LANCASTER – Calling all dog lovers! The month of October is nationally recognized as Adopt-a-Shelter-Dog month. You can help this cause by adopting an abandoned, homeless dog from one of the local County of Los Angeles Department of Animal Care and Control’s (DACC) animal care centers.
“Shelter dogs make great pets. Most of them know what [it] is like to be a part of a family, have basic training, and are oftentimes already housebroken,” said DACC Director, Marcia Mayeda.
“When you adopt a dog from an animal shelter, you are not only saving a life—you are also receiving a wonderful companion,” Mayeda continued.
Visit one of DACC’s six animal care centers if you are considering opening your heart and home to a shelter dog this month:
- Lancaster Animal Care Center: 5210 West Avenue I, Lancaster, 93536
- Castaic Animal Care Center: 31044 N. Charlie Canyon Road, Castaic
- Downey Animal Care Center: 11258 S. Garfield Ave., Downey
- Carson Animal Care Center: 216 W. Victoria St., Gardena
- Baldwin Park Animal Care Center: 4275 N. Elton St., Baldwin Park
- Agoura Animal Care Center: 29525 Agoura Road, Agoura, 91301
If you love dogs, but are presently unable to adopt one, then consider making a tax-deductible donation to the Los Angeles County Animal Care Foundation (www.lacountyanimals.org) to help homeless animals find new homes.
Visit DACC’s new website, animalcare.lacounty.gov, to view photos of adoptable animals.