Ervin opens campaign headquarters with Fox, Ledford

Palmdale Mayor Jim Ledford (left) said he endorsed Ervin because Ervin was committed to repairing relationships between Lancaster and Palmdale. (Simac Production Studios)

LANCASTER – California State Assemblyman Steve Fox and Palmdale Mayor Jim Ledford were among the dozens of supporters who gathered at the east Lancaster campaign headquarters of Johnathon Ervin on Saturday for the office’s grand opening.

Ervin, a 35-year-old engineer and Air Force veteran, is running for Lancaster City Council in the April 8, 2014 election.

Assemblyman Steve Fox also endorsed Ervin for Lancaster City Council. (Simac Production Studios)

“I think the key thing here is he’s been showing a great deal of leadership in everything he’s touched, and as a result, I think it’s time to use that leadership right here in Lancaster,” Fox said Saturday.

Ledford said he was supporting Ervin because Ervin could help bridge the gap between Lancaster and Palmdale.

“We certainly could do better if we cooperate as cities, as jurisdictions, so we want to make sure that we have people that are earnest when they say ‘we want to cooperate,’ and I think Jonathon represents that,” Ledford said. “I’m asking the voters in Lancaster to let their vote count twice by bullet voting for Jonathon Ervin for Lancaster City Council.”

The AV Times sat with Ervin for a brief chat on Saturday. Ervin explained why he is running for city council, his biggest obstacles going into the election, and his plans for office, if elected. Read our conversation below:

AVT: Why are you running for Lancaster City Council?

ERVIN: I’ve led several organizations, and I think diversity of thought makes us better. I think we need a voice that can work with Palmdale, work with the County, work with the Feds to bring jobs, lower crime, help our seniors. I’m running because our community has many needs and I think that I can provide some leadership, some teamwork in helping achieve the things that we need.

AVT: How does it feel to receive endorsements from both Assemblyman Steve Fox and Palmdale Mayor Jim Ledford in your run for city council?

ERVIN: It feels really good to have broad support across the community. I think it proves that I’m going to be able to make good on my promises of helping the communities work together to create jobs, to lower crime. I think these endorsements are evidence that I’m able to be a bridge builder, whether it be between the communities, the county and the state. I think it says a lot about what I stand for. I think people are getting behind it, and the coalition is growing.

AVT: What is your biggest obstacle in this election, and how will you overcome it?

ERVIN: Because the elections are going to be in April, the biggest issue is going to be letting Lancaster citizens know that there is an election and ensuring that they get out to vote. That’s the huge obstacle. I’ve got a lot of support; we just have to ensure that people know that there is an election. Our election really should be in November. I think everybody understands that. I’m not sure how we can sue another city to change their elections when ours is in an off-month and at-large, as well. So obviously, there are some things we need to look at, but the biggest obstacle is having an April election. You really don’t get very high turnout, and we have to work to get the word out. We’re hitting homes and knocking on doors.

AVT: If elected to the Lancaster City Council on April 8, what are some of the first issues you will address?

ERVIN: I think the first thing that needs to be done is to repair our relationship with the municipalities around us, obviously Los Angeles County [and] Palmdale. I’d also like to enhance our relationship with Edwards Air Force Base.

So day one is shoring up the coalitions for the big fights that we’re going to have in the future. I’d like to challenge the public utilities commission to lower our electricity rates. I’d like to have incentives for both cities to get manufacturing back in this community. I’d like to do some federal lobbying in keeping defense aerospace in this area. So there are a lot of areas where we’re going to require coalitions, and day one is going to be repairing our relationships and building coalitions. I think that will lay the foundation for actually making good on my campaign pledges.

Ervin’s campaign headquarters is located in Olympia Plaza at 840 East Avenue K in Lancaster. For more information on Ervin and his campaign, visit or call Ervin directly at 661-429-9572.

45 comments for “Ervin opens campaign headquarters with Fox, Ledford

1. NIMBY
    February 9, 2014 at 10:33 am

Hmmm…So Palmdale mayor Jim Ledford is endorsing Johnathon Ervin (who sued Lancaster City) for a Lancaster City Council seat. Does Ervin think Lancaster voters aren’t aware of his history with the City of Lancaster? If Ervin truly wants to be a councilman why doesn’t Ervin just move to Palmdale and run in the next election for a seat on the Palmdale City Council? Does Ervin want to represent the citizens of Lancaster or does he have an axe to grind with the city? I’m no fan of R. Rex but IMO something’s going on here that just doesn’t pass the smell test and I’m afraid I can’t vote for someone that I don’t trust.

