The Los Angeles Department of Animal Care and Control announced Wednesday that all county shelters are participating in the Pets to Patriots program, a no-cost pet adoption for veterans operated by the Los Angeles Animal Alliance and powered by the Jason Debus Heigl Foundation.
“The goal of Pets to Patriots is to honor and enhance the lives of our heroes with companion animals in recognition and celebration of their service,” according to the Los Angeles Animal Alliance website.
To participate in Pets to Patriots, veterans need to provide the shelter with one form of valid military identification. Identification can be a Veterans Identification Card (VIC), VA Health Card, Department of Defense/Uniformed Services ID Card, Disabled American Veterans Life Member ID Card, American Legion ID Card, or a Disabled Veteran California State Parks and Recreation Pass.
Participating county shelters include:
- Lancaster Animal Care Center – 5210 W. Avenue I, Lancaster 93536
- Antelope Valley Adoption Only Center – 42116 4th Street East, Lancaster 93535
- Downey Animal Care Center- 11258 S. Garfield Ave., Downey 90242
- Carson Animal Care Center – 216 W. Victoria St., Gardena, 90248
- Baldwin Park Animal Care Center – 4275 N. Elton St., Baldwin Park, 91706
- Castaic Animal Care Center – 31044 N. Charlie Canyon Rd., Castaic 91384
- Agoura Animal Care Center – 29525 Agoura Road, Agoura Hills, 91301
“We are thrilled to offer this program in honor of our nation’s soldiers, past and present, who have unselfishly served us all so well,” said Marcia Mayeda, Director for the County of Los Angeles Department of Animal Care and Control. “A shelter pet’s love is unconditional and irreplaceable.”