LANCASTER – The Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors approved a $20,000 reward Tuesday for information leading to the gunman who killed 22-year-old William Clay Settle in Lancaster last month.
Supervisor Michael Antonovich recommended the reward in what he characterized as a gang-related shooting.
“We hope justice will be carried out,” Antonovich told the Settle’s parents.
Settle was shot about 1:20 a.m. Aug. 13 on a walkway at an apartment complex at 1710 East Avenue J-4 in Lancaster. He died at the scene.
Settle, a former all-city tailback at San Fernando High School, was training with the state-run California Conservation Corps and hoped to become a firefighter, his parents told the Board of Supervisors.
Sallie Rouse said her son had earned his second-class firefighter certification and was looking forward to the next step in his training.
The young man’s father thanked the board for posting the reward “to help find this ruthless killer.”
Antonovich asked anyone with information about the crime to call sheriff’s homicide Detective Brandt House at 323-890-5500.
Previous related story: Man shot to death in Lancaster
UPDATE: 29-year-old Myron Urssery was arrested by gang detectives around 3 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 22, in connection with William Settle’s murder. Urssery was charged on Friday, Sept. 23, with one count of murder with gang and gun allegations, according to Jane Robison of the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office. Urssery pleaded not guilty to the charges Friday and his bail was set at $2.09 million, Robison said. A preliminary hearing is set for Oct. 5 to determine if there is enough evidence against Urssery to take the case to trial.