Average daily ridership at the Lancaster Metrolink station is trending downward, from 416 last year to 373 this year, according to Lancaster Vice Mayor Marvin Crist.

LANCASTER – Downtown Los Angeles is actually sending transient individuals via Metrolink to access homeless services and resources from the city of Lancaster, council members argued at Tuesday’s meeting.

And in response, city officials have called for staff to study closing the Lancaster Metrolink Station.

“I’m thinking it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out that 67 homeless people a day are being shipped from downtown to us,” Lancaster Mayor R. Rex Parris said, expressing his exasperation over not only the city’s inadequate funding for its own growing population of homeless, but the apparent overflow of transitory homeless from other areas who are tapping into Lancaster’s own homeless resources.

“We are the most underfunded, underloved, undersupported area in the entire state,” Parris said. “What is happening in this city and in this area because of the absolute criminal neglect by LA County is intolerable.”

Lee D’Errico, Lancaster’s Public Safety Manager, told the council that he formed a recent evaluation team to study Metrolink riders whose destination was Lancaster. On one particular day he encountered “over 67 individuals that were coming here for transitory services to be provided,” D’Errico said. “They indicated to us that the train was their main mechanism for moving throughout communities to obtain those services.”

Lancaster Mayor R. Rex Parris asked city staff if the council could vote to close the station - "today."

Lancaster Mayor R. Rex Parris asked city staff if the council could vote to close the station – “today.”

D’Errico said an “overabundance of transitory homelessness” was using up Lancaster’s local services intended for its own homeless population. The bottom line, he said, is Metrolink’s end of the line station.

“A majority of the individuals that we found in [Lancaster's] downtown area were not our local homeless population but were of that transitory group that comes here, and their primary mode of transportation in our community was the Metrolink train.”

Concern over the station’s impact on the city’s homeless resources was only part of the conservation. Vice Mayor Marvin Crist also voiced concern with the security problems connected with the Metrolink station and a growing population of transients, which are not only affecting local businesses on The BLVD, but “our entire community.”

“The only place in LA County where Metrolink actually ensures that individuals are ticketed to ride that train is at the main service station,” he said. “Beyond that there is none – no security whatsoever – other than to ensure that nothing occurs at the station itself.”

Getting straight to the point, Mayor Parris asked city staff if the council could vote to close the station – “today.”

“No,” Lancaster City Attorney Allison Burns replied, “we need to do some analyses before we can do that – particularly in regard to the environment[al] impacts. Closing the station – that would be a discretionary action. It would require CEQA (California Environmental Quality Act) compliance, and we’re undertaking those efforts now.”

Vice Mayor Crist wanted to be clear that such an action would not be based upon the city’s own homeless population – but on the population that is being “shipped up here.”

“We’ll take care of our own,” Crist said. “But if they want to ship them up here, they need to give us the funding for it. We’re not getting our proper funding that we should receive right now. We’re getting 2 percent when we should be getting 12 percent of [the county's] total population. Skid Row gets $4,500 per person – we get $279 per person. So we’re grossly underfunded.”

The city’s inadequate funding for its homeless population continues to be a pressing issue with many on the council. Members are critical of the Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority regarding the city’s disproportionate funding. LAHSA provides Lancaster homeless service organizations with only about 2 percent of its total funding even though the Antelope Valley accounts for nearly 13 percent of the county’s homeless population.

If the city does close the station, Crist said Lancaster would provide more affordable bus connections through the AVTA to accommodate those commuters who are currently using the city’s Metrolink station to reach other destinations. Crist also added that average daily ridership at the Lancaster station was trending downward from 416 last year to 373 this year.

Councilwoman Sandra Johnson said she was onboard with taking steps toward closing the station, saying it was certainly in the council’s ability to do so.

“I agree that we need to be very proactive, and we have council members here who aren’t scared to speak up,” she said. “We’ve proven many times in this city that when we all come together as a community, we are heard, and people do react.”

About the author

Jim E. Winburn is freelance reporter covering news of public interest.

139 comments for “Lancaster mulls closing Metrolink station to stop outside poaching of homeless services

1. RexSupporter
    September 25, 2014 at 1:55 am

Message to Rex: Do what you have to to make this city safe, family friendly and beautiful. The plain fact is that this city is failing because it’s citizens are not taking a hard stance on riding their community of the criminals. The Blvd is the safest place to be and that simply is what the city council and the Mayor’s objective is– creating a safe and clean environment for it’s citizens. People be honest, there are some crazy people roaming the streets of Lancaster. Some of them are Gang bangers who migrated from cities like Los Angeles, Compton or San Bernardino. Drug sales are taking place on many corners of the city and the citizens of Lancaster stay quiet. Bloods and Crips walk the streets of Lancaster wearing their red and blue colors. But guess what, this does not happen on the Boulevard. Why? Because the Mayor and City council began a plan to make the whole city of Lancaster into a safe and clean place to live. That is why they began their quest for a family friendly city their on the Boulevard. When I stroll down the Blvd, I feel safe and carefree. But when I go to the Metrolink station to catch the train, all the bad that is in Lancaster is there. So Mayor Rex, do what you must to make this city into a place where all it’s people can prosper and live in peace.

• Son of Rexsupporter
      September 25, 2014 at 3:02 pm

Yes, yes o great and all knowing mayor. Keep closing hotels and depriving people of their due process rights and getting us sued and settling with tax dollars. Yes, yes, keep up the great work by using our money for pet projects like the eye in the sky. One of these days it may actually do something other than fly around and pollute the air. Yes, yes keep the BLVD safe except for the bums who attack people for their sandwiches, and the drunks who fight outside of BeX, and the beggars, and the thieves. Keep up the great work mayor.

September 25, 2014 at 5:21 pm

Oh, thank you, Son of RExsupporter.

I get so tired of having to point out all that stuff.

But, I have a suggestion for everyone. I got tired of capitalizing ‘BLVD’ so I stopped doing it.

It’s now the ‘blvd’ which is appropriate to how it shrank over time from the ‘center of the universe’ to ‘Pluto’ which is no longer even considered a planet.

If it improves, I’ll go back to capitalizing it. Or, if Rex is no longer mayor. Whichever comes first.

Practice it. blvd. blvd. blvd. blvd. It’s so much easier to type.

I suppose Rexsupporter felt safe and carefree walking the blvd if he did it in the afternoon. There’s no one else on the sidewalks. It’s dead. And, who is he kidding. Palmdale’s crime rate has been consistently a little lower than Lancaster’s for years. And, both cities have to deal with the same kinds of problems. It’s the leadership that has made the difference. Rexsupporter can keep Rex and the higher crime and unemployment rates. And,the blvd but he better be careful no one steals his deli sandwich.

• SonofRexsupporter
          September 25, 2014 at 5:44 pm

William, I cannot believe that a community of over 150k can be altogether so stupid as to believe the BS thrown at them. It must be apathy. No way could you assemble so many stupid people to follow a dope like our mayor. I wish I could afford to move to Palmdale.

September 25, 2014 at 6:44 pm

While I’m at changing things like the name of the ‘blvd’ to lower case, how ’bout calling Mayor Parris “Rx”

They could do a take on another commerial from years ago dropping an egg into a hot skillet.

“This is your city. (picture of Lancaster) .Plop. This is your city on Rx”. (photo of Parris)

I’m positive there are some regulars here who simply can’t get that.

2. AVHC
    September 16, 2014 at 1:40 pm

Face it, the Antelope Valley is hopeless. You cannot attempt to create a nightlife district in a place that wages war against nightlife. AV people don’t even like going out at night because they are afraid of getting pulled over by the cops for attempting to live a life past 9pm.

• Clarification
      September 16, 2014 at 4:27 pm

I am not worried about being pulled over by the sheriff or CHP. My worry is some thug deciding to fire a weapon into a place. There are a lot of dumb thugs in this valley that ruin it for everyone. If the thuggery was eradicated then there would be a lot less need for officers of the law.

