Former student leader concerned about “transphobic reaction”

By former Lancaster Youth Commission Chairman Anthony Barros

Barros at his post as Chairman of the City of Lancaster Youth Commission.

Barros at his post as Chairman of the City of Lancaster Youth Commission.

My name is Anthony Barros and I was the ASB President and Senior Class President at Antelope Valley High School last year as well as the 2012-2013 Student Board Member for the AVUHSD Board of Trustees. I was not only involved at school, but I was also Mayor of the City of Lancaster Youth in Government Program and Chairman of the City of Lancaster Youth Commission. Needless to say, I was extensively involved with my school and community within the Antelope Valley.

As an openly gay student, I had many obstacles in reaching these leadership positions, but I still managed to overcome them to have my voice heard. I was the founder of the Gay Straight Alliance at my school and a board member for The Outreach Center in the Antelope Valley. While Prop 8 was deliberated at the Supreme Court, CNN came out to the Antelope Valley to do a cover story of my life in the Antelope Valley and why the freedom to marry was important to me. I continued my leadership on the Statewide Advocacy Council with the Gay Straight Alliance Network in Sacramento advocating for bills like Seth’s Law (SB 9) and of course The School Success and Opportunity Act (AB 1266).

The School Success and Opportunity Act ensures that schools understand their responsibility for the success and well-being of all students, including transgender students, and will allow transgender students to fully participate in all school activities, programs, and facilities. Transgender students have been unfairly excluded from physical education, athletic teams, and other school activities and facilities. This hinders their opportunity to succeed in school and graduate with their class.

As the MC of the Press Conference for AB 1266 at the Capitol in Sacramento, I had the privilege of introducing Assemblymember Tom Ammiano (Author of AB1266), as well as, many of my transgender friends, who spoke about the importance of this bill for all students statewide.

I am concerned by the ignorant and transphobic reaction of educators in my hometown to AB 1266. It is important to hold our teachers, counselors, administrators, and board members accountable for their professional responsibility to protect all students in our schools, regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity, as stated by California law.

I am especially hurt and disappointed in the administration of Antelope Valley High School for hosting a press conference on Tuesday September 24th to call for the repeal of AB 1266. As a student at UC Berkeley with 2 full-ride scholarships, I hope to one day re-gain a sense of pride in my roots that start in the Antelope Valley.

Disclaimer: The views expressed in this article are the author’s own and do not necessarily reflect the views of The AV Times.

Email to submit a story to Your Issues | Your News.

Previous related stories:

Local officials push effort to repeal transgender student law

Teacher: “Courage is doing what is right for children”

Reader: “Our only solution is erudition, not cowardice”

57 comments for “Former student leader concerned about “transphobic reaction”

1. Maria paesano
    January 21, 2014 at 5:10 am

Why is my comment still awaiting moderation? And on another post too. And one completely disappeared!!!!

• Forewarned
      January 21, 2014 at 7:20 am

That’s because this site doesn’t care about your First Amendment rights and why I don’t post much on here anymore. This site only let’s you see what it chooses you to see. Welcome to the USSA.

2. January 19, 2014 at 11:29 pm

Here are 20 + Myths about AB 1266

It really is about 14th Amendment rights………..guaranteed to all.

3. Jenny
    October 1, 2013 at 11:16 am

Mr Barros you are a remarkable young man and courageous leader. Thank you for this articulate, passionate letter- I too was extremely disappointed to see the aforementioned press conference as well as the names and pictures of our community leaders who were in attendance. If you continue on this trajectory I am sure we will see you become a national leader on LGBTQ issues. As a graduate of Quartz Hill High School and current resident of Lancaster, I am one AV resident who supports you and bill AB 1266. Best of luck to you in your education; I am proud you are from our community!

4. seen some stuff
    October 1, 2013 at 8:26 am

I think transgender kids should use the health office restroom. This would keep them safe as well as protect the privacy of other students who are uncomfortable. I have heard of a male student presenting as female who was seriously beaten by female students when they discovered the truth. I have also seen a female student presenting as male who was caught smoking pot in the boys room with male students. In some places it is entirely possible assaults and even rapes can occur in the bathrooms of public schools.
    The population of transgender students is so small that simply allowing them to use the health office seems like a good answer.

