had stemmed from a domestic violence incident approximately two days before.”
The victim told deputies she had been arguing with Jones on Monday, when he pulled out a handgun and fired several rounds in her direction, hitting her in the calf, Royster said.
“The wound was a through and through, it went into the shin area and exited near the back calf area,” Royster said.
The woman suffered though the injury for two days, until her sister came to the house and noticed the gunshot wound, Royster said. When the woman refused her sister’s help, her sister left the home and called authorities, Royster said.
Deputies spent over two hours searching the home and questioning its occupants before finding the woman in the crawl space, Royster said. Once found, she was immediately transported to the hospital for treatment. Information on the woman’s warrants was not immediately available, and as of Friday, the woman had not been arrested or taken into custody.
“The greater need is trying to get her medical treatment right away for her injuries and working with her,” Royster said. “I’m not saying that she is not going to have to face the criminal charges that she had hanging over her in the future, but our number one priority is to preserve life and then the other stuff we can work with, one step at a time.”
“We want people to know that if you’re a victim of domestic violence and you’re in that type of situation, please reach out to law enforcement and allow us to assist you in getting out of that horrible situation,” Royster continued.
Jones appeared in an Antelope Valley courtroom Friday and pleaded not guilty to all charges, according to the L.A. County District Attorney’s Office.
Jones has a criminal record with more than a dozen convictions dating back to 1990. Most recently, Jones was convicted for possession of an assault weapon in 2008, negligent discharge of a firearm in 2005, assault with a deadly weapon in 2002, and burglary in 2000, according to court records. He was also convicted of domestic violence in 1998, and charged with domestic violence in 2007, although the 2007 charge was not prosecuted, according to court records.
Jones is due back in court on Wednesday, Oct. 24 for a preliminary hearing.
UPDATED 10/30/12: On Monday, Oct. 29, a superior court judge ruled that there was sufficient evidence for the case to go to trial. Angelo Jones was reportedly ordered to trial on all charges — two counts of attempted murder, assault with a firearm, and being a felon in possession of a firearm. Jones was ordered back to custody on $2.5 million bail and is due back in court on Nov. 13.