LANCASTER — Members of the Antelope Valley’s medical and educational communities are joining forces next month to raise funds for and awareness about gender-based violence.
This year’s local Walk a Mile in Her Shoes® event will take place from 5 to 7 p.m., Saturday, Sept. 26, at Antelope Valley College, Football Field Parking Lot, located at 3041 West Avenue K in Lancaster. The registration deadline for participants/walkers is this Saturday, Aug. 29. [Click here to register.]
Sponsored by Antelope Valley Hospital (AVH), Antelope Valley College (AVC), and The Antelope Valley Chapter of Zonta International, along with major support from Secure Digital Forensic Imaging, Walk a Mile will feature men walking a mile in high-heeled shoes around the AVC campus.
It’s a live demonstration of the old saying, “You can’t really understand another person’s experience until you’ve walked a mile in their shoes.”
“Wellness, both physically and mentally, thrives in a home and community free of violence. You never really understand a person until you consider what they have experienced,” stated Mary Reina, director of the AVH Forensic Services Unit (FSU). “We hope the community will participate in this fun ‘Walk A Mile in Her Shoes’ event to help raise awareness, end violence and together create a healthier community.”
Proceeds from the event will benefit the AVH Forensic Services Unit, which assesses, documents, photographs and collects evidence on all cases presenting to the hospital or referred by law enforcement. The FSU also coordinates the medical/legal needs of victims and provides compassionate care to those who have experienced horrific crimes.
Many ways to participate in Walk a Mile in Her Shoes
According to organizers, there are many ways for local residents to participate in this year’s local Walk a Mile in Her Shoes® event.
- Gentlemen can walk.
- Ladies can walk or volunteer during the event. Click here for more information on how to volunteer.
- Spectators can cheer the walkers along from the sidelines.
- Attendees can learn about the valuable resources available from AVH’s community partners at informational booths.
- Supporters can donate to the cause. There will be a booth at the event for contributions or donations, or contributors can donate online here. View a wish list of priority items needed by the AVH Forensic Services Unit here.
- Sports fans can stay for the game. There will be an AVC football game directly following the Walk A Mile event. The event will also feature local vendors and food trucks ready to serve attendees.
How to register
Anyone over age 18 can take part in the walk. A $55 registration fee pays for your T-shirt and Walk a Mile Signature Red Shoes. Remember, registration fees are due by Aug. 29.
Volunteers or sponsors may register anytime.
For more information on the Sept. 26 Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event at Antelope Valley College, contact Mary Reina at 661-949-5572 or Mary.Reina@avhospital.org.