Deputy uses Taser to subdue knife-wielding man

New TasersLANCASTER – The new state-of-the-art Tasers recently purchased for the local sheriff’s stations, thanks to a donation from Waste Management, are already being put to good use.

Last week, a Lancaster deputy opted to use the new Taser over deadly force when the deputy was confronted by a knife-wielding man, authorities said.

Around 9 p.m., Wednesday, April 17, Lancaster deputies responded to a home in the 43700 block of Mikosasky Avenue after a caller reported that a man with a knife was threatening to kill his mother, according to Lancaster Community Relations deputy Michael Rust.

When the deputies entered the kitchen area of the home, they were confronted by 23-year-old Paul Salvador, who was armed with a knife and highly agitated, Rust stated.

Salvador refused deputies’ orders to drop the knife and lunged at one of the deputies instead, Rust said.

That deputy deployed one of the newly assigned X26 Tasers to stop Salvador’s advance and was able prevent him from assaulting anyone, Rust stated.

Once incapacitated by the Taser, Salvador was taken into custody without further incident.

Salvador was arrested for making criminal threats and assault on a peace officer, and he was booked at Lancaster Station on $50,000 bail.

The deputy commented that without the new X26 Taser, he would have had little choice but to use deadly force to prevent the assault, Rust said.

For more information regarding the new Tasers, read “New Tasers arrive for local sheriff’s stations.”

57 comments for “Deputy uses Taser to subdue knife-wielding man

1. May 4, 2013 at 3:05 pm

Good god sikntired….Would you please chime in here. You’re the only other voice of reason in this lib-heavy site.

May 4, 2013 at 4:55 pm
      Sorry,trying to figure out what u-verse did to my phones.

The bad guys are always going to find a way to do their thing.It is incumbent upon the good guys to be prepared to defend themselves,since the police come after the fact.
      How would you have liked to be confined to your home by police,as in Cambridge,Ma.,knowing a murderer was on the loose and you with a five shot revolver ,he with an automatic rifle?
      Practice at the range is important for competency and in knowing how to behave but it can also be a sport (target practice)and satisfying to see your accuracy improve therefore recreational.
      As far as live ammo is concerned,the increased cost is encouraging shooters to use dummy rounds,O.K. with me.

• May 4, 2013 at 6:53 pm

I see what you’re saying, but how does one know how accurate they are when shooting blanks????

May 4, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Good question,I had just received an email from the range in which. this was discussed as an option as well as use of snap caps.I guess the price of ammo is going up and people don’t want to waste the real stuff.
          Haven’t tried either but snap caps sound good rather than dry firing to practice handling. I guess that takes the recreation part out of it,huh?
          Important to keep up with the handling part,just cant leave it sitting in a drawer.

• May 4, 2013 at 9:24 pm

But why bother going to the range if you’re just using snap-caps? (Don’t bother responding to this one, Boss. It’s gun talk).

May 4, 2013 at 10:07 pm

If you can’t afford to go,it’s an alternative.Basically I just want to know I can hit something coming up the stairs or through the door.If I had the bucks I’d do more classes but at the very least I know I can defend myself.

May 4, 2013 at 10:14 pm

If I had the bucks I would take more classes but for now I just like to know I can hit an intruder on the stairs or coming through the door.
            Nothing like feeling you that you can defend yourself.

May 4, 2013 at 10:15 pm

Sorry to repeat myself,didn’t think the first one went through.

May 4, 2013 at 10:30 pm
          • May 4, 2013 at 10:43 pm

Great shooting by the old lady. I don’t get what happened to her gun…she wants it back, but I don’t see where she lost it. Maybe I missed it.

May 4, 2013 at 10:46 pm

I think the police probably took it as evidence ?
            Anyway she has a back up, smart lady.

• May 4, 2013 at 10:56 pm

Yeah, I bet she’s got more too….or friends that’ll loan her one. I bet she gets the original one back soon…looks like an open and shut case.

