LANCASTER – Two men spotted running from the scene of a shooting that killed a 22-year-old man in Lancaster Tuesday have been charged with the man’s murder.
Jeremy Jacob Rakisits, aka “Bless,” is charged with murder and gang allegations, while Anthony Albert Juarez, aka “Malo,” is charged with murder, including gang and gun allegations, in connection with the death of Aaron Elbert Brockway, according to a felony complaint filed Thursday.
Rakisits, 18, and Juarez, 22, were scheduled to be arraigned at the Antelope Valley Courthouse Thursday, but that arraignment was continued to June 4, according to Sarah Ardalani of the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office.
The charges stem from a shooting that occurred in Lancaster Tuesday, May 19, at a residence on the 44000 block of Canyon Way. Homicide detectives have released little details; however, Lancaster Sheriff’s Station officials said the shooting was reported around 4 p.m.
Several Lancaster units responded, and deputies found a victim who had been shot in the upper body, according to Sgt. Steve Owen of the Lancaster Sheriff’s Station.
“While deputies were attending to the shooting victim, some other deputies who were canvassing the area saw two male whites run from the area,” Owen said Tuesday. After deputies contained the area, they located both suspects.
One of the suspects, later identified as Juarez, was captured in a resident’s backyard after a brief chase, and a firearm was located near where he was caught. Rakisits was detained without incident and later arrested.
Brockway was transported to the hospital in critical condition, and he was pronounced dead at 9:50 p.m., according to the coroner’s office.
“According to statements that we have received so far, [the shooting] was gang related or a drug deal gone bad or it could be both,” Owen said Tuesday.
Previous related story: Man shot and killed in Lancaster, suspects in custody