Woman robbed at gunpoint at drive-up ATM

The alleged robbery occurred at this Chase Bank at 1261 West Rancho Vista Boulevard, authorities said. Photo by LUIS MEZA.

PALMDALE – Two armed thieves, with ripped T-shirts covering their faces, ambushed and robbed a woman at a drive-up ATM this morning, authorities said.

The incident happened around 12:15 a.m. Thursday at Chase Bank at 1261 West Rancho Boulevard, according to Palmdale Community Relations Deputy Robbie Royster.

The victim was using the drive-up ATM when the first suspect jumped on the hood of her vehicle, brandished a firearm and demanded everything she had, Royster said.

The thief snatched the woman’s deposit envelope and ATM card before jumping alongside the passenger door, Royster said.

Then a second suspect appeared at the rear passenger door, the woman told deputies.

Both suspects opened the doors, looked into the woman’s vehicle and then grabbed the woman’s purse, which was sitting on the passenger seat, Royster said.

The thieves then fled the location on foot.

The suspects are described as two Black males, both in their mid-20s, wearing black hooded sweatshirts with ripped black T-shirts covering the lower area of their faces.

One man was approximately 5’7” to 5’10” with a slender build wearing blue jeans and black Converse shoes. The other man was described as having a medium build.

Anyone with information on this crime is urged to contact the Palmdale Sheriff’s Station at 661-272-2400. To report information anonymously, call Crimestoppers at 800-222-8477.

11 comments for “Woman robbed at gunpoint at drive-up ATM

1. Lily
    October 16, 2012 at 11:16 am

I agree it was very late to be going to the bank. But to “Call it Like I see it” – I don’t think the color of these people is what compelled them to do this. A lot of people are going through some tough times right now. Most of us don’t resort to this type of behavior and those who do should be punished. But I don’t think it’s fair to judge an entire race for what a few of them do. These 2 men don’t represent all blacks.

2. Nancy
    September 23, 2012 at 12:43 am

If I was dumb enough to go to an ATM in the middle of the night, I might expect something like this to happen. I’d have stepped on the gas as soon as the guy jumped onto the hood of my car. He would have been hanging on for dear life as I sped off down the street! Know that cowardly pos X 2.

3. big chula
    September 22, 2012 at 10:24 am

Hey my wife got her purse snatched…..thank god she left her EBT card at home

• Quigley
      September 22, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Really Chula….not sure if I should laugh, cry, or get pissed off!

• ryenisha jackson
      October 5, 2012 at 2:12 pm

hahaha ahahah

4. ryenisha jackson
    September 21, 2012 at 9:00 pm

why would anyone go to the ATM after midnight Especially in compton….. oh I mean palmdale

5. Adam Chant
    September 21, 2012 at 9:23 am

Mall employees often use ATM’s for deposit at the end of each night. Back in the day we used to have to drive all the way to the BofA on 9th East and make the deposit. Hopefully that was not the case because a lot of money could have been taken from the victim.

It’s always been a minor problem with corporate employers in that they don’t want to have hundreds of random accounts all over the country when the company’s bank is not in the mall. Sounds like a simple solution at face value, but in function it’s a nightmare. Generally now employees are required to make deposits with a witness so there is less chance of being taken advantage of or faking a robbery.

People need to be aware of their surroundings and not assume that just because you are in your car you are safe.

• Nancy
      September 23, 2012 at 12:49 am

Don’t businesses have a safe to keep the cash in overnight and have the armored car pickup during the daytime? Going to a bank with the business deposit is a dangerous task for an employee to be expected to do. I hope they get hazard pay.

6. Call it like I see it
    September 21, 2012 at 7:07 am

Black males……AGAIN!

7. Quigley
    September 20, 2012 at 9:24 pm

WHY would anyone drive thru a bank ATM at midnight, especially in the crime ridden AV! Wake up stupid!

8. Palmdale_Steve
    September 20, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Don’t worry, this was up by the mall so the Sheriff will be all over this crime.