The free event is scheduled for 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at 43145 Business Center Parkway (next to Charter College). The workshop is being presented by New Life Community Church of the Antelope Valley.
“We are a church ministry but this is not about religion – it’s about community outreach and saving lives,” stated Pastor Kasey E. Marsh.
“Domestic violence is very prevalent in the Antelope Valley and we want to offer hope, encouragement, education, and assistance to families affected by unhealthy, destructive relationships,” Pastor Marsh continued.
The overall theme of the workshop is “How to Communicate Effectively in Relationships.”
Topics of discussion will include:
- Physical, emotional and verbal abuse.
- The effects of domestic violence on children.
- Filing police reports and restraining orders.
- Working with law enforcement and the court system.
- Developing a safety plan.
- Emergency shelters, local resources, and much more.
Guest speakers will include the following experts:
- Carol Crabson – Chief Executive Officer of Valley Oasis and President of the Antelope Valley Domestic Violence Council.
- Cynthia Spears – Founder and Executive Director of Change Lanes Youth Support Services.
- Craig Thompson – Los Angeles County Probation Department.
- Jerry Harper – Former Chief Probation Officer of San Bernardino County, Los Angeles County Undersheriff, and Director of California Youth Authority.
Immediately following the speakers, there will be an exhibit featuring various community organizations. The groups will provide literature and additional information to attendees about free counseling services, support groups, and other local resources.
All are welcome to attend. For more information, call 661-949-0011.