• Son of the Anti Rex
      February 9, 2014 at 12:15 pm

ervin sued over our unusual election process where candidates who don’t live in our city are allowed to run and siphon votes and then be told they weren’t eligible. this is the same voting system that is held in april and the ballots are counted and kept at city hall. why doesn’t the county oversee the election like most other cities? at least try to make it look like you are running a legit election. ervin will be a br

• Son of the Anti Rex
        February 9, 2014 at 12:18 pm

breath of fresh air in an environment that reeks of corruption.

• OT
        February 9, 2014 at 9:18 pm

Ervin sued a city that was either to incompetent or to corrupt to tell a candidate they were a 1/2 block out of city limits. One or the other. You can pick which one. It’s not like anyone in city hall ever acknowledged such disregard, disrespect and gross incompetence at their elections!
        Nice try on refusing any responsibility. Again!

• NIMBY
          February 10, 2014 at 9:00 am

I understand now. Parris sues…Bad. Ervin sues…Good. Got it!

• OT
            February 10, 2014 at 11:53 am

Righttttt. Because there is no difference between someone suing to shake down folks for money, and suing to make sure our elections are kept clean of local government corruption.

• William
      February 10, 2014 at 10:08 am

Did you vote for Parris, Crist, Smith or any of the current ‘trustworthy’ council members?

Ya see. We don’t trust comments such as yours, especially when you throw in that you’re not a fan of Parris. That gives you permission to oppose anyone not a part of the GOB’s network and appear objective.

No pass.

• NIMBY
        February 11, 2014 at 8:29 am

I don’t trust what ANY Politician or “wanna be” Politician says or promises…Period. I certainly won’t vote for someone just because Ledford endorses them either and since some of you are from Palmdale (can’t vote in Lancaster’s election) and care so much about Lancasters’ election (which I can vote) I will be sure to tick ya’lls off by NOT voting for your good friend Ledfords’ endorsement. ;p

• Resident Cynic
          February 11, 2014 at 2:00 pm

Sadly there are many NIMBY’S out there who will continue to support the mayor and his minions. Which means we will continue to wallow in debt, pursue ridiculous ideas like birth tourism, tear up the desert and spread vally fever, pay for a spy plane, sue our neighbors, be sued by heaven only knows who, and on and on and on. On the bright side, we still get to enjoy the bird music on the BLVD.

2. Fedup
    February 8, 2014 at 9:01 am

So Jim Ledford thinks Lancaster needs a fresh breath of political air! Then maybe it’s time for him to step down from his throne also! If Ervin loses again he will sue again

• Son of the Anti Rex
      February 8, 2014 at 8:27 pm

i would take 100 years of ledford over one more day of rex. have you been watching him on tv lately? he keeps talking at all these conferences about how we are doomed. the end is near. it is creepy freaky.

• Joy Joy
        February 11, 2014 at 1:06 pm

Under his leadership, Lancaster is doomed. True

3. Oscar Mejia
    February 5, 2014 at 2:51 pm

We need a different and fresh vision for the City of Lancaster. It is something we need as we plan the future of our beloved city. Resources are misappropriated as one side of the city looks immaculate and the other looks in disrepair. We need a balanced approach. This may just bring the balance we need. You can definitely count on me to challenge the status quo, and that is exactly what Mr. Ervin is doing.

Oscar Mejia
    Lancaster City Council Candidate

4. Michael Yarborough
    February 5, 2014 at 7:41 am

Ervin clearly has a vendetta against Mayor Parris. This is personal, yet Ervin is trying to play the odds and align himself with Mayor Ledford, hoping it will get him elected. If elected, he will create much more internal conflict within the Lancaster City Council than people imagine. He cannot control his anger towards Mayor Parris. If he loses, it is his past practice to sue the City of Lancaster.

