A personal injury can cause a lot of problems and disruptions in a person’s life. Their injury could leave them debilitated and unable to work, they could have medical expenses they need to pay, they could have damaged property that needs to be repaired, and more. Plus, there could be non-economic problems to worry about as well, like the inability to enjoy former activities, depression, PTSD, etc.
Fortunately, when someone suffers an injury that was caused by another party’s negligence, they have the right to get compensation from them—or rather, their insurance company. However, they will need the help of an experienced personal injury lawyer if they want to receive the maximum possible compensation. The reason is that a lawyer will be familiar with the systems and procedures that are required when filing a personal injury claim. The average person wouldn’t know about them, and it would be too much to ask them to learn about them while recovering from their injury. That is why the law firm of Ogg, Murphy & Perkosky, P.C. recommends that any personal injury victim contact an attorney as soon as possible.
How a Personal Injury Attorney Can Help You
If you suffer a personal injury and need maximum compensation, you need a personal injury lawyer. Here are some of the ways that a lawyer can help you:
- They can gather more evidence. An attorney can gather evidence an ordinary person wouldn’t have access to, such as surveillance camera footage, police reports, and cellphone company records, all of which can be very useful.
- An attorney can accurately calculate your damages. You might need compensation but not know how much you are owed. If that is the case, your lawyer can tally your various medical bills, lost wages, and other expenses to determine how much your settlement amount should be. They will also be able to figure out how much your non-economic damages are worth as well.
- Your attorney will negotiate with the insurance company. The insurance company will likely make an initial offer that is too low to cover your expenses. Your attorney can reject that offer and negotiate with them to get you a fair settlement.
These are just a few of the ways a personal injury attorney can help you. They can also make sure your claim is filed on time before the statute of limitations expires, represent you in court if a trial becomes necessary, and so much more.
Choosing a Personal Injury Attorney
Since a personal injury lawyer is so useful, it is vital that you choose the right one. Here are some methods that can help you:
- Referrals – These could be referrals from friends or family who have recently retained a personal injury lawyer, or even other non-personal injury lawyers. You can ask friends and family if they would recommend the attorney they used, while other attorneys should know about personal injury attorneys in your area.
- Online Directories – Sites like Nolo have a comprehensive list of attorneys from all over the country. That list features detailed information, like their education and experience level, fee structure, and more.
- Consultations – Most personal injury lawyers offer free consultations, so you can use them to discuss your case and get to know the lawyer on a more personal level.
- Client Testimonials – You can ask a lawyer to refer you to their previous clients so you can know how they felt about working with them. You can also check sites like Yelp to get a general idea of how previous clients felt about them.