• Roger
      October 1, 2013 at 11:53 am

correct! that is the best option, better yet, have an additional bathroom behind for TrensGenders

• Just Asking
      October 2, 2013 at 12:13 am

Of course it possible that assaults and rapes can happen in any bathroom, anytime and any place. Rape isn’t always about sex, it’s about control.
      Sad day when girls beat someone up…period! Their parents must have been so proud.
      Was the pot smoking story an issue about the transgender girl or about the kids being caught smoking weed in the bathroom? Probably lucky they weren’t doing heroin.
      Do you think the boys who got arrested at Roosevelt High School today for sexual assault did it in a bathroom or that it had anything to do with a transgender student. NO
      If kids are going to have sex in the bathroom, they have a lookout person. Same with weed smokers.
      With all the different schedules the schools have these days, I’d be surprised that many students in high school even use the school facilities.

5. I've seen it all
    September 29, 2013 at 3:20 pm

As expected, everyone who doesn’t agree with AB1266 is called ignorant or homophobe! What a shock!

How about Mother Nature made Man & Woman. Each has acted a certain way for millions of years. Just bcuz a few have it in their minds to act the opposite of Mother Nature’s intentions, doesn’t mean we need to create laws to protect them. A man who thinks its ok to marry & have sex with 12 yr olds, also doesn’t think within what we perceive as normal behavior. Thats even practiced in some societies around the world today. So where do we draw the line at NORMAL behavior?

We already have laws in place regarding restroom use. Under 6yrs, can go in with their parent to their opposite bathroom. The easiest fix is to have single use/person bathrooms on all campus’ s and no need to try to legislate the heck out of everything.

My guess would be Mother Nature intended you to be male or female. A defect occurred and released to much of the opposite hormone since day one. In 50-100 yrs, we’ll probably be able to correct that so you feel in accordance with your assigned gender as Mother Nature intended.

• fed up
      September 30, 2013 at 9:59 am

What happened to going to school to learn something? I don’t think exploiting one’s sexual preferences is appropriate. Somebody straighten these kids out and remind them what the actual point of the education system is….

6. Maria paesano
    September 29, 2013 at 6:54 am

All of you who think that this is an issue of being sensitive to the issues of bisexual, transgender people PLEASE LOOK AT THIS LATEST NEWS ARTICLE look for Lutheran Church of Carson School child sex case
    Also PLEASE read all of my comments on this page for more information about the real purpose for passage of this ( OPPORTUNITY ) Act!

7. Maria paesano
    September 29, 2013 at 5:35 am

Please anyone interested in this subject and what is happening to YOUR CHILDREN AT SCHOOL read my post / comment here under
    The AvTimes Staff Comment

And to you Av Times . Thank you for printing MY LATEST comments/ posts. It would be wise to do so because all of this manipulation, fraud and attack on citizens ( especially children) of the US by our own government ( and through and with many countries around the world -treaties ) will all be revealed very shortly.

8. ConceredMother
    September 28, 2013 at 9:33 am

Bravo for being the voice of other teens like you. I think what you are doing is great. I wish all young adults and teens just like you to live wonderful full lives being exactly who they want to be!! I have a lot of respect for someone so young to be so brave!

9. M
    September 28, 2013 at 9:13 am

Great Job, Anthony!! Love and tolerance will prevail because of kids like you!! Good luck at UC Berkeley.

10. wow
    September 28, 2013 at 8:07 am

so.. If I am against AB 1266 and don’t want my 13 year old daughter sharing a bathroom with someone who might be a sexual deviant and who might cause her to have to consider things that I don’t even want her to have to think about at that age, then I am not allowed to post that opinion?

How can one have an opinion on this issue without having to make negative generalizations about whole groups of people?

Wait, let me try…. Ok so… I am sure that people with gender identity issues are all really wonderful people but I am concerned that perhaps a small handful of them might not be so wonderful and might take advantage of AB 1266 and claim to be a different gender just so they can sit in the stall next to my daughter and do something disgusting.

Ok so, did that break any rules?

• ConcernedMother
      September 28, 2013 at 9:30 am

Are you kidding me? Sexual deviant? These teens are figuring out who they are. I don’t care if you are born a boy or a girl. Some of those kids feel like the other, being born in the wrong skin. But to call them that is just ignorant! They want to live their life as they discover it not mess with your 13 year old child! Instead of hiding such things from what I assume you think is your perfect child maybe educate them on the differences of people.

11. Censored
    September 27, 2013 at 3:13 pm

I am curious… Could the reason gender dysphoria disturbs people be the worry of “accidentally” finding yourself attracted to someone born a different gender than they present themselves?