3. Bob S
    September 16, 2014 at 7:17 am

Mayor “Where’d the Ambulance Go?” loves finding any excuse whatsoever to explain the failure of HIS boulevard to nowhere.

4. Fred
    August 31, 2014 at 5:37 am

A friend of mine was in the bank the other day and one of the “homeless” panhandlers– you know, the ones that hang out at the freeway off ramps–was also in there making a deposit. She told a group of us that he was making a deposit of over $700 dollars! I’ve been at the same job for 25 years. Maybe it’s time for me to retire and become a “homeless” panhandler! Good, tax free money.
    I wonder if this guy came by means of Metrolink?
    Closing the station? Not a good idea. They’ll just stop in Palmdale and make their way North to the Blvd. Lose/lose

• angel
      September 8, 2014 at 3:22 pm

I tend to agree – there are still a lot of ppl, especially those with disabilities that use that train. Lets create a few jobs and check tickets as ppl get off the train, you don’t get off without a ticket, period.

• rider
        September 8, 2014 at 6:21 pm

every time I have been on the train, there is a deputy checking for tickets. Closing this station would be crazy, and very “not for the people”

5. Michelle Egberts
    August 31, 2014 at 12:10 am

Lee D’Errico is nothing but a bold face LIAR stating the following in the article “D’Errico agreed, attributing a great part of the transient problem to Metrolink’s inability to police its own ridership.

LASD officers are on board the Metrolink trains to Lancaster verifying passengers tickets and issuing citations for those without a ticket. After falsely being accused of threatening him, proving him to being perjuring himself in trial with false testimony multiple times, Lee D’Errico will LIE at no expense and can NOT be trusted. Even the jury saw through his lies and found me NOT GUILTY

If you’re a concerned citizen, ask him why he is no longer employed with LASD, why his “play niece” is a drug addict, and why he has no integrity. Even his “own Watch Commander dispelled his lies with the “tag report”. It’s a “good ole’ boys club at City Hall.

• Nancy P
      September 9, 2014 at 11:32 am

Amen to your comment.
      I don’t often agree with you, however, I do feel this community servant will say whatever he thinks will get him favor with friends (co-workers).

• Train Rider
      September 9, 2014 at 1:34 pm

D’Errico doesn’t have a clue what he’s talking about. Or what Rex told him to say. I have ridden the train hundreds of times. I was regularly asked for my ticket. There is security. Maybe instead of reading the script he Rex and Marv should ride the train and see what it’s like.

• Joe
      October 18, 2014 at 6:42 am

LASD officers policing the train…really. How come no one is going on about we need those officers on the street and Metrolink should be policing it’s own trains????

6. AV sucks
    August 30, 2014 at 8:30 pm

The only thing the Antelope Valley is good for is dumping things. Glad I escaped again. People don’t come to the Antelope Valley, they end up there.

7. Elayne Miller
    August 30, 2014 at 7:24 pm

closing the train station is not the answer, don’t forget that there are several individuals that need the train station to commute to school, work etc. Yeah I grew up out here and I see how the homelessness has increased by a large percentage but it is not fair to make things more difficult for those that are trying to make a future for them selves. You can remove the train station but it is not going to make a difference that will only cause more uproar in the community. And increasing the bus services is something that the antelope valley should be looking into already obviously our community is growing that means the antelope valley needs to make public transportation more convenient and expand with the community. there are a lot of things that need to be worked on but instead of trying to close the train station lets focus on those things that could actually help make this community, our community a better and safer place to live I’m sure closing the train station is not one of those things…..

8. FROMDAAV
    August 30, 2014 at 9:59 am

WELL MR R REX PARRIS DO SOMETHING FOR THE HOMELESS OPEN MORE SHELTERS MORE RESOURCES TO HELP THESE POOR PEOPLE TO GET ON THERE FEET WHY DONT CHA, [removed] YOU SPENT ALL THIS MONEY ON THE SPY PLANE TO IVADE ON OUR PRIVACY WHICH HASNT DONE MUCH TO SERVE THIS COMMUNITY WOW ITS JUST SAD BECAUSE YOUR OUR MARYOR TIMES ARE RUFF AND TO THINK IF MY FAM BECAME HOMELESS YOU WOULD NOT GIVE A [removed]!!!!!!!!!!

• Compassionate RayRay
      August 30, 2014 at 5:14 pm

But he has done much for the homeless. He offered to pay their way to Los Angeles. They guy’s all heart. It was even mentioned on the Tonight Show. Check it out:

9. KE
    August 30, 2014 at 7:17 am

This has me so upset I can’t work. We want zero sum electrical use, but car dependent suburban life only in Lancaster? Where is the vision? That train station is Lancaster’s future. If that train station closes, Lancaster loses one of its few assets; and it has few. I’m so riled at how bad this idea is that I can’t concentrate on the FOUR JOBS I DO from my Lancaster apartment which I will pick up and move with me, as will every other SMART PERSON WHO HAS MOVED HERE lately, if they close this train station. You will have nothing left here but homeless people with no way to get out.

10. KE
    August 30, 2014 at 6:22 am

Get rid of the poor, cries Crist and squeezes into his luxury car to follow Rex to a gated community on the West Side never to smell a homeless person again until next council meeting. These Council People STINK worse than the homeless here

11. kay
    August 30, 2014 at 6:16 am

Homeless not problem: Politicians w/pea size brains who think making things worse will make things better are the problem

12. KE
    August 30, 2014 at 6:08 am

Stupidest response to homelessness I ever heard. I Use That Station it’s the reason I live here. Ruin access to LA for residents here, I will be gone in one month and take my job and all the money I spend here with me if they close the Metrolink station. STUPID STUPID STUPID That train station is The Only Good Thing about Lancaster. Find some other way to deal with homelessness than ruining things for residents. DUH!

13. Closeit
    August 29, 2014 at 11:17 am

Just close it! I bet you there be less crime! For years I been saying that LA official or there staff keep sending the BS to the AV! Enough is enough!

• Clarification
      August 29, 2014 at 9:17 pm

How would closing a station that hundreds of WORKING individuals use to get to Disney Studios, City of ‘fill in the blank’, and shoppers, etc prevent this conspiracy of LA City sending people up here?
      The city can use buses you know. This is a move to grab some land for a traffic circle.

• Stinger
        August 31, 2014 at 6:01 pm

Hmmm… You might be on to something there! This would fit perfectly with the typical land grab shenanigans of Parris & Co. to put in another roundabout on the east end of their BLVD project.

• CB
          September 15, 2014 at 4:00 pm

I believe you’re on to something Stinger…

• Ray
          September 15, 2014 at 5:47 pm

Lancaster shenanigans? C’mon Stinger. It’s not like we’re spending 90k a month on the eye in the sky to stop crime. Stop crime. Uh, it is stopping crime, right????

• KE
      August 30, 2014 at 6:10 am

They use the train to leave Lancaster too

14. Dirty kid
    August 29, 2014 at 10:58 am

As someone from the AV who is houseless I can just say we’ll find a way to Lancaster. What’s to stop us from riding to Palmdale then just taking a bus? Also this just makes me want to go back to Lancaster and panhandle in front of Bex. In fact rain season is just about to start up here in the Pacific Northwest I think I will go down there. I’ll bring a buncha other kids with me too. Get prepared for a swarm if face tattoos, big packs and pit bulls. The train hoppers are coming back.

• Cody
      August 29, 2014 at 3:23 pm

You’re being cavalier about a huge influx of people into a city that doesn’t have the resources to support it? I don’t think you understand at all. It’s not a judgement on homeless people. We don’t have the money to provide services for everyone, so if more people come in to try to get those services, our ability to support our homeless community will be stretched to the breaking point.

More homeless people coming into the AV is bad for everyone, even the homeless.

15. William
    August 29, 2014 at 10:57 am

When the blvd was redone 3 or 4 years ago and Rex was boasting about how it would be a ‘destination’ and people would come from all over the world to see it and blah, blah, blah, he also said the indoor malls were going into decline. I guess he thought that people didn’t enjoy being in a nice, climate-controlled shopping facility when it’s 100 degrees outside in the summer and 40 degrees in the winter.

