QUARTZ HILL – Responding to the state drought measures, the Quartz Hill Water District will be enforcing mandatory water restrictions come August 14, with penalties starting at $100 per incident and culminating in water service termination.
The mandatory water restrictions and penalties are detailed in an “Urgent Drought Notice” being mailed to the District’s nearly 6,000 customers. Read the letter below:
The State has declared Emergency Drought Conditions. The State Water Resources Control Board passed Resolution 2014-0038 that dictates we are to proceed with MANDATORY WATER RESTRICTIONS.
On August 6, 2014, the Board of Directors has resolved to implement relevant portions of our Water Shortage Contingency Plan that is a part of our Urban Water Management Plan. The District has preset regulations that we now must enact and enforce. Our overall goal is to see a 20% reduction from every customer.
- Effective August 14, 2014, we are assigning every other day watering for our customers. If your address ends with an odd number, you will be allowed to water your yard on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. If your address ends in an even number, you will be allowed to water on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. No one can water on Sunday.
- Watering between 9 a.m. and 10 p.m. is strictly prohibited and can result in daily fines of $100 per violation, after an initial warning.
- Run off or “nuisance water” is deemed to be excessive. Excessive watering is considered wastage as noted in Article 8:05A(3) and 8:07A and will result in fines and can even result in termination of your water service.
- The State is now requiring us to enforce these regulations. As called out in our adopted policy, you will first receive a courtesy warning. After 24 hours, if the problem persists, you will be fined no less than $100 per incident. If the waste is not resolved, the District may disconnect your service as called out in Article 8.05B(3).
- Using a hose to wash down any sidewalks, walkways, driveways, parking areas or other paved surfaces is a willful violation and shall be punishable by fine of $100 per incident.
- Washing of vehicles must be done with a hose that is fitted with a shut-off nozzle. When the vehicle is not being rinsed, the water must not be flowing.
- Fountains and decorative water features are prohibited unless the water is recirculated. Recycled water is not mandated, but encouraged for fountain use.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the office or refer to our website.
View the water restrictions postcard being sent out to Quartz Hill Water District customers here. For more information on these restrictions, contact the Quartz Hill Water District at 661-943-3170 or visit www.qhwd.org.
Water conservation tips can also be found on the Quartz Hill Water District’s website at http://www.qhwd.org/Conservation_Tips.html.
Related story: PWD water conservation measures effective Aug. 1