LANCASTER — A 12-year-old boy said he was beaten during a home invasion robbery in Lancaster on Monday, but the story is actually false, authorities concluded Wednesday.
“At this time, investigators do not believe a crime occurred,” Lancaster Community Relations Deputy Joshua Stamsek said in a news release.
The investigation was opened Monday, Jan. 18, after deputies from the Lancaster Sheriff’s Station responded to a duplex at 1020 West Avenue H-14 regarding an assault with a deadly weapon call.
“Upon their arrival, they met with a male juvenile who told deputies he had been a victim of a home invasion robbery perpetrated by two suspects,” Stamsek stated. “[The juvenile said] the incident occurred at his residence while his parents were running errands.”
A thorough investigation was completed at the scene, according to Stamsek, and then the Lancaster Station Robbery Suppression Team interviewed the boy on Tuesday.
“The forensics and physical evidence were inconsistent with the incident described,” Stamsek stated. “[Investigators] also learned the victim had sustained a minor head injury prior to the incident while playing sports in the nearby park and possibly might have received a concussion.”
Deputies do not believe a home invasion robbery occurred, but the investigation is still open, Stamsek said by telephone Wednesday.
“They’re still doing their followups and writing their reports to conclude the investigation,” Stamsek said. “No charges will be brought up against the minor because he truly believed he was a victim of a crime… It’s quite possible that it may have been due to his minor head injury.”
Previous related story: Boy beaten during Lancaster home invasion