May 4, 2013 at 11:00 pm

One thing for sure,the local miscreants will steer clear of her house.

• May 4, 2013 at 8:09 pm

What occurs is entirely dependent upon the situation. Chances are if he has the drop on you, he will kill you even if you’re armed with a bazooka. Having the same type of weaponry doesn’t even the odds. What good would a semi-automatic rifle do you if your enemy has a 5 shot revolver and shoots you in the back?

Do you think there’s going to be an old western shootout in a saloon? Its more likely that whoever is getting shot at will either run away, hide or be killed. Moreover, what if there are multiple assailants with 5 shot revolvers and only you with a semi-auto rifle? You’ll get gunned down just the same. The type of weaponry used isn’t really that important.

but thanks for semi-agreeing with me about the blank rounds at gun ranges… apparently though, Otto thinks you’re an idiot too now.

@PO’d…. imo yeah but its not something worth fighting for. It will never happen. The people are too stupid to know what they need. However there should be stricter regulations. I like the idea of people needing to blow on a car breathalyzer. If it detects that the driver is intoxicated, the car won’t run. Its a good solution, but again the complainers will do what they do best. Its like people want solutions but when one comes along that can help, they won’t allow it if it inconveniences them…

May 5, 2013 at 11:08 am

O.k. BB, let’s get something straight.I do not agree with you.I am saying that because of the cost of ammo people are opting for other ways to practice.
          Personally I love the smell of gunpowder at the range, kind of like Robert Duvall in Apocolypse Now.Remember that line “I love the smell of napalm in the morning, smells like victory”.
          If Otto thinks I am an idiot, I am sure he would have no problem telling me that.
          If you think I am an idiot, well all I can say about that is, whatever you think of me is none of my business.

• May 5, 2013 at 11:26 am

BB is putting words in my mouth because I’m defeating his contentions every time. No, Sik is not an idiot and his viewpoints are pretty much in line with mine. BB said that NO live ammo should be allowed at ranges. That comment is very telling about him.

• May 5, 2013 at 11:14 am

Well, at least in your utopia I’ll have my “non-semi-automatic handgun” to protect myself. And I’ll be evenly matched with my opponents because all those evil semi-autos will disappear from the hands of criminals. I don’t mean to pry, but did you vote for Obama by any chance?

May 5, 2013 at 11:33 am

but you can shoot your double barreled shotgun up in the air,not to worry!

• May 5, 2013 at 12:06 pm

Yeah. “Two blasts” of 00 buckshot into the air. I’m sure it’s ok, as long as that brilliant guy said to do it.

May 5, 2013 at 12:24 pm

Ha ha, I was watching a Ted Cruz news bite this morning, guy is pretty funny.Maybe he can breathe some new life into the repubs.

• May 5, 2013 at 3:32 pm

I hope so. Somebody needs to!

• PO'd Yank
            May 5, 2013 at 4:58 pm

All this verbiage about guns has made me thirsty. I think I’ll have a martini; if that’s okay with you BB.

May 5, 2013 at 5:16 pm

Before y’all go drink give the eastside kids a vote.

• May 5, 2013 at 6:39 pm

Don’t do it, Yank!…..without inviting us normal thinkers.

• PO'd Yank
            May 5, 2013 at 7:12 pm

To Otto & Sik, the bar is open.

• May 5, 2013 at 9:12 pm

I better take a cab just to be safe.

May 6, 2013 at 2:23 pm

Good idea,we’ve had enough bad MVA headlines lately.

• May 4, 2013 at 8:35 pm

Lol, I can’t believe I missed that link. You brought up another mass stabbing? Great, I did two. Do you know what they both have in common? Nobody died…

At Sandy Hook, over 20 people died…

• May 4, 2013 at 9:20 pm

I get it….stabbings are ok as long as no one is killed. Great logic. Oh yeah, and the Boston thing wasn’t that bad because only three were killed…right?

