2 injured in head-on collision

The crash sent both vehicles airborne, according to CHP Sgt. John Williams. (Photo by LUIS MEZA)

PALMDALE – Two drivers suffered critical injuries and had to be extricated from their vehicles following a head-on collision on Pearblossom Highway, authorities said.

The collision happened around 6 a.m., Monday (Dec. 23) on Pearblossom Highway, just east of Small Road.

Elizabeth Salguero was driving a 1998 Toyota eastbound on Pearblossom Highway at an unknown speed, while Juan Gonzalez was driving a 2004 Chevy westbound on Pearblossom Highway at an estimated speed of 35-45 miles per hour, according to a California Highway Patrol report.

The crash happened on on Pearblossom Highway, east of Small Road. (Photo by LUIS MEZA)

“For reasons unknown, Elizabeth allowed her vehicle to cross over the solid double yellow line and enter the westbound lanes directly into the path of Juan Gonzales. Unfortunately, Elizabeth’s vehicle continued eastbound where it [hit] Juan Gonzalez’s vehicle head on,” states the CHP report.

“Both vehicles went airborne and pivoted in a semi-circle and landed…” said CHP Sgt. John Williams. “Both drivers of both vehicles sustained major injuries, and the cause of this collision is still under investigation.”

Elizabeth Salguero, 25, of Palmdale and Juan Gonzalez, 42, of Los Angeles were extricated from their vehicles by Fire Department personnel and airlifted to Antelope Valley Hospital.

51 comments for “2 injured in head-on collision

1. anonymous poster
    December 29, 2013 at 8:54 am

the man injured in this car accident is not dead. the person who posted the comment about this person dying is a troller. i work at the hospital and he is still alive. i was saddened to read this comment but relieved when i got to work yesterday night and saw he was still alive.

• Derrick
      December 29, 2013 at 2:51 pm

Thanks A/P for that update on this gentleman I don’t why that jerk would say that

• A
      December 29, 2013 at 5:54 pm

Thanks AP for the update. Do you know how Elizabeth is doing?

2. Randy
    December 27, 2013 at 8:37 am

His my uncle, he passed away. You guys can’t say anything negative about it now. Just leave this aside and pray for my family. This is ridiculous for people to act like if they know what happened.!

• stacy
      December 27, 2013 at 1:04 pm

I am so sorry for your loss Randy…my heart goes out to the families of both drivers. My prayers are with all concerned. God Bless.

• Concerned
      December 27, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Oh my goodness not the news I wanted to hear. I was at the hospital on the 23rd because my son was having knee surgery. I spoke to Mr Gonzalez’ wife she was obviously so upset and distracted, I tried to help out the best I could to help her out. This breaks my heart to hear he passed away. My prayers go out to her and the entire family.

• anonymous poster
      December 28, 2013 at 7:31 am

i’m not sure if he really died / he seemed pretty stable to me, since i work at the hospital / i cannot discuss further because i would be in violation of privacy, but i hope this is just some troller because mr gonzalez is innocent and doesn’t deserve to die. elizabeth is not doing too well either. this is not about blame now. this is about two people who are fighting to live.

December 28, 2013 at 11:29 am

• anonymous poster
      December 29, 2013 at 8:55 am

you’re a liar, he’s still alive.

December 29, 2013 at 11:18 am

3. BillyD
    December 26, 2013 at 8:46 pm

Pray for quick recovery my prays are with her

4. Someone
    December 25, 2013 at 6:50 pm

You people should be worried about the individuals health involved in this accident and not the petty details of how it happened! Salguero is currently fighting for her life. She is also a mother to a beautiful little girl, who needs her. It’s unfortunate this happened, especially during Christmas, my prayers are with both people and their families.

5. The spotter
    December 25, 2013 at 3:47 pm

It would be smart if they would put street lights here… I read several story’s here of them crashing they need to improve on some street lights… Even if the crash was 6am still a lil dark

6. chris salguero
    December 25, 2013 at 2:55 pm

Thats my cuzin u [removed] shes almost dead and all u can do is blame?i pray to God shes ok.

