Woman struck by car still clinging to life

Photo by LUIS MEZA.

The impact knocked the woman out of her shoes and sent her airborne, deputies on scene said.

LANCASTER – A 43-year-old woman was still in severe critical condition Tuesday after being struck by a car in Lancaster this past weekend, authorities said.

The incident occurred around 8 p.m. Friday on 10th Street West near Avenue J-13, according to Lancaster Community Relations Deputy Michael Rust.

Rust said the woman had been attempting to cross 10th Street West.

“She was seen running across the street, and [she] ran right in front of a car,” Rust said. “She suffered massive injuries.”

The driver of the vehicle that struck the woman was not injured.

13 comments for “Woman struck by car still clinging to life

1. Fernie
    September 18, 2012 at 4:49 pm

jesus. i feel for this woman but wtf was she thinking. i seen so many people get hit while not being patient enough to wait for the [removed] light. im sorry but she honestly did look for this herself.

2. richie
    September 18, 2012 at 3:43 pm

i jaywalk all the time across ave j but there is a divider in the middle of the road and where i want to go ,i have to walk 1/4 mile in each direction to get to the cross walk not happening they need to add some crosswalks to areas so i wont have to walk that far

3. Adam Chant
    September 18, 2012 at 1:51 pm

I agree 100% with your statement Ana. I began to write a long winded comment along the exact same lines, but got tied up at work and closed out my browser before posting.

It is one thing to jaywalk across a small 2 lane road that is 35 MPH, but where I see the most problem is places where it’s 4 lanes wide, high traffic and high vehicle speeds.

I don’t know that citations issued to those who jaywalk will do much good. And I would argue that our boys at TCAL And NAACP would be back to discuss how those citations are unfairly targeting minorities and people who don’t drive. The real answer is to have some blatant offender citations issued and a real effort of education of the community toward the safety risk of jaywalking in the Antelope Valley.

Taking it down to the worst instances, what happens when a jiffy cart driver “a 47%-er” (my new term for the day) jay-drives across avenue I and 10th and gets hit by a car? The damage would be extensive for the car and the 47%-er and who pays for the losses?

• CaptainObvious
      September 18, 2012 at 8:40 pm

You hit it right on the head. Our cops are screwed either way. No matter how many pedestrians are hit by cars,if they stop and ticket someone for jaywalking, the (usually) minority will scream racism, and the usual suspects (TCAL-DOJ-etc) start whining. Even some of the “regular” folks will say “don’t they have anything better to do than give people tickets for jaywalking?” Hell, Ace thinks the cops only write tickets to get the city money anyway. If they don’t stop the jaywalker, everyone says they’re not doing their jobs, and more people get killed. Really people, look at the jaywalkers. In most (not all) cases they are within 20 feet of a crosswalk, but too lazy to use it, sort of like their mentality on the rest of their life—lazy.

• Quigley
      September 18, 2012 at 9:37 pm

Really “educate” on how to cross the street?? If you’re that stupid then perhaps you should keep your dumb ass at home!

• September 20, 2012 at 6:37 am

Dumb people can be.violated to

4. anotherdummy
    September 18, 2012 at 1:39 pm

I never wish injury upon anyone, but I hope this incident can serve as a warning to others.

5. Ana
    September 18, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Well I feel badly for the woman, but it’s about time that the police do something about the jaywalkers in this city. How hard is it for people to walk to the crosswalks. I swear that I see more and more people jaywalking and a cop drives right by them instead of stopping them and citing them for jaywalking. I’d like to know why the police don’t do anything about jaywalkers when they see them. I don’t like jaywalkers because first of all what they do is wrong and they put their own lives and the lives of the motorists at risk. I mean come on, I even see people jaywalking across a busy intersection with a baby in the stroller. It’s just so stupid. It needs to stop. I hope she learned from this and never does it again though it shouldn’t take something like this to happen in order for people to open their eyes, be smart, and obey the law.

• New to this town
      September 18, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Totally agree with you. In my area, what I see more is black male (this is in my experience and what I have see, not being racist here lol) doing it a few feet from the cross street or light AND even as far as crossing when whey have a red light and I have a green light. I have to stop and watch them stare straight at me, like they own the street.
      This has got to stop, and just like motorists are stopped for speeding, talking on their phones and driving, running a red light or stop sign, so should pedestrians. Just my opinion.

• Carlos G
      September 18, 2012 at 4:20 pm

I think the Sheriffs are a little paranoid about stopping jay walkers at this time, in light of the recent media coverage of the deputy that shot that one jaywalker 6 times.

• Adam Chant
        September 18, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Die by the car or by the gun.. either way jaywalking will get you killed. just kidding..

Deputies can’t be paranoid about doing their job or they will fail be effective. While that incident is a tragedy for both the deputy and the victim there are too many unknowns in the case to let it weight on the task at hand.