PALMDALE – The city of Palmdale’s Public Art Committee has selected a poem by Palmdale resident Tyler Farrell as the winning entry in the City’s “Walk on Words” poetry contest.
An unveiling ceremony was held Wednesday, July 26, as part of the National Night Out festivities at Domenic Massari Park.
As part of city’s Public Art program, entrants were asked to submit original compositions with the theme of “summer” that were no more than 12 lines long, including title, with a maximum of 35 characters per line, including spaces.
Farrell’s work was one of 117 submissions with the theme of “summer.”
The winning poem:
School’s out no more class
Party time have a blast
Keeping busy, I will try
Fireworks in the sky
Sparklers in the dark
BBQs at the park
Slip n slide tons of fun
Cotton candy sweetly spun
Popcorn ready, Movie time
Let’s go it’s summertime.
Honorable mention winners were Jeanne Dewhurst, Jury Magana, Jerzie Speaks, Roger Valdez, Donnie Nitaljones, Kris Johnston, Faith Smoyer, John Guy, Isaiah Alvarez, Jason Coreas and Danielle Molina.
Previous “Walk on Words” winners are:
- 2013 – “What Beauty Holds Us Captive Here,” by Mary Denning; Poncitlán Square
- 2014 – “One Day” by Steven Brito; Palmdale Playhouse
- 2015 – “Summer Fun” by Ed Robinson; DryTown Water Park
- 2015 – “Everyone Has A Story To Tell” by Joan Enguita Willingham; Legacy Commons for Active Seniors
- 2016 – “Guardians Brave Let Palmdale Play” by Louis Denning; Joe Davies Heritage Airpark at Palmdale Plant 42
- 2016 – “Generations of Pioneers” by Mary Denning; Joe Davies Heritage Airpark at Palmdale Plant 42
- 2016 Theme: Parks Make Life Better – by Mitchell Seyfer; Marie Kerr Park
For information on Palmdale’s Public Art Committee, call 661-267-5611.
[Information via news release from the city of Palmdale.]
1 comment for "Tyler Farrell is 2017 “Walk on Words” poetry contest winner"
CAP'N LANCASTER says
That there is a Nice Poem. Mine didn’t win but I likes it a Lot. Here it is. Its called Summer in Antelope Acres an it talks about Summer in the Antelope Acres an it bein Hot an all these Dumb Solar Farms that Ole Rex put in are Ruinin the Place. I hopes ya like it
Summer in Antelope Acres
Summer is hot
Solar Farms is what we Got
We hate them a Lot
Here in Antelope Acres
Ole Rex puts them in
We thinks it’s a Sin
To make sick our Kin
Here in Antelope Acres
Vally Fever is for real
To Ole Rex no big Deal
He lives at the Beach with the Seals
While we’s in Antelope Acres