Memorial established for slain Acton business owner

Demyen with wife, Amber, as pictured on a memorial website titled “Honoring Chris Demyen.” View the site here.

Demyen with wife, Amber, as pictured on the memorial website “Honoring Chris Demyen.” View the site here.

ACTON – A memorial website has been created for 39-year-old Christopher Demyen, the Acton Water Company owner shot to death after a dispute on May 15.

Titled “Honoring Chris Demyen,” the site pays tribute to Demyen and aims to raise $20,000 to help support the pregnant wife and two children that Demyen left behind.

According to the website:

“Chris Demyen was the victim of a senseless crime that will be felt for years to come. A loving father, a caring husband and a true friend to everyone who crossed his path was killed May 15th 2013. No one has the right to end a life, especially when the life affects the lives of a whole community. Chris leaves behind a young family with two beautiful children and his wife Amber who is expecting their third child. Chris has been the owner operator of the Acton Water Company for nearly 20 years. The community will always remember his helpfulness and willingness to provide his services even to famil[ies]s who could not afford it. We would appreciate any donations to help with the arrangements as well as allow the family to get back on their feet after this life changing event.”

To view the site and make a donation, click here.

Demyen was shot in the upper torso and died at the scene Wednesday afternoon after a dispute with another man in the 1500 block of Eagle Butte Road, authorities said.

Scott Shipley

Scott Shipley

Acton resident Scott Shipley was arrested for the murder around 3 p.m. Wednesday, May 15 and remains jailed in lieu of $1 million bail. Shipley is due in court Friday (May 17) to answer charges.

Sheriff’s officials said the shooting happened after the two men became involved in an argument “over a vehicle parking issue.”

Anyone with information on this incident is urged to contact the Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau at 323-890-5500.

Previous related story: Business owner shot dead after dispute, suspect in custody

UPDATED 5/17/13: Scott Shipley was charged with one count of murder Friday (May 17), according to the Los Angeles District Attorney’s Office. Shipley appeared in an Antelope Valley courtroom Friday, but his arraignment was postponed until June 17.

UPDATE 8/21/13: SCOTT SHIPLEY TO STAND TRIAL FOR MURDER. After a preliminary hearing today, a Los Angeles Superior Court judge determined there was sufficient evidence for Scott Shipley to stand trial for the murder of Christopher Demyen. Shipley will return to court again on Sept. 21 for a second arraignment, which will be held in room A21 at Antelope Valley courthouse.

15 comments for “Memorial established for slain Acton business owner

1. Jack
    September 26, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Maybe… just maybe… Mr. Shipley’s mug shot looks so bad because he had just been beaten nearly to death by “sweet Chris”.

• Me
      September 26, 2013 at 5:24 pm

Maybe, just maybe (more than likely) you are an idiot. So the answer here is when you get your ass beat, just go get your gun and kill them? Lets not forget who walked away here. and for what? because “Mr.” Shipley is a coward AND an [removed]. …. just saying …

September 12, 2013 at 9:30 am

FIRST condolences to the family

no 1 should ever use a gun in
    arguments & kill its wrong,thats it

ive met scott in 2000 for survice
    not once hav i seen this guy angered
    the actions and happenings unbelievable
    is this the actions of 1 man

3. Starpoint Bill
    May 20, 2013 at 10:51 am

All of you Buckaroos out there who think the 2nd amendment is a God-given right should realize that it can be repealed. There are 100 ways for YOU to get in trouble with YOUR OWN gun. If you’re smart you may have figured out around 25 of them.
    Guns in a civilized society are a menace and it will take time but the next generation is definitely smarter than this one.

My condolences to Chris’ family – I hope you find comfort in the precious memories you have of him.

• Don
      May 22, 2013 at 9:38 am

Hey Starpoint Bill, you are a buffoon and a mind numb robot. In case you haven’t noticed, today’s society (see Obama’s home town, Chicago)is not so civilized due largely in part to scumbags like Shipley. Dirtbags and guys like Shipley will always have access to guns. It’s the good folks allowed to carry guns that can combat this. People like you Starpoint Bill like to complain about guns but then always look for someone else to protect YOU.

September 16, 2013 at 12:26 pm

thats it what makes this case different
        this guy wasn’t a scumbag or a drugie
        he had hi gun safety & i think he was in charge of the police gun safety &target range
        this guy wasn’t a vagrant
        its just unbleaveable

4. NICKI
    May 17, 2013 at 5:46 pm

Kind sweet Chris. Always there everyone . Donated water to the community. Loved his family was a hands on Daddy. Our town his heart broken. We will not see his cute smile ever again. I know he is watching over his family from heaven.

• NICKI
      May 17, 2013 at 5:48 pm

Kind sweet Chris. Always there for everyone . Donated water to the community. Loved his family was a hands on Daddy. Our town is heart broken. We will not see his cute smile ever again. I know he is watching over his family from heaven.

5. Michael Rives
    May 17, 2013 at 11:01 am

I hope the grieving family finds comfort. I know it is a lesson for me. I tend to yell back at a crazy driver or someone doing something in public that is utterly stupid. A family member advised me to not do it. You don’t know anything about the person on the receiving end.

6. Grant
    May 17, 2013 at 10:18 am

Chris was a good man and should not have died, esecially over something so trivial. I remember fight nights with him and Mike, funniest guys I have ever known. He will be missed dearly by loving friends and family.

7. mick
    May 16, 2013 at 10:09 pm

This is so incredibly heartbreaking. This happened over a “vehicle parking issue”. I just don’t understand what is up with people any more. I am going to speak to my boss and see if we can organize some sort of a fund raiser. I’m a waitress at a popular restaurant and hopefully we will be able to help. Wish me luck.

• Holly
      May 16, 2013 at 10:32 pm

I’m keeping my fingers crossed, I’m sure any help would be greatly appreciated.

May 16, 2013 at 10:33 pm

Yah,it is. Shoot some one because they parked on your street,this guy nshould go away for a long,long time.
      just checked out the site that was set up,already over $4,000.00 raised,so this guy was well liked in his community.
      Mr Shipley must be a nut job.

• mick
        May 16, 2013 at 10:49 pm

Just look at his picture! I realize that mugshots are a far cry from glamor shots but JEEZ, this guy just looks wrong!
        And thanks Holly, I’ll do my best and keep everyone posted.

• April Gibson( Evans)
      May 17, 2013 at 10:07 am

I grew up with Chris …And he was a wonderful person…A sweet heart, a daddy & a good friend!!!! He did not deserve any of this…That asshole Scott should be locked up for the rest of his life… He took a wonderful person away from us all!!!!!Especially his beautiful wife, kids,And his mom too!!! Another wonderful person…. Thoughts and prayers to you all… April