PALMDALE – The City of Palmdale’s South Antelope Valley Emergency Services (SAVES) will be offering Rider Relief Transportation Program (RRTP) coupons good for use on Antelope Valley Transit Authority transportation beginning July. The coupons will be offered to the most economically vulnerable and transit dependent seniors, K-12 grade students, full-time college/vocational students, disabled persons and full time college/vocational students in Palmdale.
“You can save up to $10 on your transit pass if your income qualifies you for Metro’s Rider Relief Transportation Program,” stated SAVES Coordinator Patricia Morales. “If eligible, you’ll get fare subsidy coupons to use each month when buying your transit pass from participating providers and pass sales outlets.”
The types of subsidy coupons in the RRTP program include:
- $10 subsidy coupon – Riders that purchase regular monthly or weekly passes, provided that their city or the county does not provide a subsidy.
- $6 Subsidy coupon – Senior citizen riders of cities who do not offer any user side subsidy.
- $6 Subsidy coupon – Kindergarten through 12th grade students of cities or schools that do not provide a subsidy.
- $6 Subsidy coupon – College-vocational students provided that their city or the county or school does not provide a subsidy.
“This is something we’ve been working on for a while and, it’s going to make transportation more affordable for many of our residents,” stated Councilmember and AVTA Board Member Steve Hofbauer.
“The City of Palmdale is always looking for ways to partner with other agencies to assist those who need help the most,” stated Councilmember and AVTA Board Member Fred Thompson.
In addition to the AVTA, Rider Relief coupons may be used on Big Blue Bus, Culver City Bus Lines, Torrance Transit, LADOT, Santa Clarita Transit, Foothill Transit, Long Beach Transit, Montebello Bus Lines and Norwalk Transit.
Adult riders, senior/disabled/Medicare, K-12 grade students and full time college/vocational students are eligible if their annual incomes are:
- $28,550 or below (one person in household)
- $32,600 or below (two people in household)
- $36,700 or below (three people in household)
- $40,750 or below (four people in household)
- $44,050 or below (five people in household)
- $47,300 or below (six people in household)
Children over 5 years old whose parents qualify are automatically also eligible to receive Rider Relief coupons.
A schedule for coupon distribution will be posted next week on the City of Palmdale’s Web site at www.cityofpalmdale.org
For more information or to see if you qualify for the RRTP through SAVES, call 661-267-5300.