• KayDee
      February 5, 2014 at 8:22 am

Um, hello…. You have it backwards. It’s Rex who clearly has a personal vendetta against Ervin because Ervin won’t kowtow to Rex’s will, and everyone knows it! Rex is the one who is attacking Ervin all over Facebook while Ervin is simply defending himself. In a new low (even for a bully like Rex), Rex compared Ervin to an abused housewife… But yet Ervin is the one with the vendetta who can’t control his anger? You’ve got to be kidding me!

• Danny
        February 8, 2014 at 11:23 am

I agree

• Clueless In Lancaster
      February 5, 2014 at 9:12 am

What turnip truck have you fallen off? Rex is out for Ervin after Ervin had the intestinal fortitude to vote against the Walmart in Quartz Hill. Ervin listened to the will of the people not the will of Rex. Rex doesn’t like it when his yes men say no. So he gets rid of them. Or he makes them commissioners which usually shuts the critics up.

• sjgranai
        February 5, 2014 at 5:08 pm

Haha…makes them a commissioner! That is so damn true!
        I see one FB group leader with her head buried up Rex’s butt….she’d kill for a commission seat. Too bad she doesn’t understand that is wrong tactic….lol….go after him and publicly question him…THEN he will give up a commission seat!
        Happens over and over again!

5. I'm_Glad
    February 4, 2014 at 8:21 am

It is about time! Ledford endorsing Ervin is a call to end the fighting and name-calling. How many times do we have to read about another lawsuit or Mayor vs. Mayor deposition.

I am sick and tired of my hometown being destroyed. I want Ervin.

If what Rex claims is true this man would be BEHIND BARS! Not in the Air Force or an engineer. You go Ervin. God Bless.

• William
      February 4, 2014 at 1:25 pm

Exactly. Parris will sacrifice Lancaster to get at Palmdale.

Remember that saying “Cut off your nose to spite your face”.

I think that describes Rex Parris to a ‘T’.

Rex Parris gave Lancaster black eyes for suing Palmdale over the at-large council elections and for fighting a CEC approved power plant. So, how has that benefited Lancaster residents?

• Bob
      February 4, 2014 at 2:18 pm

“Ledford endorsing Ervin is a call to end the fighting and name-calling.”
      Are you delusional!?
      Ledford endorsing Ervin is simply an example of “the enemy of my enemy is my friend.” it’s a way for Ledford to stick it to Parris. Nothing more.
      And the fact that Ervin doesn’t see that suggests he does not have the intellect or insight to hold public office.

• :(
        February 5, 2014 at 12:02 am

That’s right!!! If there’s going to be any of that “sticking it to” anyone, it’s going to be Rex doing the sticking! What the hell is wrong with these people, anyway? Don’t they know how it works here in the AV? The ONLY person allowed to insult, degrade, bully and sue is king Rex! After all of Rex’s performances, one would think this would be common knowledge by now.

• William
          February 5, 2014 at 4:26 pm

Is there an ostrich farm in Lancaster where all the voters stick their heads in the sand while Rex does the most outrageous things while the city suffers?

• Arthur Calloway II
        February 6, 2014 at 12:41 am

I agree, Bob, Ervin becoming City Councilman will not stop the fighting and name calling because that’s outside of Ervin’s power.

What Ervin can do is foster an environment that embraces collaborative efforts.

There is no documentation that says Ervin believes everything either one of the Mayor’s believe. Which means he’s not in anyone’s back pocket.

The only documentation you have is he is willing to vote against anyone if:
        There is supporting evidence that the issue, he is voting on, is not good for the community. And by anyone, I mean anyone, up to and including the Mayor of either city.

The fact is, Ervin, sees the need for collaboration between the two cities. This shows not only intellect and insight but also foresight.

• Arthur Calloway II
          February 6, 2014 at 12:43 am

*There is supporting evidence that if the issue, he is voting on, is not good for the community. He will vote against it.

6. AV Observer
    February 3, 2014 at 8:51 pm

Heh, heh, heh. Nice to see Raymond running scared all over the blogs. The thought of an Ervin victory scares the day lights out of old’ Ray! He hasn’t been this scared since the days of his youth when he was selling stuff. Ervin on the Council would be the start of a great future for the AV. One step closer to no more Raymond. Heh, heh, heh.

