Recipe – Chocolate Gingerbread Cookie
— Ingredients —
- 7 oz cacoa nibs
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 2 Tbsp ginger – crystallized
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon (fresh)
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves (fresh)
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg (fresh grated)
- 1 Tbsp cacao powder
- 6 Tbsp Smart Balance (no hydrogenated oils)
- 1/4 cup apple sauce (unsweetened)
- 1 Tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 cup drak-brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup barley malt syrup
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp water – boiling
- 2 tsp baking powder (gluten-free)
- 2 Tbsp instant coffee (regular)
- 1/4 cup honey (orange, raw)
- Line two baking sheets with parchment. In a medium bowl, sift together whole wheat flour, ground ginger, fresh cinnamon, fresh ground cloves, fresh grated nutmeg, baking powder and cacao powder.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, beat Smart Balance and grated ginger until whitened, about 4 minutes. Add dark brown sugar and instant coffee; beat until combined. Add barley malt syrup, apple sauce and honey; beat again until combined.
- In a small bowl, dissolve baking soda in 1 1/2 teaspoons boiling water. Beat half of wheat flour mixture and old fashioned rolled oatmeal into butter mixture. Beat in baking-soda mixture, then remaining half of wheat flour mixture. Mix in cacao nibs and crystallized ginger; turn out onto a piece of plastic wrap. Pat dough out to about 1 inch thick; seal with wrap; refrigerate until firm, 2 hours or more.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees. Roll dough into 1 1/2- inch balls; place 2 inches apart on baking sheets. Refrigerate 20 minutes. Bake until the surfaces crack slightly, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Preparation Time: 1 hour
Cooking Time: 1 hour
Inactive Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 4 hours
Degree of Difficulty: Moderately difficult
Oven Temperature: 325°F
Serving size: 1/24 of a recipe (1.3 ounces).
Percent daily values based on the Reference Daily Intake (RDI) for a 2000 calorie diet.
Nutrition information calculated from recipe ingredients.
- Optional 1 cup walnuts changes nutritional to 158.84 calories and total fat to 6.61 g (10%)
- Use coffee grinder to grind spices fresh.
Author: Mama Vega www.MamaVega.com
Source: Mama Vega*s “The Good Stuff… A taste of Home”
Copyright: Mama Vega*s Products 2011
Barley: Sprouted barley is naturally high in maltose, a sugar that serves as the basis for both malt syrup sweeteners. When fermented, barley malt syrup has a low glycemic value, which means it does not cause a sugar rush or a sudden spike in blood sugar after consumption.
Cacao: Cacao contains a wide array of unique properties and minerals, including high levels of sulfur and magnesium. It may increase your focus and alertness and contains nutrients to keep you happy.
Ginger: Anti-viral, anti-toxic, anti inflammatory properties and can be used to treat rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, and various other muscular disorders.
Nutmeg: brain tonic, bad breath, liver and kidney detox, Indigestion and sleep aid.