Upcycling recipes is the practice of taking leftover ingredients and transforming or repurposing them into a dish of greater use and value, leading to a more gourmet type dish or menu item for a healthy lifestyle.
— Ingredients —
- 4 cups macaroni and cheese
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cup green bean casserole
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 Tbs flour
- 1 can mushrooms, drained (4 oz)
- 1/4 cup onions, chopped
- 2 Tbs parsley – Italian, chopped
- A pinch of nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
— Procedure —
- Chop green bean casserole and set aside in a large bowl.
- Chop onions and add to chopped green bean casserole.
- Chop tomatoes and add to previously chopped ingredients.
- Chop tomatoes and parsley and add to other chopped ingredients.
- Add mushrooms to chopped ingredients.
- In another large bowl, beat eggs.
- Gradually whip in flour to milk, making sure there are no lumps.
- Whip spices and milk into eggs.
- Add macaroni and cheese to milk and egg mixture.
- Stir to break up macaroni and cheese.
- Stir in green bean mixture.
- Ladle into pie pan or round casserole.
- Top with cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, then uncover and bake 10 more minutes or until set.
- Let cool 10 minutes before cutting to serve.
- Serve with a small side green salad.
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- Cooking Time: 40 minutes
- Inactive Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour and 30 minutes
- Oven temperature: 350°F
Serving size: 1/4 of a recipe (4.1 ounces).
Percent daily values based on the Reference Daily Intake (RDI) for a 2000 calorie diet.
Nutrition information calculated from recipe ingredients.
- Substitute collard greens for green beans.
- Substitute 1 cup Mama Vega*s Salsa for chopped tomatoes. (Available at Albertsons.)
- Substitute cheddar cheese with Pepper Jack cheese.
**Mama Vega also provides personal catering services for groups or individuals addressing specific dietary needs. Feel free to ask for assistance at www.mamavega.com or 661-532-VEGA.
Get YOUR FREE E-Book at Mama Vega*s Products , www.Facebook.com/mamavegasbistro
Antelope Valley residents ordering our products online will have their shipping cost refunded when they pick up their product in person at Alliance Business and Shipping 5022 W. Ave N., Suite 102, Palmdale, CA 93551, phone 661-722-2221. We will call you to verify you will pick up your shipment.
A certified nutritionist, Mama Vega specializes in “Upcycled and Repurposed Cuisines ™” to enhance healthy lifestyle choices economically.**