PALMDALE – A local youth boxing coach will be sentenced March 23 in a child molestation case involving two of his students, authorities said.
Gregorio Gustavo Olvera, 50, was charged Dec. 16, 2014, with two felony counts of lewd acts on a child, and he pleaded no contest Feb. 11, according to Sarah Ardalani of the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s office. A no contest plea has the same legal effect as a guilty plea.
The charges stem from Olvera’s involvement in the local youth boxing scene, according to Sgt. Brian Hudson of the Sheriff’s Department’s Special Victims Bureau.
“He was a boxing coach that did instruction at his residence,” Hudson said.
Olvera was arrested Nov. 26, 2014, after molestation allegations were brought forward involving two girls under the age of 14, according to Hudson.
The mother of one of the girls communicated with The AV Times. She said her children had been training for about three years with “Team Olvera,” a boxing program ran from Olvera’s home garage, which was set up as a gym. Olvera was training about 30 children at the garage gym, located on the 37000 block of Populus Avenue in East Palmdale, according to the parent.
“Last November, a few days before Thanksgiving, I found out that he had sexually molested my daughter,” stated the mother, who asked not to be identified to protect the identity of the victim.
“Apparently he would take her inside the house and upstairs with the excuse that she was training too hard and she was too tense and that he needed to massage her in order for her to get rid of some tight balls she had on her back. So she fell for it. And he did his stuff with her in his own bedroom behind locked doors,” the child’s mother stated.
She said she wanted to share the story to “expose” the local boxing coach, in case there were more victims.
However, Hudson said the case involved just the two victims, and detectives had no reason to believe there were more victims.
Olvera posted bail shortly after his November arrest, and he was released from jail pending the outcome of the case. He pleaded not guilty Jan. 6 to two felony counts of lewd acts on a child under 14; he then withdrew the not guilty plea a month later, pleading no contest Feb. 11 to one felony count of lewd acts on a child under 14, according to court records.
Olvera remains out of custody as he awaits sentencing. Family members of the victims will be attending the sentencing hearing March 23 in hopes of gaining closure, the mother stated.
“I haven’t had peace since then. It’s a nightmare what I’m living,” she said.