LANCASTER – Organizers are gearing up for the Antelope Valley’s inaugural “Walk a Mile in Her Shoes” event, where men are going to walk a mile in heels to raise public awareness about domestic violence and sexual assault.
“Walk a Mile in Her Shoes” takes place Saturday, Aug. 30, from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at The Hangar, the Lancaster JetHawks Playing Field located at 45116 Valley Central Way in Lancaster.
Presented by the Antelope Valley Chapter of Zonta International, the event is a fundraiser for the Antelope Valley Hospital’s Forensic Services Unit (FSU), which assesses, documents, photographs, and collects evidence on all cases presenting to the hospital or referred by law enforcement. The FSU also coordinates the medical and legal needs of victims of violence. The program is largely unfunded, and it functions out of the hospital’s Emergency Department. Learn more that the FSU here.
Anyone over age 18 can take part in the walk. A $55 registration fee pays for your t-shirt and shoes. Click here to register for the walk now.
Those who don’t want to walk can support the event by volunteering. Click here for more information on how to volunteer.
Help local victims of violence now!
You don’t have to wait for the “Walk a Mile in Her Shoes” event to make a difference. You can start right now if you can help with any of these priority items:
- New clothing for patients of all ages (particularly teenage and adult female sweat pants, shirts, and underwear).
- Snack foods and drinks for patients who receive medications to prevent sexually transmitted diseases.
- Soft, new blankets and stuffed animals, like teddy bears, to provide patients with something to hold onto during a usually long, difficult process.
- AA-sized or AAA-sized batteries for the FSU’s state-of-the-art camera.
- New blank CDs for copying photographic evidence.
- Monetary donations for required ongoing training and continuing education of Forensic nurses.
For more information on how to donate these items, contact FSU Director Mary Reina at 661-949-5570 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Items will also be collected at the “Walk a Mile in Her Shoes” event at The Hangar. Click here for answers to frequently asked questions regarding the inaugural event.
Previous related story: ‘Walk a Mile in Her Shoes’ event coming to AV