UPDATED: 2-year-old dies after falling into pool

A 2-year-old and his pregnant mother were airlifted to Antelope Valley Hospital Friday night, after the toddler fell into the family pool. (Photos by TONY CHEVAL)

PALMDALE – A toddler was airlifted to the hospital Friday night after he was found unresponsive in his family’s backyard pool.

The Palmdale Sheriff’s Station received a call about a baby not breathing around 8:30 p.m. Friday, and deputies responded to a home in the 5000 Block of Blue Sage Drive in Palmdale, according to deputies at the scene.

The incident happened at a home in the 5000 Block of Blue Sage Drive in Palmdale.

The toddler’s parents said the two-year-old was discovered in the family pool, and when his father pulled him out, he was unconscious and not breathing, deputies said.

When deputies arrived the child was turning blue, and deputies administered CPR at the scene, officials said.

The LA County Fire Department also responded, and cleared a traffic path to DryTown Water Park, where the toddler and his pregnant mother were met with a helicopter to be transported to Antelope Valley Hospital, deputies at the scene said.

No further information on the toddler’s condition was immediately available Saturday afternoon.

The incident remains under investigation.

UPDATED 6/24/13: Two-year-old Jason Martinez passed away at 1:28 a.m. on Sunday, June 23, according to Ed Winter a spokesman for the Los Angeles County Coroner’s office.

45 comments for “UPDATED: 2-year-old dies after falling into pool

1. jacquelene
    August 2, 2013 at 11:54 am

I have read all the comments and happen to know the family. They are a loving and caring family. VERY good parents and I know this first hand! I’m very saddened to know they are going through this difficult time. I love you all and am very sorry I can not imagine what you are all going through. Please stay strong I pray God gives you all the strength and understanding to move forward.

2. Lori
    June 25, 2013 at 9:44 pm

Disgusting!! The negative comments towards the parents….
    They just lost their child to in tragic/horrifying accident. The AV newspaper
    Should be ashamed of it self as to even go ahead and post a picture
    Of the boy(who has now passed) with out consent of the parents
    Furthermore to not get the full story! I hope the family sues this news
    Paper… Because these comments are adding insult to injury…
    Legally… Parents u have a right!! Ask them to remove this article that
    Is causing emotion distressed. It is enough what u have been through.
    U do not deserve to hear random people that don’t know exactly what
    And how it happened tear u down!!! Support is what u need!!! Help in many
    Ways because this is hard and its something very very few parents
    Understand. Just yesterday a child died when she climbed into an above ground pool
    In PA I believe. … It is sick how negative people what to add more negatively
    To the world! U should start a foundation in his name…. Teach other parents about
    Pool safety or share ur tragity because as a parent we all take and go above and beyond
    To be safe in pools yet we also never think it will happen to our kids.
    Please leave these parents alone!! Let them morn! Let them heal!
    And I might be a single stranger but Jason will be in my heart and in my

3. Greeneyes
    June 25, 2013 at 2:16 pm

I am very sorry for that little boy and his family. Such a tragedy! I pray God helps them through their loss.

• dumbandblind
      August 30, 2013 at 11:13 am

God does not help, people do.

4. Amber
    June 24, 2013 at 9:14 pm

So so so sad. My heart aches for this poor baby. I hope the parents take proper precautions so this doesn’t happen to any other children who may enter into their backyard. Sleep with the angels Jason.

5. ShaneFalco
    June 24, 2013 at 7:25 pm

I’ve run enough drowning/near drowning calls to know these situations are almost always results of people not paying attention, assuming somebody else (niece, cousin, older kid) is watching their kid, and adults drinking.

We have a pool and I require each parent to be watching their kid when in the pool. Parent needs to go inside? Kid gets out of the pool until the parent is back. I hire a lifeguard when we have large barbecues and get togethers and I still make parents watch their own kids.

By all means we should “judge” these people the same way we’d judge people who leave kids in a hot car or leave a gun out for kids to play with. We should also publicize it so the other slow learners realize that bad decisions have had consequences.

• heyney
      June 24, 2013 at 7:48 pm

What a heartless disgusting comment

• theresa ceritano
        June 24, 2013 at 9:25 pm

I agree

• theresa ceritano
        June 24, 2013 at 9:27 pm

I agree some people are heartless

• AS
      June 24, 2013 at 10:39 pm

Judge??? Wow… Some people.