I wrote about it then how I had grown up in Santa Cruz which had redone its downtown Pacific Avenue to create the ‘Pacific Garden Mall’ with 1 narrow lane and lots of planters and seating in front of the the hippy-dippy shops. It became a horror with panhandlers, Dead Heads from another era, open drug use, and an unsafe, unpleasant area.

The local politicians are very far left and didn’t enforce the laws because Santa Curz, thanks to the university, was proud of being ‘weird’.

In Lancaster, conservative right wing politicans have created almost the same thing with the blvd. How can that be?

What’s funny is that Santa Cruz has 1/3 the population and many other destinations like the beach/boardwalk, nearby small towns like Capitola, Aptos, Felton, etc. and, despite its weird downtown that I just described, it is busier and more vibrant than the entire blvd which is pretty dead most days even on the weekend daytimes. Some restaurants are closed on Sundays. Unreal.

So, how did 2 cities with diametrically opposed political ideologies end up with almost the same results? And, the supposedly ‘business-wise’ conservatives in Lancaster can’t even make a thriving business district out of the blvd while the hippies from another era are doing it better in Santa Cruz.

It’s an upside-down world. It was predictable the the blvd would end up like it has. I predicted it myself and I’m not a city planner, high priced attorney, small business owner or a real estate developer with lots of knowledge and exppericce in such matters.

Since the blvd has been such a bust, why did that happen with so-called experts planning and building it? My guess along with many others not in the ‘good ol’ boy’ gang is that some people made out pretty well from the money the city spent and took their money and ran leaving the mess for the Lancaster residents to figure out.

Does anyone think that Rex & Co. who made the mess will (or are able to) do anything smart to fix it? Are you kidding me? The subject of this thread is ‘closing the Metrolink station’ to save the blvd. It was also a topic in the recent council meeting-saving the blvd. After 4 years, it needs to be ‘saved’??? I thought the blvd project was built to save the old Lancaster Boulevard which looking back was a much nicer place to visit, dead as it was.

Raise your hand if you think Rex & Co. can fix it?

• Stacy
      August 29, 2014 at 5:12 pm

Part of the problem with the Blvd is the stores close so early. At least on nights when the Farmers Market is going on they should stay open until at least 7. Seems counterintuitive to close when there will be increased traffic.

August 29, 2014 at 5:30 pm

Very little has made sense from the very beginning of the blvd project. The parking, if it were ever to become fully developed would be a nightmare. As it is now, it’s merely annoying.

A new project with new businesses that barely make it a year. Shopping centers around the Valley with far less promotion from the city have little restaurants that have been around forever but they die for lack of business on the blvd.

Isn’t it weird that the theater was sold so soon after opening? Wasn’t it weird that one of the biggest restaurants had a ‘B’ grade from the health department a year or 2 after opening?

Has the blvd made back the $10 million it cost to redo it in sales tax yet?

Wasn’t there a big sink hole or something on the of the side streets after it opened?

Wasn’t the plan behind building all those new apartments and condos tied in with the Metrolink transit center and now Rex wants to close the station? Is there intelligent life on Fern Street?

Who can Rex sue to make it better?

The place is cursed. Get out while you can.

Jud. You stay there. LOLOLOL

• Adam Chant
          August 30, 2014 at 6:31 pm

The BLVD Theater was started as a Laemmle Licensed theater so that they could build brand recognition with the community. The owner of the theater has been there since day one and is still the owner. They opted to not renew the Laemmle License after a year or so and have been very successful showing independent and current movies, that the other local theaters don’t show, for years. Chef has been there for about as long as it’s been open and most movies only stay in theater for a week or two.
          I guess that when you offer people a high quality theater experience that doesn’t involve sticky floors and yapping kids they take advantage of the opportunity to be treated with respect.

• Wiliiam
            August 30, 2014 at 7:22 pm

Isn’t that called ‘bait and switch’ at some level Adam Chant? “brand recognition”??? Please. Are people going for the movies themselves or for the name of the theater?

So, out of all that other stuff in my comment, you pick that to focus on while the blvd is in decline.

What do you think about the possible closing of the Metrolink station to ‘save the blvd’ as was said in the recent council meeting?

And, why does a new project like the blvd need ‘saving’ in the first place? The economy has been improving while the blvd has been going the other way. Why is that?

Weren’t all those new condos supposed to be tied to there being a ‘transit village’ nearby and now they want to close the station. Wasn’t the station also to transport people from down below to visit your blvd of broken dreams?

I figured you weren’t commenting here for the last year because it was hard to defend the blvd and now you show up when it’s near the bottom. I don’t understand.

• Pass the popcorn
            August 30, 2014 at 7:47 pm

Laemmle bailed because the numbers were lower than promised. It is a beautiful theater though. Too bad it is in such a bad part of town.

August 30, 2014 at 11:04 pm

@Adam Chant
            Isn’t that called ‘bait and switch’?

• xb-51
            August 31, 2014 at 8:17 am

William-You try to assassinate everything. Depending on someone else’s comment, you automatically take the opposite side. That makes you someone that just likes to argue, and complain about everything. You’re a babbler William! do you know where the word babble originated?

• AV Observer
            August 31, 2014 at 3:28 pm

William is spot on about the BLVD.

• Wiliam
          August 31, 2014 at 5:28 pm

Thanks, AV Observer

As you can see, I catch a lot of static for my comments about Lancaster, Rex and/or the blvd.

I’ll change my comments if and when things turn around north of the cactus curtain.

But, as long as Rex keeps up his crazy nonsense and things decline in Lancaster because of his leadership, you can count on me to continue pointing out his lousy management of his city despite having more power than any previous mayor.

What’s that saying about “Absolute power corrupts absolutely”? It was said long before Rex was even born yet somehow he fits the bill perfectly.

I feel sorry for the next mayor who has to clean up the mess he’ll leave behind. He is the ‘W’ of mayors.

• xb-51
            August 31, 2014 at 6:28 pm

William- We all know about the BLVD. We have for awhile now. You aren’t the one who brought this to our attention William, although you would like to think so. You vomit up the same words week, after week, after week. You never come up with any solutions William. You puff yourself up with the same rhetoric, again never offering any positive solutions. Get up off your [removed] and go do something positive.

• stats
            September 1, 2014 at 8:10 am

William 100 being the safest, both Palmdale and Lancaster rank 29 in the crime index. There are safe areas and unsafe areas in Antelope Valley. Do your homework William, and try not to present your agenda, that isn’t being truthful.

September 1, 2014 at 2:23 pm

@xb-51 and stats

AV Observer
            August 31, 2014 at 3:28 pm

William is spot on about the BLVD.

September 1, 2014 at 2:41 pm

Have y’all noticed someone is missing the last few days? He musta lost it completely.

Now, some new usernames are composing (or decomposing) is his same style.

It’s that fascinating? It’s like ‘hide and go seek’.

• AV Observer
            September 1, 2014 at 3:17 pm

William, do not let them deter you. There is a bizarre denial of what the BLVD is and isn’t. In fact there is a weird groupthink that comes out of Lancaster. On another blog today People were complaining about a roller skating rink that was opening in Palmdale. They were screaming about no ice, roller hockey was dead,etc. if any of them took the time to read the article they were referring to, they would have read that the new operators were planning to do an Ice rink too. Is there something in the air or water in Lancaster? There has to be. They elected a complete idiot for mayor.

September 2, 2014 at 10:16 am

@AV Observer

You’re right about something in the H2O.

It’s funny watching some people defend the failure that Rex & Co. has been. But, why?

They act like it’s my fault just for pointing it out. Some people have suggested that it’s Rex himself or one of his minions who replies to my comments as though I should knock it off.

It would be in character for a bully like Rex to whine like a thin-skinned little child when he gets negative feedback. Too bad. He recently whined that he and Lancaster were getting public comments that were hurting Lancaster’s reputation as though he hasn’t done a fantastic job of damaging it himself.