• PD
      September 27, 2013 at 3:25 pm

No it is not the reason. It is more like natural selection along the lines of using common since.

12. PD
    September 27, 2013 at 2:30 pm

I identify myself as a female even though I have a penis. I believe that the school district should allow me to play on the female athletic teams as well as use the female locker room. By denying me the ability to do this you are denying me the ability to be me. er.. or who I want to be..or I mean, who I am attracted to. damn… ah screw it… I just want to be in their locker room to see some private parts and snap a few pictures.

13. Ruth
    September 27, 2013 at 11:29 am

Congratulations on your accomplishments thus far.
    I have read the responses to your article, but I failed to follow the leap that some people made from the rights of all students ( even LGBTQ students) to pedophiles in bathrooms. Did I miss something? Weren’t you focusing on students’ access to gender specific sports and programs during transition? As a GSA advisor, I never cease to be amazed at the barriers and ignorance my students face and how graciously so many of them cope.

• PD
      September 27, 2013 at 2:59 pm

All students face barriers not just your LGBTQ students. Don’t be naive. The overweight student faces barriers, the student who matures late (physically) faces barriers, the short student faces barriers, the quite student faces barriers, the overzealous student faces barriers, geniuses face barriers etc.
      Overcoming these barriers is a part of the maturation process. It helps humans overcome tougher life challenges along the way. We cannot start catering to ever one’s personal barriers. Make your own choices yes, but do not expect society to form around them.

• Robert B.
        September 27, 2013 at 3:37 pm

I don’t think Ruth is being naive. While many students do experience some form of bullying, those who are and are perceived to be LGBTQ experience as much as three and a half times as more harassment.

• Maria paesano
        September 29, 2013 at 6:41 am

Very well said. So what do you think the real purpose is? Please read all comments under this topic that I have posted. Would love to hear your thoughts

14. Henry
    September 27, 2013 at 9:07 am

More power to the transgender youths in our schools, but I just want something in place to not only protect them but protect the other students from those bad apples that will use this law to commit crimes. I’m worried about those few students that would take advantage of this. Those bad apples would just make people be more intolerate to the transgender community. This law can be a great step to equal rights for everyone, but it just needs something in place to protect everyone.

• For Real
      September 27, 2013 at 9:17 am

Henry the gay people have been using the same restrooms for ever i dont think they need to chnage this why is a Girl who is gay going to pee stading up or a boy who thinks hes a girl going to sit and pee please. lets do this we add another gender room Boys – Girls- Gay see you would see that as discriminatory but they want to be treated equal i think thats the best choice no one left out

• Quigley
      September 27, 2013 at 10:16 am

Several establishments have signs posted that have a cute little picture of a girl in a dress and a boy in pants…let the individual decide which restroom to use and no one will have to know a damn thing about their gender.However, this will cost taxpayers money to build separate lavatory quads.

15. I feel GAy
    September 27, 2013 at 9:01 am

OK NOW I FEEL GAY theres some hot looking ladys at me work that i want to share the chage rooms and showers with so lets be fair and aply this law to all i might ask one to help me out with me confussion….how would they know im not Gay. sound kool.
    OK REALITY why do we have change for gay kids i have no problem they can be gay but dont try to change the whole community just for you guys or gays i went to the mall the other day with my 5 year son and there where this two young ladys like 13 i would say walking grabbing kissing almost getting down and dirty in front off all people. come on that is just bull*** thats when i have a problem with gay people im not saying it would be right for astraight couple to do that but it looks worse with same s** espesially for lil kids they now grow up thinking its ok to have a boyfriend and a girlfriend to many TV shows they shouldnt see this world or country is all F**** ** and there are people trying to make it worse so no i say we dont need to change rules for them when did this take place why dint i vote on it who dicided for me.we have to much alredy to worrie about drugs gangs that is where the laws should be looking to fix better programs to get kids not to be involved in those activities but no they worrie about getting kids in opposite bathroom how funny and dumb. but once again who cares is the AV as the people in hight seats thinks its full of illiterate people that dont have a voice or vote only the money talks lets see how this goes down.

