PALMDALE – Officials from the City of Palmdale and Sun Village gathered at the Palmdale City Council Chamber Monday for a historic signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) in which Palmdale removed its sphere of influence in Sun Village.
Signing the document for Palmdale were Mayor Jim Ledford and Deputy City Clerk Roxanne Faber, while Town Council President Magdalene Lawrence and Secretary Bernadette Moore signed for Sun Village. Other officials present at the signing were Palmdale Councilmember Fred Thompson and Sun Village Town Council Assistant Treasurer Gem Lawrence.
“This is truly a historic event,” said Ledford. “We are recognizing and supporting Sun Village’s desire to become a city and our job is to support them and partner where we can. It is very rare for a city to pull back its sphere of influence, but it is an example of how neighboring communities can work together for the greater good of all.”
“Thank you Palmdale and City Council,” Lawrence said. This is a very historic day for the Antelope Valley and the United States as we are showing the world and our children that we can move on and move forward.”
Councilmember Thompson called the signing “a defining moment for the community.”
At the Sept. 3 Palmdale City Council Meeting, the Council voted to approve an MOU with the Sun Village Town Council.
Over the past several years, City staff had met with representatives of the Sun Village Town Council and Integ Enterprises representatives Kevin Bush and Rich Poston to discuss the Town Council’s desire for future incorporation and to resolve boundary issues relating to zoning, sphere of influence, and the City’s pending annexation of area generally located between Palmdale Boulevard and the alignment of Avenue R-12 and between 80th Street East and the alignment of 85th Street East.
The MOU included the following principles of understanding:
- City acknowledges and supports the goals and objectives of Sun Village to establish themselves as an incorporated City within the County of Los Angeles and State of California.
- Sun Village acknowledges and supports the goals, objectives, and policies of the City of Palmdale and its General Plan as it relates to the Mineral Resource Extraction designated areas located west of the Littlerock Creek and the value of this aggregate resource required for economic growth of the region and the City of Palmdale and Sun Village.
- Sun Village and the City of Palmdale desire to remove Sun Village from the City of Palmdale sphere of influence.
Guided by these underlying principles, the parties endeavor to accomplish the following:
- Modify the City of Palmdale’s Sphere of Influence to exclude Sun Village.
- Complete the pending annexation of area generally located between Palmdale Boulevard and the alignment of Avenue R-12 and between 80th Street East and the alignment of 85th Street East into the City of Palmdale.
- Allow for comment by Sun Village on future aggregate mining operations within the City of Palmdale.
- Support the paving of certain Sun Village roads as part of required mitigation measures related to future development.