Rex is suing my city and trying to interfere with Palmdale’s politics. That will cost me (as well as every Palmdale resident) money and/or loss of some beneftis from the city if his fees are collected.

So, therefore, I should be quiet. Really? Are these critics of me that dumb? I say “Yes”.

Read their comments. They don’t address the content of my own comments regarding Rex and Lancaster but just criticize me personally. Why is that? I guess because they can’t defend Rex and Lancaster from what I’ve been saying.

Is the blvd in decline? Well, if it needs saving as was said in a recent council meeting, I guess so. I’m not making that up.

And whoever thinks I should provide solutions to Lancaster’s problems when those critics don’t seem to have any is really rich. You know who you are.

• lwh
      August 30, 2014 at 6:20 am

I’m a transplant here. Before the project, I had been to the BLVD a few times for LPAC and when I first heard of the BLVD project -I told my husband: it sounds great but it isn’t going to work if that one strip is nice but all around it are areas that people feel unsafe in or if they are going to be hit up by panhandlers and so on the whole time. Not going to work. It wasn’t a nice area to go not because there wasn’t business there – there were some places that were fine that had been around forever but because people didn’t feel safe. You can dress it up all you want but if you only clean up that one area in the midst of a lot of ruin then no, people aren’t going to go especially after dark (which is probably why a lot of the businesses close early). You also have cute shops that close early that are there to cater to who? People work or those that don’t aren’t usually going to shop at these shops. Nobody (sorry people of Lancaster or Palmdale) is going to travel to this area “just to do the BLVD”. It isn’t a tourist destination – it just isn’t so you can’t really plan to capitalize on tourism or people traveling just to shop.
      Besides since it has started, it has been non-stop construction blocking different areas of that road. Every time I got that way, part of that area is blocked off – those poor businesses.
      Besides you are going to penalize the people that do work and use it (the we can get them cheap bus fare offer is condescending and ridiculous. How about someone tell her – “we will take your car b/c of whatever reason but we will help you out with a cheaper bus fare ticket to help you get around”.).
      I get the safety issues. I get the we are inadequately funded and the county isn’t giving us what we need to help. I get the we need to handle our own homeless first. However, I agree with pp – I think this is more of “The Blvd can’t make it until we clean up the area and the way to do that is to close the metrolink station”. Closing the metrolink isn’t going to help save the BLVD – it was a poorly thought out plan in the first place. Perhaps they should sue metrolink for inadequate security that is affecting the area. Perhaps they should go after the county.
      This is a knee-jerk reaction and political grandstanding.

• Ray
        September 15, 2014 at 5:53 pm

Right on lwh. The concept for the BLVD was good, but the planning, forethought and execution have been a collective disaster. What’s 10 million to Parris anyway? That’s what he has us in the hook for with the eye in the sky, which is worthless. It’s not his money but his pals sure to reap the benefits.

16. Jason Zink
    August 29, 2014 at 7:05 am

Im ready to vote 20 years ago are you????
    Until we form an Antelope Valley Community Sevice District AVCSD which will lead to us having our own AC County (21st biggest out of 87 counties in the state and growing) we will always be LA’s step child, dumping ground, and tax grabbed.

Need leadership from or leaders unless we like living like this. This is the same story for 20+ years when will AV citizens stand up forthemselves and their future. Im ready to vote 20years ago are you????

• Eric
      August 29, 2014 at 10:56 am

Agree completely; long overdue.

• DesertMadness
      August 29, 2014 at 5:47 pm

So what would be the county seat of AC? Lancaster or Palmdale. That fight will last for 50 years. Why not extend the county all the way to Red Rock Canyon and make Mojave the county seat. East Kern County gets just as ignored by Bakersfield as AV gets from LA. There will be a lot of revenue from the gas pipelines and potentially from space commerce at the Mojave Space Port.
      Do it right the first time and you don’t have to do it over again.

17. Earl
    August 28, 2014 at 11:16 pm

Why have I not seen the name Mike Antonovich anywhere in the story or in the comments? Surely, as the issue of “homeless” is a county issue, our city leaders should be addressing this to fifthdistrict@lacbos.org. I don’t see the need to complain, however. Come winter and the cold and wet weather season, the same homeless will likely take a train back to LA where there are far more beds and shelters.

• Merl
      August 29, 2014 at 7:08 am

Good question, Earl. Probably because Antonovich isn’t the one with the stupid idea to close a station that hundreds rely on for transportation. Or because he wasn’t the genius who created the perfect storm for homeless to congregate. But he will probably have to help clean up the mess the mayor created.

August 29, 2014 at 11:02 am

That name is in big letters on a courthouse somewhere in Lancaster as it’s really important for elected officials to have their names on government buildings like they used to do in the old Soviet Union. Heck, they renamed whole cities after their ‘leaders’.

Then, they had to change the names again when the Soviet Union disappeared. Maybe we’ll get smart and rename the courthouse, the ‘Antelope Valley Courthouse’ and save all the extra words on signs and letterheads.

18. Dwn2medicate
    August 28, 2014 at 9:38 pm

Maybe people are homeless because we have no jobs here. So many people rely on Metrolink to get to work.
    Some people do not have a luxury of owning vehicles, because maybe feeding their kids is a little more important. People who speak negatively have obviously never had to eat from a food bank. We are not less than anyone. We are struggling. And most are doing their best. Until you live it, you can’t understand it.

19. 10dog
    August 28, 2014 at 6:15 pm

We get their homeless and they get to use up our land to sent power to LA and those Solar panel are so ugly. Say good buy to the wildflowers!

August 28, 2014 at 6:18 pm

You forgot the prison.

Lancaster is one lucky city.

The prison, the homeless, the solar panels and …………..REX.

What more could a city ask for?

• xb-51
        August 29, 2014 at 3:21 pm

William- Being the narcissist that you are, and you fit the description perfectly, all you can comment on is how much hatred you have for those less fortunate than you. You have said in your many rants that you hate people that go to WalMart, anyone that has less money than you, and that you belong to the Trader Joe, better restaurant, and mall crowd. You also verbally abuse veterans. You hate everyone and think everyone is beneath you. The only thing you do enjoy is being the internet troll.

August 29, 2014 at 3:43 pm

Find a quote where I said that I ‘hated people less fortunate’, that I ‘belong’ to Trade Joe, (it’s not a club), or you are a liar.

You sound just like Eric or Jud on a bender with a new username.

Verbally abuse veterans????? If somene goes on a website, acts like a jerk and then claims to be a veteran, he is not bringing honor to the military. He should either quit being a jerk OR not mention his service but you can’t do both and think you get a pass.

It’s just like a priest, minister, doctor, teacher, or a lawyer who mentions his occupation while being a jerk. Look at how Rex Parris makes attorneys look bad. If someone is a Marine and talks trash it’s worse than hiding behind their mother’s apron to hide behind the uniform to shield themselves.

Understand?

20. Eric
    August 28, 2014 at 5:58 pm

Strangely, apparently nobody realizes that the homeless are not shelling out $24 for a round trip ticket, or $12 for a one way ticket just to get to Lancaster. Regardless, 300+ people daily riding the metrolink. If they wanted to make more money, they would offer more services at the Lancaster Station.

21. cierra
    August 28, 2014 at 4:12 pm

So what happens when people need to get to lancaster because they live in lancaster but go to school somewhere else and go home for weekends. How are they suppose to get back and forth if the metrolink closes

• Private Plane
      August 28, 2014 at 5:51 pm

Do you think the man who wants this, the man with his own private plane and pilot gives a rat’s behind how people get back and forth? For crying out loud, he’s never here anyway. He doesn’t care about anyone but himself.

22. ockid
    August 28, 2014 at 4:00 pm

Glad to hear Lancaster is willing to step to the fight against “homelessness” I will make sure to spread the word around DTLA skid row that Lancaster has FREE SERVICES for them. Also, I will ask our program director to look into opening a Lancaster office to help the homelessness in Lancaster.

