LANCASTER – The man charged with sexually assaulting a girl as she walked to school in Lancaster has been found guilty, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced.
A jury on Wednesday found 31-year-old Charles Delshawn James guilty of kidnapping for sodomy, attempted sexual penetration by a foreign object, forcible sodomy of a minor, lewd act on a child age 14 and dissuading a witness by force or threat.
The jury, which deliberated for less than two hours, also found true the special allegations of kidnapping a minor and aggravated kidnapping, according to Deputy District Attorney Keri Knittel.
The incident occurred between 6:15 and 6:30 a.m. on Dec. 13, 2012, as the 14-year-old girl was walking to Eastside High School on her way to a zero-period class.
The girl was walking eastbound on Avenue J-8 listening to music from her phone, via ear buds, when she noticed James walking behind her, according to court testimony.
The victim crossed the street to avoid James, but he followed her across the street, grabbed her by the pony tail and dragged her into some bushes where he sodomized her, according to testimony.
During the attack he threatened to kill the girl and her family if she said anything.
At a preliminary court hearing last year, a Sheriff’s detective gave graphic testimony about what the victim told investigators. (Read more here.)
Forensic evidence led police to James, who was arrested in South Carolina days after the attack. (Read more here.)
James faces a 77-years-to-life prison sentence at a hearing on June 27 at the Antelope Valley courthouse.
The case was investigated by the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, Special Victim’s Bureau.
Previous related stories: