DUI checkpoint planned for Lancaster

LANCASTER – Deputies from the Lancaster Station Traffic Unit will be conducting a DUI/Drivers License Checkpoint on Saturday (Dec. 15) at an undisclosed location in Lancaster between the hours of 6:00 pm and 2:00 am.

Deputies will be contacting drivers passing through the checkpoint for signs of alcohol and/or drug impairment.  Deputies will also check for proper licensing and will strive to delay motorists only momentarily. Drivers caught driving impaired can expect jail, license suspension, and insurance increases, as well as fines, fees, DUI classes, other expenses that can exceed $10,000.

“Over the course of the past three years, DUI collisions have claimed two lives and resulted in 112 injury crashes harming 167 of our friends and neighbors,” said Sgt. Paul Pfrehm of the Lancaster Station Traffic Detail.

DUI checkpoints are a proven enforcement tool effective in reducing the number of persons killed and injured in alcohol involved crashes. Research shows that crashes involving alcohol drop by an average of 20 percent when well-publicized checkpoints are conducted often enough.

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), checkpoints have provided the most effective documented results of any of the DUI enforcement strategies, while also yielding considerable cost savings of $6 for every $1 spent.  Checkpoints are placed in locations that have the greatest opportunity for achieving drunk and drugged driving deterrence and provide the greatest safety for officers and the public.

“Deaths from drunk and drug-impaired driving are going down in California,” said Christopher J. Murphy, Director of the California Office of Traffic Safety (OTS).  “But that still means that hundreds of our friends, family and co-workers are killed each year, along with tens of thousands who are seriously injured. We must all continue to work together to bring an end to these tragedies.  If you see a drunk driver, call 9-1-1.”

Funding for this checkpoint is provided to Lancaster Sheriff’s Station by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, targeting those who still don’t heed the message to designate a sober driver.

17 comments for “DUI checkpoint planned for Lancaster

1. Bella Labam
    December 15, 2012 at 8:16 pm

The checkpoint is on Ave J between Challenger and 5th Street East

• Frank Rizzo
      December 16, 2012 at 8:16 am

I think they need these checkpoints in quarts hill.

2. Gladys
    December 14, 2012 at 4:19 pm

I too, believe driving is a right and I also do not want my family killed by a drunk driver.
    I do not believe that you are given the option of not entering the checkpoint. I DID attempt to avoid a checkpoint because I was trying to get to Home Depot before it closed and was followed by police into the Home Depot parking lot. A second police car joined us. I don’t drink ever, and don’t do drugs so I wasn’t worried about that. I had to show my license, registration and insurance card. That all took time and Home Depot closed. grrrr

• Gladys
      December 15, 2012 at 10:14 am

I meant, driving is NOT a right, it is a privledge.

3. Samuel
    December 14, 2012 at 8:33 am

… willful, brazen violation of our civil rights. America’s best days well behind her — asj.

• Thomas
      December 14, 2012 at 9:12 am

Driving is a privilege not a right

• Forward
        December 14, 2012 at 9:19 am

I say they take the fence down on the border since we’re turning into MX with checkpoints.

4. Wayne Luke
    December 14, 2012 at 5:36 am

The real purpose of these checkpoints is to remove unlicensed drivers from the roads. They rarely net any DUIs. They are called sobriety checkpoints because it isn’t legal to stop people and check for their licenses. Impounding vehicles is big business for the city and county.

• Forewarned
      December 14, 2012 at 7:23 am

Assembly Bill 353, sponsored by our Dims in Sacramento became law this year prohibit police from impounding cars at sobriety checkpoints if a motorist’s only offense is being an unlicensed driver.

• The Anti-REX
      December 14, 2012 at 7:23 am

Funding for this checkpoint is provided to Lancaster Sheriff’s Station by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety. (ie Taxpayer Money!)

This does nothing but fatten up wallets of selected sheriffs . It would be much more productive by adding more patrols throughout the city.
      I wish my employer could “create” overtime right before Christmas, could use some easy cash.
      Must be nice.

• Thomas
        December 14, 2012 at 8:28 am

I don’t care if they are unlicensed, suspended, or dui. If they are off the roads it is good for everyone. I also think that timing has more to do with holiday parties. It is attitudes like yours that are the first to complain when a drunk driver kills someone. Besides I am sure there are easier ways to make money besides standing in the cold checking drivers.

5. The Anti-REX
    December 13, 2012 at 8:56 pm

A clear violation of our civil rights.

• Forewarned
      December 14, 2012 at 7:11 am

Not necessarily. In the 1987 California Supreme Court Case of Ingersol v. Palmer, the key to all Fourth Amendment issues was reasonableness. In determining whether a particular roadside sobriety checkpoint is constitutionally valid, courts will examine a number of factors or limitations. One is whether Officials provided advance publicity and notification of the sobriety checkpoint. Which in this case they have.

• The Anti-REX
        December 14, 2012 at 7:28 am

California Supreme Court…
        Don’t think this court is working for the interest of the people and the Constitution.

• Frank Rizzo
          December 15, 2012 at 8:07 am

I agree, the courts have not worked in the interest of the people for many many years. The court system and judicial system is a joke.

• ...
        December 14, 2012 at 8:26 am

And they are required to give you a legal way to avoid the checkpoint after signage is posted. So, if you enter even after reading the signs, and ignoring the “last chance” way to go around it, you’ve pretty much given them your consent.

• Thomas
      December 14, 2012 at 8:33 am

Driving is a privilege not a right. Equal protection under the law is a right. I don’t want 1 of these drunk idiots killing my family