February 4, 2014 at 5:23 pm

Selling stuff? LOL.

• sjgranai
        February 5, 2014 at 5:11 pm

7. William
    February 3, 2014 at 7:55 pm

Even though I live in Palmdale, I support Ervin.

However, I just don’t see how we can trust Parris to cooperate with Mayor Ledford honestly.

How many times has he shown his envy and disdain for our Mayor? He could begin by apologizing in public but I think he’d rather eat dirt.

8. marissa
    February 3, 2014 at 6:01 pm

I like Ledford, but he has this one wrong, big time. Ervin is a huckster, he needs to be run out of the AV, not elected. Worse things have happened, like Ron Smith. If they both get elected, you’d have the ebony and ivory version of scumbags up there.

• :(
      February 5, 2014 at 12:09 am

Let’s see……Ron ran when a gun was pulled in the court room he was paid to protect. Ervin served, was injured fighting our countries wars, and has gone back for more. In what twisted world does that add up to the same “ebony and ivory version of scumbags up there” marissa? If you know something I don’t, spit it out. Or are one of the local political machines bloggers, paid to post vague yet senseless attacks?

• Welp
        February 8, 2014 at 6:01 pm

You can tell when it’s one of Rex’s serial bloggers because they always criticize Rex’s opponents, but then say they don’t like Rex or Ron Smith. I guess they think it’s throwing people off of the scent or something strange like that.

• Stinger
          February 8, 2014 at 9:10 pm

That, and/or they start off an attack statement with the words: “Everybody knows…”

9. Dave S
    February 3, 2014 at 5:47 pm

Welp there goes any chance Ervin had of winning.

He went from “slim chance” to “no chance”.

• Letlow
      February 3, 2014 at 5:54 pm

Speak for yourself and your lone vote buddy! Mayor Ledford has thousands of supporters (myself included) that stretch across Palmdale to Lancaster. This is a huge boon to the Ervin campaign. And your comment cannot change that fact. Your Welp need be reserved for incumbents Smith and Crist.

• Stinger
        February 3, 2014 at 8:30 pm

Agreed! Getting Ervin elected would be a great salve to the many wounds Parris’ Lancaster has opened upon Palmdale. If we got more people like Ervin on the Council, we might even be able to truly work together without a cactus curtain anymore!

• Dave S
        February 3, 2014 at 11:06 pm

My comment is not in support of Smith, Crist, or anybody else.

But I stand by it. This calculation by Ervin, to publicly attach himself to Ledford, is a bad one. It will hurt him more than help him in a Lancaster election.

• Stinger
          February 4, 2014 at 1:55 am

I believe that you are incorrect, Dave. I believe that the citizens of Lancaster are getting tired of the same old drama perpetrated by Parris and Company and actually want elected officials of the two cities to get along. Parris knows this and has unsuccessfully tried to cast himself the victim to deflect scrutiny against his clearly UNfriendly actions against the City and elected officials of Palmdale.

Also, if you compare public reactions to the two mayors’ brief medical sojourns a couple of years back, the evidence is fairly conclusive that Ledford enjoys a solid positive public opinion in Palmdale AND in Lancaster.

There is more, but you get the picture.

• Welp
          February 8, 2014 at 5:59 pm

Welp, it seems that you live in the same echo chamber as Rex Parris. You and he seem to be under the same delusion that everybody hates Jim Ledford. The poll numbers indicate differently. Just look at how much cash Rex Parris has to spend every year to get elected. The man is in for about $1million dollars. It’s a good thing he’s got that law office or he’d go broke trying to keep himself in office!

• Austin
      February 3, 2014 at 9:10 pm

I do concur! This Ervin guy is shady as hell. He sued the city the last time he lost. Up in Kern county he was asked to step aside or have a investigation that wouldn’t have worked out to well for him. Then on other hand if he does get in Lancaster it will be like throwing him to the sharks!

• Austin
        February 3, 2014 at 9:14 pm

Everybody loves a feeding frenzy!

• Dave S
        February 3, 2014 at 11:07 pm

I don’t concur. I’m not commenting on the merits of Ervin. I’m simply saying that ANY candidate running in Lancaster makes a mistake to attach himself to Ledford.