Lancaster councilman injured in weekend traffic crash

Ron Smith

Ron Smith

LANCASTER  – Lancaster City Councilman Ron Smith was injured in a traffic collision late Saturday afternoon, city officials said in a statement.

According to the statement, Smith and his son Matt were en route to a family event, when they were hit by a pickup truck. Smith was immediately transported to UC Irvine Medical trauma center, where a MRI later revealed back and neck injuries.

Smith underwent neck surgery at UCI this morning (Jan. 6). Although not considered an emergency, the procedure was deemed urgent to prevent future complications.

Smith is in good spirits and is expected to make a full recovery in six to eight weeks, according to Lancaster city officials.

“Ron has served the City of Lancaster with distinction for quite a number of years,” Lancaster Mayor R. Rex Parris said in a city news release. “We all wish him a full and speedy recovery, and look forward to having him rejoin us on the City Council as soon as possible.”

14 comments for “Lancaster councilman injured in weekend traffic crash

1. Oscar Mejia
    January 28, 2014 at 3:37 pm

I wish you a speedy recovery.

Oscar Mejia
    Lancaster City Council Candidate

2. AVC Student
    January 8, 2014 at 7:17 pm

OMG, get well soon Professor Smith. I’m am still enrolled in your class for the SPRING 2014! Hope to see you then. (BTW, whether or not he is a “good” politician he is the best professor that I have taken, yet).

3. Janice
    January 8, 2014 at 6:45 am

I accidently found this page. I do not know this gentlemen that well. Met him a few times at business events. However the hatred and beating a guy when he’s down is discusting. Don’t be haters even if your politics differ. Honestly sickening how there is such hatred for people who don’t look or think the same. Very sad. Get well soon Mr Smith. Said a prayer for you this morning!

4. AV Town Crier
    January 7, 2014 at 1:24 pm

As much as I, too, dislike him for his politics, etc. I hope he gets better soon. I wish him well in his recovery.

5. BeenAround
    January 6, 2014 at 9:58 pm

Hey Ron, I know a good personal injury lawyer. Let me know and I’ll get you his number. But first, have your law enforcement buddies get charges pressed. That will look great in front of the jury. You know how it works though, I’m sure.

• Dixie
      January 7, 2014 at 4:12 pm

I would really love to know how many families in the AV have suffered because of this very thing. I am quite sure the number is staggering.

• BeenAround
        January 7, 2014 at 11:48 pm

Ron and Rex are adored and adulated by many (especially their law enforcement cronies and their buddies over at Lancaster Baptist). But the sad truth is, they are sad, evil, excuses for men. Oh, but they’re Christians! So how could my accusations be true? Because cash is involved. Just watch and see how this plays out.

• Dixie
          January 8, 2014 at 8:12 am

I know for a fact what you say is true. It is criminal what some of those guys are doing and getting away with, but they are apparently above reproach because of their positions. There is no power suit to hide behind when going before God.

• Dixie
            January 8, 2014 at 8:16 am

As far as Ron’s accident and injuries… I wish him the best and a speedy recovery.

6. AV Folk
    January 6, 2014 at 8:06 pm

Is he the one that got causght for DUI?

• Jay
      January 8, 2014 at 2:03 am

That would be Crist. The head honcho for the RepParty out here

• ***
        January 8, 2014 at 2:15 am

No you’re thinking of Drew Mercy. Runner’s senior adviser. Never heard of a Crist arrest.

7. Stinger
    January 6, 2014 at 6:21 pm

I’m no fan of Ron’s, but I certainly wouldn’t wish such an injury upon him. Besides, politically beatin’ up on a guy who’s in the hospital ain’t no fun. ;-)

Get well soon Ron.

8. James Stouvenel
    January 6, 2014 at 5:15 pm

Sending prayers out his him and his family for a quick recovery,
    I know a lot of people don’t like Ron, but let’s be thoughtful on this accident, it could happen to any of us. heal quick Ron.