By Iveta Burns
The overall duct cleaning cost isn’t determined by one factor. There are a number of factors that contribute to the overall cost of cleaning the ducts. For instance, the total cost will depend on the total number of vents, the kind of ductwork you need, number of floors in your home as well as how easy it is to access the HVAC system.
But with all that, one thing you should determine first is whether you need duct cleaning. In this piece, Comfort Clean is going to tell you some signs to watch that show you need duct cleaning, the benefits, duct cleaning cost, some possible scams and why you should always insist on having your ducts cleaned by a professional.
1. Advantages Of Cleaning Your Air Ducts
Sometimes homeowners are scared of cleaning their home’s air ducts, especially when they are presented with high duct cleaning cost by their duct cleaners. However, avoiding cleaning your ducts it is likely to cause more problems in future that will even cost you more money.
Carrying out duct cleaning is advantageous, especially if you have bought a new home and you don’t know the status of the HVAC system. If cleaned well, your HVAC system will function efficiently, and you will pay less energy bills.
2. Signs You Need Duct Cleaning
a. No Air Filter
If your HVAC system has been operating without an air filter, or maybe you haven’t replaced it for a while, it is high time you considered cleaning your ducts. Air filters play a significant role in preventing dust and other contaminants from getting into your HVAC system. If they are missing or dirty, then dust, debris and dirt can accumulate in your HVAC system and ducts and make them inefficient.
b. There Is Visible Debris, Dust And Dirt
Dust, dirt and debris can be a bother if not cleaned for a long time. So, if you see them, you should call a professional to clean your ducts before the problem becomes bigger.
c. Visible Growth Of Mold
Mold can make your home unlivable. Besides, it is a health hazard that can have a toll on your health. So, if you see mold growth in your home, you don’t have time to ask how much is air duct cleaning cost, but call a professional duct cleaner right away to eliminate it. Remember that mold growth can signify even much bigger problem in your home, and that is why you should always call a professional to handle an issue like this.
d. Poor Air Flow
If you notice there is inconsistent airflow from the vents, you should consider duct cleaning right away.
e. Unusual Noises
Sometimes you could be resting in your home and hear some noises coming from the vents. This may mean that air is not flowing freely through the vents. This could signify even more significant issue, so it is essential to get your ducts cleaned.
3. How Much Is Air Duct Cleaning Cost?
Various factors determine duct cleaning cost. However, the average cost as reported by Comfort Clean is roughly $336. However, this cost is determined by several other factors, as highlighted below.
- The time taken to complete duct cleaning. On average, duct cleaning work takes at least 3 hours, each hour costing $50.
- Total number of vents in your house. Remember that all the vents will require to be removed one by one, and then the ducts cleaned. So each vent will cost $30-$40.
- The level of dirt in your ducts. The duct cleaning cost is directly proportional to the level of dirt in the ducts. If the ducts are so dirty, it will cost you an extra $100 for deep clean.
- Ease of access. Sometimes the HVAC system is located in inaccessible areas which are challenging to reach. In this case, the labor costs shoot, and that adds to the overall duct cleaning cost.
- Existing damage. If your cooling and heating system is damaged, it can be exposed by cleaning the ducts. This will be costly.
Now that you know how much air duct cleaning costs, it is the right time to have your ducts cleaned by a professional.