DTLA welcomes Lancaster stepping up to help with the fight to end homelessness.

23. Tom
    August 28, 2014 at 3:24 pm

I’ve noticed a lot more “walkers” lately. The reason I don’t live in Los Angeles City is because I don’t like the liberal culture they breed there. The AV is not a dumping ground for those tree hugging, Social giveaway, libertarians. If closing it would help shield us from LA’s issues, I say do it and do it quickly. Or I guess it’s time to flee to another city away from this crap.

August 28, 2014 at 5:20 pm

You’re funny, Tom
      Rex Parris is a republican. The town is republican.

It’s a ‘Christian community’. It’s practically run by a local church.

Rex welcomed Section 8 renters to fill up the vacant homes. He said the Antelope Valley needs them.

He spent $10 million remodeling the hopeless blvd surrounded by old low-income housing, the Metrolink station, the sheriff’s station. (It’s interesting that sheriff or police stations are never in the nicest part of town), Sierra Highway with cheap hotels and auto body shops, etc.

He’s spent a lot on a ‘spy plane’ that doesn’t do much about the homeless problem but costs the city anyway for catching Walmart shoplifters.

That’s your conservative republican leadership in Lancaster. If you don’t like tree-hugging, Social giveaway libertarians, that’s all you’ve got left. You’re soaking in it.

Enjoy.

• Stinger
      August 29, 2014 at 6:43 am

Tom, you seem to have a great deal of confusion going on in that head of yours.

First off; “walking” does not necessarily equate to homelessness.
      Second; “liberal” is NOT equivalent to “libertarian.” Not even close.
      Third; fleeing to another city will not save you from the homeless problem as it is pretty much everywhere, although it may save you from the crap of your current idiot mayor’s farcical ‘determinations’ and ‘decisions.’

24. Stuck Here
    August 28, 2014 at 11:09 am

If Lancaster is the dumping ground for LA County, then the AV should become it’s own county and let LA keep all its problems. Homeless, Rapists, Section 8, Welfare.

They come here because LA County pays more in hand outs, and the AV is one of the cheapest places to live in LA County. So they can collect LA County money and live higher on the hog, while spreading the word to all their friends to come do the same.

25. dustin cain
    August 28, 2014 at 10:21 am

BEING A local business owner I’m in the direct hub of these homeless walkers. That move around like zombies on a daily basis. It is an extreme problem that does need direct action. I’m so used to the panhandling I have regulars at my small shop. I do see the Issue with closing the train station down for the commuters. Make a budget to round the bums up and send them back through some type of loophole. Or at least send them back and then close it down. I know our local deputys are very busy as is. But we do need more cracking down on the walkers. It’s out of hand. Ps anyone watch walking dead it’s a story about the av

• calwatch
      August 28, 2014 at 2:45 pm

So anyone walking is now considered homeless? Just because someone is disheveled they shouldn’t belong there? Now, if there are people who aren’t paying fare they should be ticketed and if they do it too many times, they can be arrested. But some of them are people that just want a change of scenery. You can have the cops crack down on panhandling and more importantly educate people to not give to panhandlers. But closing down the Metrolink station, returning the federal funds which constructed it (part of the Northridge Earthquake mitigation) and screwing over commuters is not an option.

• Catfish
        August 28, 2014 at 5:43 pm

Who in the AV uses the Metro line some I’m sure. The majority ride the bus or commute in their cars. My daughters never wanted to use to train. to dangerous. And now with these people who have many issue’s with mental illness even less are they going to ride it. Close it down it is a shipping service to drop off these people. The only time I rode the metro was when it snowed and the 14 was closed. It was a way to get home . But it was a nightmare.

26. Stinger
    August 28, 2014 at 9:28 am

So… The great social scientist, Lee D’Errico, has done an ‘evaluation’ and reported some outrageous ‘findings’ claiming that Lancaster is being overrun by homeless travelling up from downtown LA via the Metrolink, eh?

Okay, Lee, prove it. You are making some pretty incredible claims, Lee. Let’s see the scientific evaluation report, with its statistical controls that were in place for this study to prevent inaccurate results and the subsequent peer-reviewed (or at least peer-reviewable) statistics to support this claim.

We’re waiting, Lee…

27. Just Saying
    August 28, 2014 at 9:26 am

I believe it is more of a “end of the line” problem. They take the free ride as far as it will go, and find themselves in Lancaster. I would bet that if the train kept going, the freeloaders would keep going too. Here’s a thought. Extend the line to Rosamond, Mojave, or even Bakersfield. That would be costly, but might break even if you figure the homeless traffic leaving L.A. and going to Kern.

28. BORK
    August 28, 2014 at 9:05 am

Yea lets close the station? really? they will find away down here anyway. Why not clean up the area around the station? Why not spend a lot of money and move it to ave D? How about doing that? you knew when you open any kind of transportation hub this can happen? Look at the greyhound bus terminal? whats the difference? How about doing what all of classy people do, ignore it and hope the problem of homelessness goes away. the real answer is open a mental hospital, fund it, and be proud of it.

• Maryahblue
      August 28, 2014 at 4:22 pm

Hey, I live on Avenue D. I don’t want that thing here. I moved here because nothing is around and I like it that way!!!

29. Once a nice place.
    August 28, 2014 at 8:58 am

Why can’t the cops put the doughnuts down long enough and be at the station when “they “come off the train and if they can not show any means of support, and are just here for the hand out, put them back on the train and ship them down to oh! I don’t know maybe Orange County, Long Beach, or back to Compton, anywhere, tell them we have no free $$ or resources for outsiders anymore. We need to take care of our own people that have lived here for years and have fallen on hard times and need our help. That’s what each city should do for their own!!
    Herd them up and keep taking them to the outskirts of town like they did in the old west days. Use the cops to break up on the homeless camps and “move them on”, out of our town. As I said before I’m not talking about the ones that once called the AV HOME or need mental help…just the free loaders from out of town that are flooding in…and don’t tell me the cops couldn’t tell the difference, they know!!
    If it’s not the rapists, child molesters, child killers, drug dealers it’s the homeless that are being shipped here….NEEDS TO STOP!!! Just saying…

30. David
    August 28, 2014 at 8:18 am

Yesterday I gave a few coins to a homeless person. He told me that very soon the City of Lancaster was shipping 70% of the area homeless down to skid row because they have a special program to help them. Sounds like something is already happening.

Closing the Lancaster Metrolink station is wrong headed. While I can drive to L.A. many people can’t. That is the main reason for public transportation. This will only make the lives of less affluent people harder. Next they will move all homeless services to some field west of the fairgrounds or close them altogether.

The solution to homelessness is opportunity. It is also support services to provide housing, food, medical and mental health services. Why do we keep using a sledge hammer on people who are already damaged and broken?

In case our leaders have no empathy for fellow human beings then at least care because they are fellow citizens. With each decision we are either choosing to affirm life or to cause destruction and ultimately death. I call on our leaders to choose life.

• Wiliam
      August 28, 2014 at 8:37 am

To expand on that, David, up to 17,000 Americans will die prematurely in 2014 because red state governors have refused to expand Medicaid, according to a Harvard/City University of New York study. This from the ‘pro-life’ party. Unbelievable. That’s more than died on 9/11, in Benghazi, and soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan combined. But, notice where all the focus is placed.

There is an election coming up in November and, unfortunately, this congressional district has to choose between 2 republicans.

Steve Knight opposed funding for polling places on the University of California and California State University campuses. That is part of the GOP voter suppression drive going on for the last few years. It’s not just about IDs as that is just a distraction from a myriad of proposed and adopted legislation to suppress and discourage voting by minorities, the poor, the elderly, students and any other demographic that they think will vote Democratic.

And, Strickland is probably even worse.

On every issue that concerns the poor, working poor and even the middle class, the GOP is committed to cutting funding for those people hurt most by the severe recession we had and that is still occurring for many Americans.