• ShaneFalco
        June 25, 2013 at 4:18 am

Absolutely. How many times do we see some type of preventable tragedy reported and the first thing the friends and family post is lecturing everybody to not judge even though who people have clearly seen what has occurred and properly formed an opinion? If people never judged a situation because they were supposed to feel bad, nobody would ever learn from others lessons.

Instead of people going on and on about needing a pool fence people instead should be talking about being responsible for your kids whether it’s around a busy street, a pool, or a busy parking lot. My kids learned to swim before they were three and even though they know how to swim I still watch them like a hawk.

We hear about drownings every summer and we will continue to do so because no matter what the pool code is or will ever be, you can’t legislate parental responsibility.

• Kizzy
          June 25, 2013 at 9:40 am

Wow.. We have a perfect person giving an opinion.
          Just let me tell you . No matter if your kid are professional swimmers,
          Accidents happen.. And we don’t know the circumstances.
          You might be the best parent trying to keep your eyes on your kids,
          But like I said accidents happen.
          I hope you never get judge just like your judging someone that you
          Don’t even know. Go and perfect yourself better , because by you judging this people
          Is not making you a perfect person. God always be with you.

• ShaneFalco
            June 25, 2013 at 3:50 pm

Accidents happen all the time. Let’s not confuse a failure to prepare and a failure to watch this child with an actual accident. The child accidentally fell or jumped into the pool…the fact that nobody was even watching him was a preventable tragedy. From what I know of the call, nobody knew the child was in the pool….and nobody knew he was even outside.

Like I said, if somebody was watching the kid outside, if the kid fell in then the parent could immediately get in before the child is even under.

• leticia
            June 30, 2013 at 8:02 am

If you are the person receiving the calls you shouldn’t be commetting on situation likes it should remain private.. You think you know everything.. Like you said earlier about lessons need to learned.. Well have you ever taught that that they are aware of lesson after they lost there child. Regardless how it happens you and everybody else shouldn’t be judging them. They are the only ones that know what happen and its enough what they are feeling themselves because you dont know how it feels losing somebody and questioning yourself so leave them alone MR.PERFECT..Just keeping worring about yours. So keep in eye them like HAWK..

• Isabel
      June 25, 2013 at 10:55 am

This was just a horrible accident , what gets me is that people are so quickly to judge without knowing any details. Maybe you should keep your bad judgement to yourself. Jason baby R.I.P

• Dee
      June 25, 2013 at 3:22 pm

I agree with you … I used to have a pool & so many parents would ”drop off” their kids for me to ”watch” while they went out shopping or elsewhere…I also had my children in Blue Birds, there again, parents used me as their ”baby-sitter”… Keep doing what you’re doing.. despite what other’s here are saying…It won’t be ”Heartless” if you’ve saved their child’s life…

• heyney
        June 25, 2013 at 3:45 pm

heartless to post comments calling them slow learners and saying to judge them…..yes watch your kids watch others kids when they are with you but its was a horrible accident an ACCIDENT it could happen to anyone even under a watchful eye….people are quick to judge like they have never done anything wrong im sure this family is hurting enough without people who sit behind a computer screen blasting their ill mannered poor taste comments and opinions of what is right and wrong

• leticia
      June 30, 2013 at 7:48 am

Well hope it never happens to you regardless how much precautions you take..Never say never..

6. Abuelo "TICO"
    June 24, 2013 at 6:39 pm

May the power of our lord and Savior comfort my son Michael his wife Valeria and son Julian for their loss. They were great parents, and accidents do happen. My Grandson Jason has now gone to heaven to be in the Glory of God. The grief for many of us will last a life time.
    Jason’s older brother Julian and their soon to join us LiL sister will have fond memories of their brother. My heart aches for all involved, May God Bless all of us…

7. AVGirl
    June 24, 2013 at 6:20 pm

For those questioning the lack of a fence, please be aware that it isn’t the law if the pool was constructed prior to 2007. Though it is a good idea, along with first aide/CPR classes and alarms.

8. dinkywolf
    June 24, 2013 at 6:00 pm

So sad praying for this family

• theresa ceritano
      June 24, 2013 at 6:09 pm

9. theresa ceritano
    June 24, 2013 at 5:26 pm

God bless this little angel who is part of my family let
    Him rest in peace.
    People should not judge or make nasty comments if they
    Dont know the parents god doesnt judge and that babys parents loved and
    Took good care of there children .
    Accedents happen every day let this little angel rest now

10. Priscilla
    June 24, 2013 at 4:42 pm

Don’t be so quick to Judge when you don’t know the Full details! You are a horrible person for saying that about the parents! I don’t have a nice words for your comments other then you are a Monster!
    I hope you don’t have children because poor them!