• May 5, 2013 at 6:53 am

Well of course you would say that.

No, I don’t think people going on mass stabbings is okay. The bigger point which you neglected was that when someone goes on a stabbing spree, the number of deaths is considerably lower (in the two cases already shown, no one died) than if it were with a gun. This is constant. A gun is a much more dangerous weapon than a knife. These are weapons that can kill/injure many people in a matter of seconds, that’s not something you can do with a knife unless you’re The Flash.

There’s simply no comparison. Its laughable when people try to liken them to cars, rocks etc. Apples & oranges. The fact is simply that a gun’s only purpose is to shoot and kill.

• Otto
            May 5, 2013 at 10:31 am

And they are loud and mean looking too. Ewwwwwww.

May 5, 2013 at 11:11 am

Hey Otto, check out the A.V.Press question of the week today.It will do your heart good.

• May 5, 2013 at 11:19 am

Thanks…will check it.

2. PO'd Yank
    May 4, 2013 at 2:21 pm

@ Big Boss. We should also ban alcohol?? Ever hear of Prohibition? That really worked; added new meaning to ‘Organized Crime’. News flash…the liquor lobby in this state and country are too powerful to ever let that happen again. Some folks still belong to the Flat Earth Society.

3. May 4, 2013 at 10:02 am

The funny thing about that is that knives have legitimate uses. A gun’s only purpose is to kill. That’s what it was created for. If you want to use the argument that we should ban knives, then why not ban rocks since some people have been stoned to death? Everything would be banned because damn near anything can be used to kill. I can probably beat someone to death with a pillow if I try hard enough. The difference between guns and knives, rocks or what have you is that a gun’s only purpose is to shoot. What, besides killing, can be so useful about shooting a bullet?

The argument that guns can be used for recreational purposes in ranges etc is imo a farce. Practicing at a range should be a requirement, not a recreational activity. And neither should there be live ammunition being used at ranges… I’m pretty sure Chris Kyle is wishing the rounds used at gun ranges were blanks right about now…

I’m not against gun ownership, but I also don’t think people need military grade weaponry. You can argue the semantics all you want, but if a weapon can cause the type of damage done at Sandy Hook then it doesn’t need to be available to civilians…

Hunting-appropriate weapons should only be available to people who hunt, and simple, non-semi-automatic handguns should only be available for home protection…

• May 4, 2013 at 10:20 am

Sorry man, but it’ll never happen. Not all guns are made to kill. Some knives ARE meant made to kill. So are most arrows for that matter. I don’t know when the libs will learn, but it’s a mental health issue. Your example is correct; If we’re banning guns, then why not cars, knives, rocks, bombs, etc. Guns are fun, interesting, useful, and a right….deal with it.

• May 4, 2013 at 11:24 am

lol give me an example of a ‘gun’ that is not made to kill…

the only thing I can think of is toy guns… and besides, its beside the point because the guns that people talk about banning or heavily restricting are the ones that are meant to kill… You can keep your non-lethal toy guns…

Yeah, mental health may play a part in some of these cases, but don’t try to cloud the fact that on the very same day that the Sandy Hook massacre occurred, another nut went on an attempted killing spree in Asia with a knife. He knifed a bunch of kids, but the difference there was that nobody died from their injuries. That’s the difference. Yeah, mental health plays a part but so do the weapons when those weapons are the primary choice in most of these incidents, especially since that weapon’s entire purpose anyway is to kill…

I would like to know though, when was the last time a mass killing was committed using…. arrows?

• May 4, 2013 at 1:05 pm

Lol, here ya go: Do you really think that this is one of your evil people-killing machines? So annoying arguing with someone who hasn’t a clue about firearms. Why are you so concerned about “mass killings”. There are exponentially larger numbers of people killed by drunk drivers and other auto accidents. Besides, the only way to defend yourself in a mass killing situation is with firepower. Get a grip.

• May 4, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Didn’t I already state nobody is coming after your toy guns?