• teq
        August 29, 2014 at 7:20 pm

William, get over yourself… the entire problem lays at the feet of liberals…. from the unfriendly business environment (no jobs) to the love of people on the dole (they vote) to sanctuary state that pisses away 12 billion a year on services to people in the country illegally…./

everything the liberals do destroys the society and causes more problems than existed before they decided to “help”

31. Magnificently Significantly Stupid
    August 28, 2014 at 8:01 am

The Magnificent and Significantly Stupid Quote of the Day:
    “With 67 (homeless) a day shipped to us, it doesn’t take a rocket scientist. Isn’t it about time we quit being victims of downtown Los Angeles?” – R. Rex Parris, AV Press.

Uh, shipped by WHOM? 67 a DAY? According to my rocket scientist calculator that would amount to 24,455 people a year.

A truly Magnificent and Significantly Stupid Quote of the Day.

• Eric
      August 29, 2014 at 11:59 pm

I agree. where did that study come from? I ride the train, and have never been asked was I HOMELESS or not.

August 30, 2014 at 12:42 am

If they close the Metrolink station, they’ll have to ship them by FedEx, overnight.

32. Palmdale Worker
    August 28, 2014 at 3:49 am

I work for the City of Palmdale in areas that concern the train station. I’m not revealing exactly where for fear of retribution, however. I can guarantee that closing the train station in Lancaster will do absolutely nothing to stop the transient population from L.A. in regards to using Lancaster Homeless services. The reason being is Palmdale has no such services other than SAVES. The only information we have available to give to homeless has nothing but Lancaster addresses on them. Something else to consider is that the train ticket they have is valid for bus travel on the AVTA. With Palmdale Transportation Center having several routes for AVTA that depart to and from Lancaster, the servoces are only a bus ride a way. This will only burden Palmdale and the AVTA in addition to Lancaster. Shutting the station does not solve the problem

• Mark
      August 28, 2014 at 6:28 am

Thanks, that’s good information. Interesting what becomes of public transportation a few years down the road. We may be better off having the high speed train bypass the A.V. completely. This issue reminds me of the issues surrounding illegal immigration, as that’s going to burden our resources too.

• G. Marrion
        August 28, 2014 at 9:40 am

Immigration is just bait to distract attention from the 100 times larger problem of treasury drains from the wars, and tax cuts for the rich.

33. Scott
    August 28, 2014 at 3:40 am

Lancaster Deputy Sheriffs should be waiting for them with return tickets. Anyone that can be identified as a transient from outside the AV, should be sent right back to where they boarded the train. If the AV is under funded, we should not accept the homeless problem from other parts of LA County. If downtown LA is funded for these homeless people, Downtown is where they reed to be provided shelter, food, and other services, not underfunded Lancaster. This should be delt with in City Hall, not on Lancaster Boulevard (and not by closing the Lancaster Metrolink station).

• Joann Leamon
      August 28, 2014 at 12:46 pm

What is wrong with our City Council? Transients aren’t the only people to ride the train. Don’t use the trains to solve the problem of transients coming to this area. So what you gonna do, stop busses, cars and planes from coming up here to your beloved valley? Stop the madness, use your brains and come up with ideas that affect LA County and their services for the transients. Don’t stop services that others use.

• Private Plane
        August 28, 2014 at 5:55 pm

What is wrong with our City Council? There isn’t enough character space to post it all. It starts at the top. We have a corrupt bully for a leader who surrounds himself with weak willed people who will do his bidding no matter what the consequeses are or the truth is.

34. William
    August 28, 2014 at 12:09 am

Waitasecond. Wait a second.

I thought I once heard Rex proclaim/boast/brag that the blvd was going to be the ‘safest place in the universe’ and a ‘world class destination’ that people from Los Angeles could drive, ride a horse, walk or take METROLINK to get to and enjoy………….a cupcake??? A stroll down the ‘ramblas’. A walk around the corner to Sierra Highway to be greeted by a ‘sidewalk hostess’.

Are there still cupcakes on the blvd?

Did I hear him incorrectly?

Maybe they should just line the street with solar panels and move on. Have you ever seen such a messed up city government that wasn’t in jail.

• Anonymous
      August 28, 2014 at 8:37 am

@ William
      Please! Have you been to the “blvd” <— sorry the font wont go any smaller!
      Go in front of the library that's where the homeless unite.

The Metro link is a gateway for the homeless. This city is beginning to feel like Mojave. A truck stop or dumping ground and nothing more.

I live in Lancaster : ( however; I work in Palmdale and I must say neither one of these towns/cities are what they used to be as far as quality of people. Don't even get me started on the "reduced" crime rate in Lancaster…

And,… no there aren't cupcakes on the blvd the shop closed down and sub lets a space inside the yogurt shop….

• Asher
        August 28, 2014 at 3:20 pm

Exactly!! Every *single* time I go to the library, there is about 15-20 homeless people hanging out in front. Now, I have no problem with them per se, but do they really need to be right there? Can’t we find them a better “hang-out” spot? Or better yet, build an actual facility that is meant FOR them.

• John Howard
          August 30, 2014 at 7:44 pm

The Library is an LA County sanctuary location. It’s run by the county and out of the control of the City of Lancaster.
          Also numerous church affiliated groups give out free meals at the Library on the weekends. It can draw a crowd of people anywhere from 10-50 people at lunch time on a Saturday.

The Library offers a cool place to relax with free WiFi, unlimited porn on Library computers and lots of women and children to oogle… why would they hang out anywhere else?

35. Chris
    August 27, 2014 at 11:29 pm

I live in Lancaster and work in Palmdale. Everywhere I go in Lancaster I always see homeless panhandling on street corners and off ramps of freeway and parking lots. Palmdale is pro-active when it comes to panhandlers. Usually it turns into strong arm robbery and other things. Maybe the city and Lancaster Sheriff’s Station need to crack down on this. Maybe the panhandler will get the picture that the city will not put up with this. I don’t think that closing the Metrolink station down is the answer. The city needs to get tuff on the other issues that attract them to Lancaster city like panhandling.

36. Dee
    August 27, 2014 at 11:18 pm

Homeless from LA is a small problem compared to the bigger picture. LA County has been sending welfare recipients up to the AV. This is a secret effort to revitalize communities surrounding LAX and the vision to bring bigger money into Los Angeles to rival NYC. As a result, the Antelope Valley welfare offices have double the case load of any other region in LA County. Then we wonder why our town flounders. We are the Welfare, Disabled, & Homeless Capitol of the whole country. Wake up AV we need better leadership.

August 27, 2014 at 11:34 pm

A few years ago, Parris said he welcomed Section 8 renters to the AV because they occupied the vacant houses. I wonder if he owns any.

BTW The blvd will attract the homeless of Lancaster even if the Metrolink station is closed. Location. Location. Location.

The voters should have elected a real estate agent instead of a lawyer.

• Mark
      August 28, 2014 at 6:30 am

You haven’t seen anything yet. Just wait until Obama approves amnesty by executive order. Taxes will eventually have to be raised to provide money for the all the free services.

• Stryker
        August 28, 2014 at 9:52 am

Is TPM down or did they kick you off, again?

37. William
    August 27, 2014 at 11:17 pm

Jud
    August 27, 2014 at 3:55 pm

“William,
    I was just down on the BLVD, pretty sweet down there! Any comments? How does the BLVD compare to the mall?”

There’s no accounting for taste, is there?

• Rename
      August 28, 2014 at 8:03 am

I am making the prediction that the section of Lancaster Blvd between 10th West and Sierra Hwy will be renamed Rex Perris Blvd.

August 28, 2014 at 9:56 am

There was a movie called ‘Forget Paris’. It should be played at the theater on the blvd next election.