11. JusticeForAll
    June 24, 2013 at 2:21 pm

:( Poor child. Its a shame how some accidents could’ve been prevented.
    My regards for the family for the loss of their child.

12. Annette
    June 24, 2013 at 2:18 pm

Everyone is so quick to judge people, this was a accident no ones fault, it’s sad but it happened..leave your nasty comments for crack head parents obviously they were good parents, shaking my head shame on you people judging this couple Nd don’t know the facts..RIP LIL GUY…MY CONDOLENCES TO THE FAMILY

13. AVcares
    June 24, 2013 at 11:52 am

Is there a UPDATE???

This article states…The toddler was still clinging to life early Saturday morning, and he was airlifted to a Los Angeles Area children’s hospital for continued treatment, officials said Saturday morning.

Yet, many are saying the child passed away.

Does anyone know for certain???

14. Vanessa
    June 24, 2013 at 9:22 am

This lil boy was my cousins son and people that say they are bad parents they need to stop cuz never once did I see their kids unhappy!!!! It hurts so much for people to say such hurtful things. I love u and god will take care of u my love.

• Annette
      June 24, 2013 at 2:25 pm

So sorry for ur loss….may god be with the family during this hard time, god bless you all

• Vanessa
        June 24, 2013 at 5:51 pm

Thank you for ur kind words :) god bless u

• Marivel
          June 25, 2013 at 1:03 pm

God bless you Jason and your mom ,dad, and all your loved ones may god heal all your pain. I would love to go to Jasons services could you let is know where dates and time so i can attend and pray for him i also pray for him at my home.May god be with you all .

15. kristina
    June 24, 2013 at 8:04 am

Where does it say the boy passed away? ?

16. Dee
    June 24, 2013 at 7:57 am

This happens all to often with ”toddlers”.. My neighbors little boy drowned in their pool too in 2012.. It’s hard to say ”good-bye” to these little Angels.. It’s an ”Accident”, and should be treated as such..I’m sure the parents did nothing intentional and are ”greiving” for their baby.. May their little boy R.I.P..

17. Ivan
    June 23, 2013 at 9:29 pm

People are so quick to talk [removed] when they don’t even know the people on how they are bad parents or what should’ve or could’ve been done well how about you guys just shut the [removed] up and keep your rude ass comment to your self this was my friend and he was a very good dad they were both good parents !!

18. Butterfly
    June 23, 2013 at 6:16 pm

Heart breaking..:( rest in peace baby boy your in the arms of our lord now.. He will heal your pain. To mom n dad I’m so sorry for your loss and although this could have been prevented don’t blame your selfs accidents happen. May The Lord bless you with the strengths you need to help with your pain. In addition you have child on the way I hope you find a way to fence the pool. Don’t let another tragedy happen.

19. SC
    June 23, 2013 at 11:55 am

If my source is correct….then sadly this toddler didn’t make it….

20. June 23, 2013 at 11:05 am

Another failure by the “System”. I have been under the impression that homeowners/renters are mandated to have a fence around the pool and not a cheap fence, but one that locks and is a certain height.
    Lame parents should know that children do sneak-off and a pool is very tempting on a hot summer day.
    These parents should not get off so easy, a citation or mandatory parenting classes are suggested.

• A R
      June 23, 2013 at 10:30 pm

We don’t know the details yet. Your comment seems like a rush to judgement.

• leticia
      June 30, 2013 at 8:10 am

Don’t you think its enough with their lost..So stop assuming what they didnt do..

21. James Stouvenel
    June 22, 2013 at 11:01 pm

What did I tell everyone a week ago? To put up a gate around your pool so kids dont drown and look what happened! People don’t take advice seriously, now maybe they will

June 23, 2013 at 9:46 am

How about mandatory CPR classes for parents before they take their child home?No reason that baby should have had to wait for the paramedics to get some help.Very sad, a few minutes can mean everything in this situation.

• leticia
        June 30, 2013 at 8:14 am

Have you ever stop and think that they might had done CPR before paramedics got to their home.So don’t believe everything you read in the

June 30, 2013 at 8:57 am

If you know that to be true please share, that isn’t what the story says..the story states that the deputies( who so many hate)began cpr.

• nancy
      June 23, 2013 at 10:16 am

Not just a suggestion, or good advice, its the LAW to have gates around the pool. It’s not 100% effective however. I do like the mandatory CPR idea.

22. michelle Alcon
    June 22, 2013 at 8:08 pm

praying for the child hope hes comes out ok