LOS ANGELES – Early model Honda Accords and Civics are the vehicles most likely to be stolen in Los Angeles County, warns the Sheriff’s Taskforce for Regional Auto theft Prevention (TRAP).
“The 1990s Honda Accords and Civics have consistently ranked number one as the most stolen vehicle in Los Angeles County, throughout the state of California, and the nation. This ranking is due in part to the lack of built in anti-theft technology in these older model vehicles versus new vehicles,” TRAP officials said in an advisory to Honda owners.
TRAP is informing Honda owners of measures they can take to deter theft:
- Consider installing an anti-theft device such as an alarm system or GPS tracking device.
- Use a steering wheel lock or other owner applied anti-theft device.
- If feasible, keep your vehicle in your driveway or garage to deter a possible theft.
- Place anti-theft stickers on the windows.
- If your Honda is stolen, notify law enforcement immediately to report it.
[Information via news release from the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.]