Tipster helps catch burglary suspect

Deputies contained the neighborhood  near 15th Street East and Avenue K in Lancaster Monday as they pursued a burglary suspect. (Photo courtesy LASD)

Deputies contained the neighborhood near 15th Street East and Avenue K in Lancaster Monday as they pursued a burglary suspect. (Photo courtesy LASD)

LANCASTER – A suspected thief was arrested shortly after a home break-in Monday, thanks to a quick-thinking bystander who reported suspicious activity, authorities said.

The incident happened around 11 a.m. at a residence on the 1300 Block Geraldine Avenue, according to Lancaster Community Relations deputy Miguel T. Ruiz.

“We had an anonymous informant that called saying they saw someone breaking into a home,” Ruiz said.

When deputies responded, the suspect was running away, Ruiz said.

“He tried to evade deputies by running through back yards near the area,” Ruiz said.

Within 30 minutes, the suspect was apprehended near Jennifer Lane and Avenue K-4.

“He attempted to try and hide the stolen items…” Ruiz said.  “Jewelry and electronic devices were recovered, and the victim confirmed those items as belonging to the residence.”

Theodore Miller, 18, was arrested on suspicion of burglary, Ruiz said. Miller was jailed in lieu of $50,000 bail and is scheduled to appear in court Wednesday, according to LASD inmate records.

12 comments for “Tipster helps catch burglary suspect

1. gemini
    December 10, 2013 at 2:58 pm

Please read the CASTLE DOCTRINE before doing anything. You may feel you can shoot but a jury will decide.

December 10, 2013 at 11:51 pm

Could you please clarify your comment? Thanks.

• Jt
      December 12, 2013 at 7:41 am

Many self defense issues never even get to the jury process! once the initial investigation is done, it is then determined if charges are to be filed! so in most case’s the jury will never have to decide! either way I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6! Simple laws of survival! after 23 years of law enforcement I never had a incident where a person in there own home legitimately defending themselves ended up in front of a jury for a criminal case! facts are the facts! no matter what a doctrine says, it is ultimately up to the DA in each of the situations to determine if it was self defense or not! long before the jury! This does not get one of the hook for civil suites etc. but typically if your cleared legally even though you go through the motions in civil court chances are in your favor most civil wrongful death cases do not even get there based on the criminal outcome! So as we each must do what we must again I will always take my chance in a court room than play the victim!

2. Lydia~
    December 10, 2013 at 12:58 pm

3. Justice
    December 9, 2013 at 7:10 pm

Trust and believe if someone tries to break into my house, I will shoot you and ask questions later! My family’s safety will always be my number one priority and anybody that thinks the material things are more important than their lives, good luck because I will be armed and ready for you!

• Tori
      December 9, 2013 at 9:05 pm

Don’t forget to put out a throw down gun. This is California and you will be going to jail if their unarmed.

December 9, 2013 at 9:32 pm

If someone breaks into your home and you are in fear for your life,not so.

• Jt
        December 10, 2013 at 5:53 am

Could not be more wrong! 3 requirements to shoot someone and in my home they will be met!
        1. ability = they have any kind of weapon or close to something in my home that is/can be used as a weapon (up to and including there hands or multiple suspects) that causes me to fear for my life or the life/safety of my family
        2. opportunity = they are in my home
        3. intent any kind of movement words etc to do/cause great harm or death!
        Trust me it is not hard to justify any of these criteria if the time comes! any law abiding gun owner knows this!!
        So yeah come on in bad guys! you will not leave the same way! trust me not if I am home!

• Pauly
        December 10, 2013 at 9:20 am

[removed] Why don’t you make them breakfast to as they break into your house.

Someone breaks in, your not going to ask if they are armed. They will be shot on site.

• Jt
          December 10, 2013 at 12:51 pm

Think you misunderstood what I was trying to say there? I was not going to ask if they were armed or not etc! Was trying to explain the law for protecting oneself/loved ones to the gun grabbing people on the site, since he was so misinformed on the actual laws and how it is! they break in they automatically meet all the requirements to get shot period! Then I will make my own breakfast while I wait for the cops and the coroner!

• Pauly