PALMDALE – No one was arrested for driving under the influence, but 18 people were arrested for various other violations at a DUI/ Driver’s License checkpoint in Palmdale on Friday, Sept. 5.
Personnel from the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, Palmdale Station conducted the checkpoint from 6 p.m. to 2 a.m. on Avenue S, between 20th Street East and 25th Street East.
The results from the checkpoint are as follows:
* 1879 vehicles traveled through the checkpoint.
* 1799 drivers were checked at the checkpoint.
* One suspect was arrested for a $50k grand theft warrant and sent to court.
* Five suspended / revoked drivers were arrested and sent to court.
* 12 unlicensed drivers were arrested and sent to court.
* One vehicle was stored for one day.
* One vehicle was impounded for 30 days.
* 16 vehicles were released per checkpoint release procedures.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), checkpoints have provided the most effective documented results of any of the DUI enforcement strategies, while also yielding considerable cost savings of $6 for every $1 spent. This checkpoint was one of many that have been or will be conducted throughout the year in Palmdale.
Funding for the operation was provided to the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.