LANCASTER – The suspect believed to be responsible for the recent rash of “hot prowl” burglaries on the eastside of Lancaster has been arrested, authorities said.
Eighteen-year-old Robert Guss was arrested around 9:30 a.m. Wednesday (May 29) and booked at the Lancaster Station in lieu of $50,000 bail. Evidence was found on Guss that links him to several of the burglaries, according to Sgt. Jill Deschamps of the Lancaster Station Burglary Suppression Team.
The teenager is accused of breaking into at least a dozen homes during the night when victims were home sleeping in their beds. This type of crime is referred to as a “hot prowl burglary.”
Authorities last week issued a public safety alert to warn Lancaster residents about the hot prowl burglaries and to advise them to lock their doors and windows at night.
Officials also released video of the alleged hot prowl burglar attempting to gain entry into a Lancaster home. (Read more here).
This public safety alert lead to numerous leads, and the Burglary Suppression Team followed up on every lead, according to Deschamps.
“The investigation involved continuous undercover surveillance operations conducted by the Burglary Team. As a result of the Burglary Suppression Team’s hard work, a suspect was identified and arrested,” Deschamps said in a Lancaster Station news release.
The investigation is still ongoing, and anyone with information is asked to contact the Lancaster Station Burglary Suppression Team at 661-948-8466.
Previous related story: VIDEO: Help catch “hot prowl” burglar