One of the main responsibilities of parents is to ensure the safety of their children. Modern life is unpredictable and dangerous. From an early age, it is necessary to develop the attentiveness of a child and the ability to act in an unusual situation. However, there are certain rules that every kid should know and strictly follow. And the earlier you start teaching your kid, the better it is.
Recommendations for Parents
Parents should not go to extremes, some of them do not let the child leave until adolescence. In this case, children cannot adapt well and ensure their own safety, because they rely on relatives. Other parents leave babies unattended, at an age when there is no understanding of the danger. So, take note that the process of teaching basic rules of safety should take place gradually. Besides, nowadays, parents can use handy tools like a smart watch for kids that enables them to keep control over the location and environment of their children. Do not neglect this possibility.
Beginning of education
Education should be appropriate for the child’s age and level of psychological development:
- You can start learning the rules of safe behavior in a game form. This technique will be preferable for children of 4-6 years old. They often associate themselves with toys, willingly get involved in the process. You can come up with a game “What if you are lost?” The favorite doll or toy of your kid can become the main character.
- For children of primary school age, there will be an interesting role-playing game. You can play a scene of what to do in an emergency on the street. In a relaxed atmosphere, you can discuss options for behavior and possible mistakes.
- For teenagers, the conversation will be effective. It is necessary to stipulate safe places for walking, actions in an emergency, emergency phone numbers, algorithms for behavior on the street in dangerous situations.
Here are other recommendations for parents who try to teach their kids the basics of safe behavior:
- Do not intimidate the child, bring sad statistics, police reports. By doing this, you will only cause stress and distrust of the world. You should focus on the rules of safe behavior that can prevent trouble on the street.
- Be a personal example to your child. If you cross the road with your child when the traffic light is red, then you should not be surprised when the child violates safety rules.
- It is crucial to build a relationship of trust with your child. In this case, it will be easier for you to make your kid talk to you. If the child has fears and doubts, he/she is more likely to share with you.
- When allowing a child to walk alone to the street, you should not give them an expensive mobile phone, jewelry, or hang the key from the front door around their neck.
- The child should not receive large sums of money. You need to explain to your kid that it is necessary to be especially careful in transport and when paying for purchases. Malicious people can see the money and try to get it.
The Child Must Learn These Rules by Heart
These are not recommendations but strict rules your kid should know for sure before you allow them to go out without you:
- It is prohibited to talk with unfamiliar people without the presence of a parent or familiar adult person.
- It is not allowed to sit with unfamiliar people in a vehicle.
- If the child has a feeling of anxiety, danger, resistance, it is necessary to run, scream, and use self-defense items.
- It is prohibited to accept gifts and food from an unfamiliar person.
- In any doubtful situation, it is necessary to get in touch with parents.
- Children should help a stranger on the street. If anyone asks for help, you should not react. After all, an adult person (or another kid) can ask adults for help, not kids.
- It is necessary to be extremely careful when entering the staircase and elevator. If the child noticed a suspicious person, then it is better not to enter the elevator.