38. Nancy P
    August 27, 2014 at 10:34 pm

Who are the “they”, that Parris and Lee are talking about? Are “they” going to skid row in LA and telling the homeless people to come to Lancaster? Are “they” buying tickets for some of the homeless people?
    Why would City Council be in such a hurry to close the 1 form of transportation that many people use daily for work? Are they proposing the train ends in Palmdale? There has to be more to this story. What’s the rush.
    Are these homeless people just sitting around at Lancaster shelters all day or walking the Blvd?
    Is this a Blvd. issue? Are the homeless people hanging around City Hall or other downtown offices causing problems or making City employees uncomfortable? Are they stealing their lunches?
    Perhaps the Metrolink needs to hire more people to enforce fare checking.
    Are the Homeless Shelters all funded by local money?
    With all the problems in Lancaster, the homeless people should be a small issue. They need help and the Veterans should be given whatever services they need, regardless if they are “from” LA.

• MR. PERPLEXED
      August 27, 2014 at 11:01 pm

THE “THEY” ARE THE LOS ANGELES POLITICIANS AND LAPD TO NAME THEM!
      EVEN IN MOVIES AND TV SHOWS HOMELESS AND CRIMINALS ARE SENT TO LANCASTER… ONE RECENT COP SHOW “give him a one way ticket to Lancaster”

• Nancy P
        August 27, 2014 at 11:46 pm

Probably have family here. Family, that was invited to move here by a former Mayor of Lancaster.

• Nancy P
        August 27, 2014 at 11:47 pm

All caps.. are you mad?

August 28, 2014 at 12:00 am

@Nancy P.
          I’m laughing because at first I thought you mean ‘mad/crazy’ then thought, maybe ‘mad/angry’. The former was funnier.

• Mark
            August 28, 2014 at 6:32 am

mad/crazy to continue to live here ;)

39. Ed Sileo
    August 27, 2014 at 10:32 pm

Huh. How much money did the City take to develop a “Transit Village” downtown? Will they be returning that restricted money? (I don’t recall if those monies were federal or state…

40. marnette shobey todd
    August 27, 2014 at 10:21 pm

How can they close the lancaster station thats not fair when people need this train just like the palmdale my sisterr rides out here every other weekend from los Angeles to see my mom, she has Alzheimer’s and she don’t even know us her own daughters but the train is the only way out here besides a car everyone don’t have a car to go back and forth down that hill and it’s closer to my house. Please don’t close the lancaster metro link station people who work need the train i call it a vacation when i go down below or anywhere. Thank you

41. The Shadow
    August 27, 2014 at 10:05 pm

The City Council does not have the RIGHT to shut down the Metrolink that people use to get to and from our city because a minority of the riders are homeless somehow shipping up here. The solution requires something more than gum flapping and making a pretense at doing something.

We obviously are not getting 67 people a day that are here to tap our resources. Simple as heck, take it up with Metrolink if you think they are coming here without buying a ticket, demand accountability. But do not delude yourself that we are getting 67 people a day, 469 a week, 1876 a month or 24,388 a year. It’s nowhere NEAR that or we would deb up to our armpits in homeless persons roaming the streets and dying in the heat.

If the issue is funding or lack thereof, go get it! Set up a petition on a petition site and ask the community to sign it. Send a clear, strong, LOUD message to Los Angeles we are not the rug they sweep their problems under. Because people, by god, are not PROBLEMS, they are PEOPLE. And the homeless in the US are 85% MEN. A good number are veterans.

We don’t treat our men like they are disposable resources, Mayor Parris!

• J
      August 27, 2014 at 10:49 pm

Well said!

• vicboyd
      August 27, 2014 at 11:51 pm

Very well said, a sight too intelligent for the limited brains that serve on Lancaster City Council but valid nonetheless. Perhaps the rush to judgement indicates or obfuscates a more telling reason for closure of one of our links to the outside world.

• Shawnee
      August 28, 2014 at 8:47 am

I wonder how Mr. D’Errico determined that he saw 67 homeless people get off of the train in one day. Did he walk up to each and every one of them and ask? Did he just count the people wearing shoddy clothing? Or were they wearing big, neon labels on their jackets that said ‘homeless’.

42. Rose
    August 27, 2014 at 10:02 pm

Because our city leaders don’t know how to deal with the homeless problem they want to take services away from almost 400 working people who rely on the train.
    Very easy fix: Prove that you were once a productive citizen of Lancaster or we can’t help you. Sorry, we are limited and can’t help everyone.

• Mark
      August 28, 2014 at 6:34 am

We need those 400 riders to continue get to and from work so they can continue to help pay for the resource necessary to take care of the homeless.

43. Gary J.
    August 27, 2014 at 9:57 pm

Good thinking, council.

Also consider constructing walls to keep the riff raff out. With armed towers.

44. Nancy
    August 27, 2014 at 9:52 pm

I was once on the freeway off ramp at Ave. K waiting for the light to change and a homeless man J walked across the ramp in front of us, walked off the ramp. Turned and faced us, folded his arms and torpedoed himself down into what appeared to be a hole. Who knows what’s going on down there.

• Gary
      August 28, 2014 at 8:55 am

Maybe Scotty was beaming him up…or down in this case.

• G. Marrion
      August 28, 2014 at 9:03 am

There is a network of storm drain tunnels under the freeway at K, the Lancaster Auto Mall, both Kaiser facilities and Lancaster City park. It is part of the dry wash on the East side of the 14 that just seems to just disappear at Ave K. In the dry seasons I hear this is noisy, but cool shelter from the sun for the homeless. Also underneath the wash bridges from J-8, all the way up to H, hold the overflow from “the Tunnels”, when they start fighting for space.

45. August 27, 2014 at 9:34 pm

I work everywhere in the av everyday &see the homeless
    at every off ramp holding sighns asking for $ in fact
    they take shifts when you dont give $ they get mad
    almost every gas staytion or liq store is the same
    lived here most of my life past 2 yrs have been horrible
    with this situation most of these people make more than us
    On a daily avg im sick of it so those who think we dont
    have a problem maybe you should set some cotts up in
    your backyard and take care of them cause I for 1 is getting very
    sick of this crap Go lancaster city council i say

• vicboyd
      August 28, 2014 at 12:01 am

I too travel throughout the AV and see the odd homeless person begging at a few selected off ramps. Never have I seen any anger shown when I have declined to give money. Unlike you I do not feequent liquor stores and so am never accosted. As for gas stations, again I have never been accosted methinks you have your own agenda.

46. Dani
    August 27, 2014 at 9:30 pm

First of all, it’s comforting to know that our city officials are keeping track of the “local homeless population.” Sounds like the city is doing a real bang up job on that front.

Secondly, my wife and I have utilized this Metrolink station for almost two years. Tell me why we always buy tickets to ride the train after receiving a violation ticket from a Metrolink officer checking tickets after just departing the Lancaster station? We go nowhere near the “main service station,” yet we were ticketed nonetheless. There is security aboard the train.

Thirdly, the train schedule has suffered some blows in the last year, making it difficult to travel comfortably through LA County. Shutting this station will definitely hurt the community and I will openly stand against the mayor’s exasperated wish

47. Pamela P
    August 27, 2014 at 9:26 pm

There are many folks who take the transportation for other reasons than coming to Lancaster for services. Students travel, seniors travel, disabled individuals travel. These are Antelope Valley community residents who commute to Greater Los Angeles using the Metro Link. If the “homeless” are coming up here for services, where then is the accountability of the agency who provides the services verifying the client’s residency. I thought if you were a resident of Los Angeles County, services provided by the County are funded through the county, including the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department. What public funds from the City of Lancaster are being used? There is the Los Angeles County Mental Health, Los Angeles County Regional Center, Los Angeles County Department of Child Services, Los Angeles County Public Services. The bus and metro passes these individual receive are from Los Angeles County taxes. Without valid independent studies, surveys, taking a radical position is based on speculation Lancaster is footing the bill. Isn’t Grace Resource a non-profit organization and others homeless services likewise, footing the bill from the generous donations of residents? Isn’t Grace Resources and other homeless services separate from governmental agencies, other than licensing requirements?

48. Kristen C.
    August 27, 2014 at 9:20 pm

I hope Lancaster Metrolink station gets closed. Palmdale Metrolink station is really nice and can accommodate AV residents.

