“During this very cold weather we’re experiencing, we’re seeing many areas where overspray is hitting sidewalks and streets and freezing up,” said Palmdale’s Street Maintenance Supervisor Bruce Roadhouse. “This is creating unsafe conditions for pedestrians, especially all the school children who are heading to school in the morning. By turning off your sprinklers or setting them to water later in the day, it will stop this from happening.”
For more information, please contact Public Works at 661-267-5300.
SoCal utilities call for energy conservation
With record cold weather across the Antelope Valley placing a heavy strain on short-term natural gas supplies, utility companies are asking local customers to conserve energy, particularly natural gas.
The following steps can help ensure natural gas supplies are sufficient to meet demand created by the severe winter.
Lower your furnace thermostat by three to five degrees (health permitting).
- Limit use of non-essential gas appliances, fireplaces and spas.
- Reduce your water heating usage: use less hot water, turn down the water heater thermostat or insulate your water heater.
- Use LED holiday lights, which last longer and use about 70% less energy than incandescent light strings both indoors and outside. Install a timer and set your holiday lights to automatically turn on and off at specific times.
Follow these important safety tips when heating your home to reduce the risk of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. Symptoms of CO poisoning can include unexplained nausea, headaches, drowsiness, mental confusion and flu-like symptoms.
- Never use your oven, range or outdoor grill to heat your home because these appliances are not designed for this purpose and can emit dangerous carbon monoxide.
- Install a CO detector or change the batteries in your CO detectors.
- If you suspect that you or a loved one is suffering from CO poisoning, call 911 immediately.
(Information via press releases from the city of Palmdale and Southern California Gas Company.)