Driver airlifted to hospital after collision with flatbed truck

Lancaster resident Mark Scott Timmons was airlifted to the hospital with major injuries after his vehicle was partially pinned under a flatbed truck in a collision Wednesday morning. (Image courtesy CHP)

ANTELOPE VALLEY – A 59-year-old Lancaster man suffered major injuries and had to be airlifted to the hospital Wednesday morning after he collided with a flatbed truck that ran a stop sign in an Antelope Valley intersection, authorities said.

The incident happened around 6:10 a.m. Wednesday on 90th Street East at Avenue E, according to a California Highway Patrol report.

Heladio Serrano, 66, of Lancaster, was driving a 1992 GMC flatbed truck northbound on 90th Street East when he failed to come to a complete stop at a posted stop sign and proceeded through an intersection at approximately two to three miles per hour, directly into the path of 1986 Volvo, the CHP report states.

The Volvo was being driven by 59-year-old Mark Scott Timmons of Lancaster, who was going eastbound on Avenue E at approximately 62 miles an hour, the CHP report states.

Both vehicles collided, and the front of the Volvo was pinned under the bed of the truck.

Timmons sustained major injuries, including a broken sternum, multiple fractured right side ribs, trauma to the upper right side of chest, abrasions to the right hand and arm, abrasions to the left knee, and facial injuries. He was airlifted to Antelope Valley Hospital for treatment.

Serrano did not sustain any injuries in the collision, according to the CHP report.

The traffic collision is still under investigation.

15 comments for “Driver airlifted to hospital after collision with flatbed truck

1. kim
    March 23, 2013 at 10:44 am

The person yhat dod not come to a complete stop you should not have a license .

2. Claire Timmons Comnick
    March 14, 2013 at 3:29 pm

The man injured in this accident is my ex-husband. I was devistated when I heard this. I hope he has a speedy recovery and my prayers are with him. He is the father of OUR children and I will always hold a special place in my heart for him.

• Mary Timmons
      March 17, 2013 at 7:18 pm

Mrs Comnick lost all rights to be concern with the injured party who is my husband. She lost it when she divorced him after many affairs and other things not to be discussed with her. The children from that marriage are in their thirties at this time and no longer need to have any discussion regarding their welfare. All she does now is harrass my husband and I, even though she has remarried twice since leaving Mark

• First Wives Club
        March 17, 2013 at 7:27 pm

Mary, let it go.
        Holding onto the anger gives her power to keep you upset and makes you say foolish things for everyone to read. She will always care about him, even if it’s a distorted sense of loyalty.

• Mary Timmons
          March 17, 2013 at 8:01 pm

Actually. I want the harressment to stop, I have no anger there, just pity for the way she treats those around her.

• Jason
            March 23, 2013 at 10:51 am

Is this really the forum in which to air dirty laundry?

3. Pam
    March 14, 2013 at 2:29 pm

My husband was on his way to work when this accident happened. He said he was approximately 5 minutes behind the crash. He said that the CHP was the first on scene when he drove past the accident. I worry about my husband on that long stretch of roads he has to travel to work and things like this happening.

I wish Mark a fast a speedy recovery.

4. Gladys
    March 13, 2013 at 9:40 pm

I hope both men recover.
    Bummer accident, could happen to anyone. At least he isn’t suspected of texting.

• Lori Timmons-Crofutt
      March 14, 2013 at 4:44 pm

Mark is my brother who doesn’t even text when not driving. I don’t know about three other driver.

• Gladys
        March 15, 2013 at 10:58 am

@Lori Timmons-Crofutt,
        I understand Lori, and WAS NOT inferring that Mark was texting. I was referring to another recent accident in which the responsible driver was possibly texting and all his friends and coworkers are defending him.

• Mary Timmons
          March 17, 2013 at 8:46 pm

There are 3 words that are now put together.

Texting – Travel —Tragedy

5. sikntired
    March 13, 2013 at 4:44 pm

Best wishes to Mark Timmons, those injuries not good at any age but especially at 59.

6. Some_Friendly_Journalistic_Advice:-)
    March 13, 2013 at 2:56 pm

This happened in unincorporated Lancaster and its more appropriate to use “Lancaster” in your dateline.

“Antelope Valley” is not an officially recognized entity, it’s the name for a geographic region that spans the border of two separate counties.

When the Daily News or the Los Angeles Times writes a story on an event in the San Fernando Valley, they do not use “San Fernando Valley” in the dateline. Instead, they use the specific community the event is occurring in such as “Reseda –“, “Chatsworth–“,”Woodland Hills–“, etc.

This has been standard forever.

A good source for maintaining journalistic standards is the Reuters Handbook of Journalism which can be accessed here:

Wishing you luck and much success in this online venture! :)

• March 13, 2013 at 4:15 pm

We appreciate the “friendly” advice Richard, but we create our own standards here at The AV Times. We’re happy that you enjoy reading our news site, and enthused that you continue to comment in our online forum (albeit somewhat anonymously). Supporters like you are why we have grown into the number one online news source for the Valley. Do continue to support us in our online venture. As always, thanks for reading!

7. miffed
    March 13, 2013 at 2:27 pm

Of course he didn’t sustain injuries and probably doesn’t have a license either.