• Shawnee
      August 28, 2014 at 8:55 am

Closing the Lancaster station and keeping the Palmdale one open would do absolutely no good. Because when homeless people are picked up in Palmdale they are dropped off at the one shelter in the valley… which is in Lancaster. In order for Mayor Parris’ plan to be effective, they would have to close both stations.

Closing the Lancaster station isn’t going to help the homeless situation. What it is oging to do is hurt people who use the Metrolink to get to work down below.

49. brenda
    August 27, 2014 at 9:16 pm

Thats Just Crazy….. I Ride The Metro From the LANCASTER Station on a weekly basis for work like many other hard working people who rely on catching the Metrolink From LANCASTER to the valley for work or many other reasons we need to come down to the valley. we dont all have transportation to reach the palmdale station or funds. More than homeless people ride the metro from lancaster or vise versa.

50. nikki
    August 27, 2014 at 9:16 pm

D’ERRICO IS TELLING A BOLD FACE LIE..I USED TO RIDE THE METROLINK LAST YEAR FROM LANCASTER TO THE SYLMAR STATION TO WORK. I WITNESSED THE POLICE/SHERIFF ISSUE TICKETS TO PEOPLE THAT DIDN’T HAVE TICKETS ALMOST EVERY MORNING … I GOT TICKETED MYSELF FOR NOT HAVING A TICKET IN MY POSSESSION, BUT I HAD THE STUB WHERE I PURCHASED MY TICKET WITH MY DEBIT CARD AND I STILL WAS CITED. THE SHERRIFF PERFORMED A WALK THROUGH ALMOST EVERY MORNING ASKING PASSENGERS TO SHOW THERE TICKETS. THEY WOULD EVEN WAKE YOU UP IF YOU WERE SLEEPING. MY SON GOT TICKETED A FEW YEARS AGO ON THE METROLINK IN LANCASTER. I BELIEVE THAT STATEMENT IS A COVER UP, TO REALLY SHUT DOWN PEOPLE HAVING EASY ACCESS TO RIDE THE METROLINK FROM LOS ANGELES TO LANCASTER. THE COUNCIL NEED TO ADDRESS THE PERSONAL ISSUE WITH THE DIRECTORS IN LOS ANGELES THAT ARE SENDING THE HOMELESS PEOPLE TO LANCASTER FOR SHELTER…. SOUNDS LIKE SOME BULLSH**T TO ME.

51. kat
    August 27, 2014 at 9:14 pm

i can’t believe that they would even consider closing the metrolink station because of this.. there has to be another way.. yes LA see us as a dumping ground.. but there just has to be another way.. please think of alternatives.. get to the root of the problem… **D’Errico agreed, attributing a great part of the transient problem to Metrolink’s inability to police its own ridership**

52. BigRails
    August 27, 2014 at 9:03 pm

What is king rex going to do when he has a high speed rail coming in from all over california? I’m sure homeless people will get passes to use that as well is he going to allow lancaster to not be anywhere near that rail line?

53. Quigley
    August 27, 2014 at 8:57 pm

Downtown Los Angeles?? Who the hel! Is Downtown Los Angeles?? If you’re going to cry poor Lancaster then perhaps you should share what you know, or don’t know??

54. Christine Powers
    August 27, 2014 at 8:56 pm

It’s about time you figured it out it has been happening for years…Need to put a stop to it also they are dropped off at the Palmdale station..Our town is full of Hoodlum s…

55. Hmmm
    August 27, 2014 at 8:49 pm

So I have to wonder if you choose to close the Lancaster Station that would mean that the homeless would get dumped at the next available station which would be Palmdale…and since Lancaster doesn’t know how to coexist that would suit them just fine. I have to laugh at the statements by some of the council members stating that “We’ll take care of our own” and remarks about being “underfunded” for the homeless that come into the city! Last time I checked Lancaster does nothing to help the homeless population as you see them at every corner of the city or business doors panhandling for money or walking up and down throughout the wonderful boulevard…instead it is organizations like Grace Resources and St. Vincent de Paul among other charitable organizations that are helping these people…so who are you kidding Lancaster!?

56. E. Vasquez
    August 27, 2014 at 8:48 pm

Fact is, Parris doesn’t give a crap about the resources being used. He’s more concerned with the the fact that he can’t keep Lancaster white. If he was so worried about money for the city, then why is he forking out thousands of dollars for a damn “spy plane” that does absolutely nothing for our city? He could take that money to help fund more homeless resources. Or shoot, he complains about the education system and how poorly the kids are doing, he could use it to say…..create programs to help kids instead of just crapping on the system.

57. Irena
    August 27, 2014 at 8:33 pm

This is just silly. It seems more like political grandstanding then anything else. The Mayor would cut off the hundreds of people who ride the Metrolink because for a few homeless people?

I have a strong suspicion that this has little to do with the homeless in reality.

• Briefs
      August 27, 2014 at 9:49 pm

That’s exactly what I thought. Then I came to this paragraph in the story:

“We’ll take care of our own,” Crist said. “But if they want to ship them up here, they need to give us the funding for it … Skid Row gets $4,500 per person –we get $279 per person. So we’re grossly underfunded.”

It’s all a money grab for the city. They’re basically demanding more funding or they’ll shut down the metrolink station. Not looking good to hold it hostage like .

Nevermind the implication that if they were able to go through with shutting it down, this essentially becomes Palmdale’s problem. Way to keep it classy, Lancaster City Council.

August 27, 2014 at 11:10 pm

You’re right, Irena.

It wouldn’t be unlike Rex Parris to close the station so that the homeless disembark in Palmdale just to wreak vengence on Mayor Ledford and Palmdale.

He is that low. He is a small, petty man with a big ego and no ethics. If you all think this doesn’t make sense, it doesn’t. But, if Rex is doing it for the reason I stated, it makes perfect sense in his world.

Does anyone think that the real reason behind his joining the lawsuit against Palmdale’s at-large elections had anything at all to do with his concern for minority representation?

Does anyone think that his lies about the proposed Palmdale Power Plant ‘killing the children’ had anything to do with his concern for the children? Do you recall his concern ‘for the children’ when he supported a Walmart across from Quartz Hill High School? Me either.

Any homeless person in Lancaster would make a better mayor next election than what Lancaster has now.

• Mark
        August 28, 2014 at 6:37 am

He is a small, petty man with a big ego and no ethics. = Lawyer

• Jessica
      August 27, 2014 at 11:18 pm

I strongly suspect this has more to do with keeping those “homeless people” away from their shiny new blvd that they built on the back of taxpayers out here. Wouldn’t want constant reminders that while they build their ivory towers, the people get poorer, the unemployment rate soars at 14%, and a large number of those “awful” homeless people were actually proud veterans that we sent off to blow up kids halfway around the world, then disposed of them when they stopped being useful to us. God forbid that they get some help with the things they’ve seen and had to do.

I’ll never understand why people do the homeless shaming thing. Maybe LA treats us as a dumping ground because our attitudes towards other people is utter garbage. Easy mistake to make after all.

58. William
    August 27, 2014 at 10:58 pm

@Jud
    You need to start working on your city, Jud, and quit fussing about how I enjoy living in Palmdale. Your priorities are upside-down and I coulda told you this was a-comin’ yer way because you were askin’ for it.

I’ve participated in my city’s affairs on many issues and, for me, it’s paid off. If you are just going to waste your time on trashing my comments, Lancaster will crash and burn at your feet. It probably will anyway.

So, get busy kid. You got a lotta work to do. Let’s see how effective you are. You think you’re hot stuff, dontcha?

59. William
    August 28, 2014 at 6:16 pm

The homeless didn’t shut down the government costing us $14 billion.

The homeless didn’t cause our credit rating to be lowered because they threatened to not raise the debt ceiling.

The party of Rex ‘Reagan’ and his Lancaster buddies did that.

You can thank them by sending a contribution to the RNC.