• TT
      January 24, 2014 at 12:13 am

los borrachos no deben manejar.

7. Luis Guzman
    December 25, 2013 at 1:05 pm

The city should put a Center Divider on that piece of road, there’s been more accidents in that stretch.

• Les
      December 29, 2013 at 7:29 pm

Luis- It’s a State Hwy that the city has no authority or control over. I’ve been driving that stretch twice a day for almost 20 years and this is the first such accident in or around that location that I am aware of.
      To “The Spotter” how would a light have prevented this accident? She crossed over into oncoming traffic.

8. Stephanie
    December 25, 2013 at 10:33 am

They call it an ACCIDENT for a reason. Whats wrong with you blame casters? This is a life changing event even if they hopefully survive. Pray for them, not blame them, especially because this doesn’t affect most of you personally There’s enough of that hateful mess in the world already.

9. soapbox journal
    December 24, 2013 at 9:24 pm

It is an accident, it is up to the CHP to determine fault, not us. God bless the victims and their families

10. Derrick
    December 24, 2013 at 8:01 pm

That’s why I drive in that far right lane on this hwy because I remember one time a car had a blow out and it drifted into the on coming traffic good thing no cars were coming

11. Gail Ostman
    December 24, 2013 at 5:46 pm

FYI the semi’s who drive down Pearblossom Hwy. are typically going to fast to stop at the traffic lights. They often blow right through their red light and right into the path of cars entering the Hwy. on a green light. Be careful whenever you cross Pearblossom between Sierra Hwy and the 138.

• Bob
      December 24, 2013 at 7:13 pm

This is common across the whole Antelope Valley.

Semis blow through stops way too regularly, and they know they are less likely to be ticketed, especially by the CHP, because of the paper work that has to be checked by the CHP officers.

The CHP needs to step up their game on stop sign/light running semis, or red light runners. I see at least three a day regularly when I am in the AV.

• Bob
        December 25, 2013 at 12:25 am

Incorrect, Bob.

• Eric
      December 26, 2013 at 9:36 am

Really? I drive this road, every morning, to get to work. I have never, once, seen a semi blown through the lights in any direction. The closest thing I saw was a semi coming off the 14 pull in front of a cement truck, forcing the cement truck to whip around. Its the idiots who are trying to rush by every vehicle to get to the front of the pack who cause incidents and make it unsafe for all other drivers.

12. chillaxin
    December 24, 2013 at 4:51 pm

That time of the morning I’m betting driving into the sun had something to do with it. Terrible in any case.

• Bob
      December 24, 2013 at 7:17 pm

Sunrise is 6:56 am so I do not see how that is possible. I hate people always blaming the sun for accidents in the AV.

• Rooney
        December 24, 2013 at 9:39 pm

Did you get up on the wrong side of the bed, Bob?

• Chillaxin
        December 25, 2013 at 2:20 pm

I drove quartz Hill to Hesperia every day for a year. Sun comes up over the flat desert horizon and renders visors useless. Can be a real issue. For what it’s worth I hate people that have there head in the general vicinity of there butt. Have a good day sir.

13. GLR
    December 24, 2013 at 3:01 pm

At this point it doesn’t not matter how it happened!! It happened! leave the negative BS out and just Pray. A friend passed away a few years ago and it was his birthday on this same day on the same damn street.. ALLL WE CAN DO IS PRAY and HOPE that GOD is with her. JUST PRAY. Liz and Juan your in our prayers.

• love tang
      December 24, 2013 at 4:26 pm

14. concerned parent
    December 24, 2013 at 1:53 pm

How sad another tragic crash on that highway! Hopefully both of the drivers and families are ok! Happy Holidays!!!