Yes a good way to defend yourself during a massacre is with fire power, another way is also to prevent that massacre from occurring at all. A good way to prevent that type of massacre from occurring would be to not allow those type of weapons in civilian’s hands. I don’t need to be an authority on firearms to deduce that firearms were created to kill. or that certain firearms are more powerful than others, and certain firearms can spit multiple rounds in just a second depending on how fast you can pull the trigger. These other more powerful guns are the ones that did the damage at Sandy Hook and the Colorado Theater. That type of weaponry has no place in civilian hands.

That more people die from drunk driving than from firearms is an issue too and its being addressed heavily. Still, a lot more needs to be done and no one is ignoring that. What you’re doing by bringing that up though is trying to shift the issue. And for what? What’s your end goal in bringing that up? Do you have a solution? If we brought up a solution for that, none could be more effective than outright banning alcohol (which is what should happen imo since people have proven themselves to be too irresponsible with it) but you’d complain about that too.

People die from drinking and driving so let’s just forget about guns? No way. They’re both BIG problems.

lol, you know what’s even funnier. The only gun you could bring up was a ‘one of a kind’… literally. There was only one available and its now out of stock… lol Nobody is going after non-lethal guns…

• May 4, 2013 at 1:40 pm

I see….so that gun can’t kill anyone…it’s just a .22. I’d suggest driving your Prius or riding your bike to the library and doing a little research. PS- That gun IS pretty mean looking…so I suggest you fight to ban it as well.

• May 4, 2013 at 2:14 pm

Ps- How do we “not allow those types of weapons in civilians’ hands”? Good luck there. I can see it now. Psychos and mass murders lining up to turn in their evil guns because the law requires it. Time to get back into the real world now, Boss. No more dreamland for you.

• May 4, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Sorry, I’m a little slow today….I just realized that you’re being facetious after reading your “no live ammo at firing ranges”….only an 1diot would say that and be serious.

• May 4, 2013 at 1:45 pm

and so the name-calling begins… lol

I love this part of the debate. The part where the other guy can’t come up with anything, so he’ll pick a part of my post and use it as an excuse to start flinging insults…

• May 4, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Why is driving a Prius or riding a bike an insult? Shame on you.

May 4, 2013 at 11:25 am

4. sikntired
    May 3, 2013 at 12:42 pm

C’Mon Otto,he only had a knife,not a dreaded gun.

• May 3, 2013 at 2:17 pm

Yeah, actually if we could just ban knives, the cops could leave their guns AND tasers in their cars.

May 3, 2013 at 10:17 pm

and it would be just a wonderful world,wouldn’t it.Have some Kool-Aid.

• May 4, 2013 at 9:03 am

A Lib paradise.

5. Adam Chant
    May 3, 2013 at 8:19 am

Now deputies need to put GoPro camera chest mounts on themselves too so we can watch the extremely entertaining videos of someone being tased..

Bla bla bla..
    Tick tick tick
    [ Timber ]
    Suspect in Custody

6. AVfubar
    April 26, 2013 at 10:17 am

Sweet! I’d feel a lot safer walking the streets of AV with one of those.

7. ed
    April 25, 2013 at 9:59 pm

Now if we can just get the officers to leave their guns in the car.

• AVfubar
      April 26, 2013 at 10:18 am

We need to keep those officers armed at all times. Loser.

• Mi
      April 26, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Ed you must be [removed]. Officers will never leave their weapons in the vehicle because of idiot people like this one. This guy was lucky that the office didnt shot him.

• Otto
        May 3, 2013 at 12:07 pm

What a waste of batteries!!! Should have turned the fool into Swiss cheese. And Ed, I surmise that you’re a lib….correctamundo?

8. T-Bone
    April 25, 2013 at 7:02 pm

Should have shot him!

• Yo Mama
      May 6, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Here, here!!! wants to kill his mother? His only mother? Should’ve shot him…