Pedestrian struck, killed by big rig on Hwy 138

This semi-trailer was going about 55 mph when is drifted partially onto the shoulder and struck and killed a Santa Clarita woman, CHP officials said. (Photo by ED FROMMER)

LLANO – A 33-year-old woman died Sunday night after she was struck by a semi-trailer that drifted onto the highway shoulder, authorities said.

Brianna Smith of Santa Clarita was pronounced dead at the scene of the collision, which occurred around 8:20 p.m. Sunday, March 30 on SR-138, just west of 165th Street East, according to a California Highway Patrol report.

Robert Cotterman, 55, of Colorado, was driving a 2010 International semi and trailer eastbound on SR-138 at approximately 55 miles per hour, the CHP report states.

“For unknown reasons, the tractor trailer drifted partially onto the south shoulder. The pedestrian was traveling in an unknown direction on the south shoulder and was struck by the tractor trailer,” the CHP report states.

No one was arrested in connection with the collision, and no further information on the crash was immediately available Monday afternoon. The incident remains under investigation.

25 comments for “Pedestrian struck, killed by big rig on Hwy 138

1. German Maik
    April 6, 2014 at 11:31 pm

Sorry to hear about your lost our condolences to you stay strong your son needs you love and respect Katrina and German Maik

2. DEBBI
    April 6, 2014 at 1:55 am

omg I WAS JUST TOLD Brianna WAS SEEING THE GUY DRIVING THE TRUCK …. HELLO HE KILLED HER THE POLICE WAS NOT TOLD THIS!!!!

• DEBBI
      April 7, 2014 at 11:05 am

is it true that the guy driving the truck was dating her?????

• gibson
        April 9, 2014 at 8:32 am

I think so Debbi … I was told the same thing by 3 other people rt. after it had just happened!!!! And they don’t even know eachother!!!! She was seen being dropped off by a man in a semi truck a few times!!!!!!

3. nikki kitchenn
    April 2, 2014 at 1:27 pm

I love u bre u will be missed .and to sean im so sorry

4. KIMBERLY GREENWOOD
    April 1, 2014 at 7:31 pm

REST IN PARADISE BRI YOU WERE A REALLY GREAT FRIEND TO ME AND MY KIDS I LOVE YOU.

5. Mike C.
    April 1, 2014 at 3:58 pm

Coming from South Dakota. So sorry to read of your loss. We’ll be saying a prayer for Brianna and her family tonight for sure. :((

6. Sean Smith
    April 1, 2014 at 12:54 pm

My love and respects to all my freinds and family… It hard to tell a 6 year old…Keith autism… About his mom….. Anyone that want to make a small donation for the family… Please send to our family… We really need support… Please send to 16138 spunky canyon road… Green valley , ca … 91390 thank you … It will really help the family.. And my son… Brianna son…

• Letlow
      April 1, 2014 at 1:46 pm

My deepest condolences on your loss. No child should have to grow up without a mother. I noticed you mentioned your son has autism. I just read an autism event on this site. Perhaps you can reach out to those folks for some help as well?

Best of luck to you!

• Irena
      April 1, 2014 at 2:38 pm

I strongly recommend that you have a fund set up at a local bank or website dedicated to this. Please ask a moderator to remove your address, it is just asking for trouble.

Assuming you are the child’s guardian now of course.

Also consider retaining an attorney who specializes in wrongful deaths cases.

• Sean Smith
        April 1, 2014 at 8:31 pm

To Irena… This is all new to me… How do you go about finding the moderator…having a hard time finding any info .. Do you know anything that would help…

• Sunshine
          April 1, 2014 at 11:47 pm

Scroll to the top of this page and click on “contact” in the top, right hand corner. It will give you email address.
          Sorry for your loss.

7. Sean Smith
    April 1, 2014 at 12:34 pm

To the mother of my son…. I will always miss you… You were my Freind.. And my son loved you so much…. I will always protect him… And to the driver.. Wake up dumb ass… There’s actually people out there…

• robbie
      April 1, 2014 at 1:07 pm

Sean I’m so sorry for your loss. My prayers are with you and your son.
      Robbie ( Ashley’s mom)

• Kelley Macoy
      April 2, 2014 at 8:36 am

That’s right brother

• Jack
      April 3, 2014 at 12:36 am

He was not sleep , He was texting

• kayla
      April 5, 2014 at 7:40 pm

im so sorry about your loss!!!! and yes that driver really does need to wake up!!!

• Jennifer long "Pinkie"
      April 12, 2014 at 12:56 am

OMG Sean, I can not believe this. My heart just broke. I am so sorry. I love that girl she will be missed soooo much. If I can do anything to help in anyway let me know.

• debbi
        April 24, 2014 at 11:34 am

i was told she was dating the guy that hit her…..

8. Gail
    April 1, 2014 at 9:05 am

Does anybody happen to know her last name?

• Sweetie
      April 1, 2014 at 10:50 am

It’s in the article above.

9. misty green
    April 1, 2014 at 3:32 am

Wow…taken too soon…u will be missed…God bless family n friends through this tough time…my deepest sympathies

10. amanda_atkinson
    April 1, 2014 at 12:22 am

R.I.P Brianna you will be missed. You were a great person and a good friend when needed. Being in TTC with you was a blessing i love you girl!!

11. Taylor Federmeyer
    March 31, 2014 at 5:54 pm

RIP my prayers are with your loved ones… Love you

12. april gibson
    March 31, 2014 at 3:14 pm

Brea.. Your going to be missed by soooooooooooo many people!!!!! We love you sooooooo much!!! My thoughts and prayers go to your family and baby Daniel!!!!! I Love You!!!!