15. New Man
    December 24, 2013 at 1:01 pm

I was there when it happened. I felt so helpless they were both so badly trapped and very little we could do to help. It was upsetting that during this Christmas season that people were more worried about getting through the accident scene to where they needed to be as two people were fighting for thier lives. To those of you on here that want to sit and judge who made you God. I pray for both victims and their families that God brings peace and healing to their bodies and heart. We should all be praying for each other instead of throwing stones. Love you all and God bless and remember the true meaning of Christmas

• Rooney
      December 24, 2013 at 9:42 pm

16. estrella
    December 24, 2013 at 11:32 am

that’s sad .. people need to pay attention to the road when they are driving.. no one knows why they crashed but dear lord that gray car… it’s amazing the guy survived .. :( hope they both recover soon from there injuries ..

17. Palmdale Resident
    December 24, 2013 at 11:25 am

I bet Salguero was texting and speeding. This is ridiculous and I feel terrible for Mr. Gonzalez. Thankfully he survived and will hopefully recover from his injuries.

• Jimmy Echeverria
      December 24, 2013 at 11:34 am

You should work for CHP looks like you know all the details without being there idiot!

• Cici
        December 24, 2013 at 12:46 pm

• Jonathan
          December 25, 2013 at 1:48 am

Obviously you’re an idiot and have a lot of guilt for texting and driving! The person behind the wheel could have suffered a heart attack, stroke, seizure or an asthma attack… You should get a job at a news agency since you like making headlines without knowing the unknown.

• Bruno
      December 24, 2013 at 11:43 am

Love it when people are quick to blame without knowing all the facts… People please!

• Chris
      December 24, 2013 at 12:49 pm

I don’t know if she was texting sleeping or what but it does clearly say Salguero drove on the wrong side of the road you don’t need to be CHP to see she was in the wrong and Gonzalez was the victim.

• Jimmy
        December 24, 2013 at 8:19 pm

Chris u should solve the case since your so sure that salguero was at fault looser people are fighting for there life’s it’s an accident

• Basement Cat
      December 24, 2013 at 3:27 pm

I feel sorry for both of them and their families. I hope both live and are able to recover as well as they can after such a horrible accident.

We don’t know what happened. Maybe she was texting. Maybe she fell asleep. Maybe she had a medical emergency or something happened that made it hard for her to see. Why are people so quick to make judgments.

• wytch
        December 24, 2013 at 5:46 pm

Because many people are mean spirited, judgmental a@@hats.

• sadtosay
      December 26, 2013 at 5:08 pm

Palmdale resident, I was thinking the exact same thing. Hope I am wrong but I see way to much of this all day, everyday.. it sickens me to see people paying more attention to their texts then lives coming at them on the road. I will give her the benefit of the doubt for now.. hope they recover.

• Liz's friend
      December 27, 2013 at 2:05 am

You got some nerve! She’s on a hospital bed fighting for her life and your gonna make some dumb assumption that she was texting and speeding? FYI, she’s a dear friend of mine and she’s not known to do either! So get a life and have some damn respect!!!

• Sra G
        January 17, 2014 at 8:06 pm

Creo que no estaba textiando pero si estaba muy borracha eso esta en el reporte medico y de la policia,es una pezte que arruino ha una familia complete y no tiene la decencia de ser rresponsable por una ves en su desgraciada vida.

• Citizen
          January 19, 2014 at 9:54 am

Fallecio el Sr. Gonzalez?

• Sra G
            January 20, 2014 at 2:30 am

Para tranquilidad de la familia y para la desgracia de los Salgueros te dire que no fallecio gracias ha Dios ya que el es una persona decente y entregado ha su familia y no como la borracha de Salguero que en lugar de estar con su hija andaba de borracha como cualquier pelusa sin moral vieja cochina y criminal hojala se levante pronto para que pague su crimen y lo siento por su hijita que su madre no la quiere pues no penso en su hija por eso se convirtio en criminal y lo peor es que su familia aprueba lo que hiso por eso la defienden y todos son familia de pelusas.

• omg
        January 17, 2014 at 8:35 pm

[removed] your stupid dear friend was drunk ok. and she is the one to blame for all. cause mr.gonzalez was having a perfectly fine day until that [removed] of your friend appeared.