16. Maria paesano
    September 27, 2013 at 3:41 am

ANYONE who thinks this is a “good idea” must be out of their mind. Why is it no one cares about the rights of children who are not ” transgender, transsexual, bisexual, CONFUSED , ect and do not want to be or should not be forced to share a restroom ( a place where privacy is extremely important ) with. Anthony, you can try all you like to convince me and the people who read your ridiculous claim that these students ideas and actions will not affect ” straight” children all you like, but IT IS A LIE. I was a kid once myself, and I have 3 children of my own who have had our own experiences and stories to tell. I am also a school teacher having observed and listen to the stories of probably hundreds of children ranging in age from kindergarten to 12 grade. I also am acquainted with many adults who are bisexual and, believe me many of them have some pretty disturbing stries to tell as to how or why they are bisexual today most of which stem from sexual abuse problems in childhood. Yet, most of these people would like it if their were more people like them to make them feel less ” different” . and because it has become so ” acceptable” today, believe me, tgey love to talk about their sexuality every chance they get . Young children ( well actually all children as well as teens ) are very curious, vulnerable and and even confused about their feelings pertaining to sexual orientation and issues as it is without having others confuse them more about their sexual feelings and issues. Also shame on the school districts for allowing distribution and even assemblies ( with graffic video ) that explains and shows bisexual acts IN DETAIL ( including how to give oral sex )EVEN TO KINDERGARDENERS! And to parents who are getting this info for the first time, believe me it is true. And the school district never even sent notices to the parents for permission. If I had not been a teacher at the time I probably wouldn’t have known the extent of this plan to corrupt the thoughts and feelings of innocent, vulnerable children was actually going on AND IN OUR SCHOOLS AS A MEANS TO TEACH AND CORRUPT either! What’s worse is the teachers and parents who spoke out at board meetings were reprimanded or FIRED! What’s worse is the principle at the time is now superintendent of a large school district right here in our town . So I guess sexual exploitation gets promotion huh? I’m sorry Anthony but you are PROMOTING THIS AGENDA ONLY AS A MEANS TO JUSTIFY TOUR OWN ACTIONS AND DESIRES. YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM NOT THE SOLUTION about issues concerning bisexuality, transgenderality, sexual abuse and exploitation. By the way, there is a court case going on right now where a school ( church based even ) where children IN KINDERGARDEN had been found to be performing sexual acts on each other in unlocked, unsupervised bathrooms, and at nap time where teachers knew but had NOT REPORTED OR TRIED TO STOP its happening, many times to many children. It was ALLOWED to happen INTENTIONALLY! So now all of you who claim that it’s “the right, tolerant, open- minded thing to do say what now? I can only hope that intelligent, outraged people respond to this post.

• Ruth
      September 27, 2013 at 11:14 am

It concerns me that you are a teacher with such a closed mind

• geez
        September 27, 2013 at 7:40 pm

I thought that all made perfect sense – we live in a very dangerous world with many perverts, sexual deviants and weirdos and I am not comfortable with my 13 year old daughter sharing a bathroom with a male who has sexual problems – yes I have sympathy for the plight of anyone who feels like a female trapped in a male body, but can’t you just use the mens room till you are out of school so the rest of us don’t have to wonder if you are a pervert or not? Anthony Barros is gay – does he get to use the female bathroom too?? no. And neither should anyone born a man, period.

• ***
      September 28, 2013 at 1:15 am

Oh for crying out loud! “shows bisexual acts IN DETAIL ( including how to give oral sex )EVEN TO KINDERGARDENERS!” WTH? Where do you crazies come from? Your lack of proper grammar and spelling alone prove you have never been a teacher. (Or we have bigger problems than unisex bathrooms). You can’t even spell kindergarten. Yet we’re supposed to believe there are schools playing porno movies to 5 year old’s? Not sure which school you’re talking about, but I have a feeling it only exists in your mind. By the way, bisexual isn’t transgender. Can you even grasp that fact?

Your claims of a church based school allowing and encouraging young children to perform sex acts on each other sounds like a twisted fantasy. (When church schools have sexual incidents with YOUNG kids, 96% of the time it involves adults) God help us if you are allowed anywhere near kids. You are probably mistaking walking in on 2 baby’s curiosity, looking down each other’s panties, with some nefarious sexual actions. Comparing kids needing to learn about boundaries (as in “we don’t look under little Jane’s dress”) with full sexual intercourse. I’m always amazed at the sexually hysterical people in this valley indulge in.

• Maria paesano
        September 29, 2013 at 6:47 am

Oh no you again? The one who is so eager to discredit any truthful words that you can’t even use your real name? YES IT IS A FACT. GO TO It happened at the Lutheran church of Carson School. I’m waiting for your reply

17. JonnyBoBonny
    September 26, 2013 at 11:34 pm

Unfortunately in todays society the new popular word is tolerance. But the tolerance these people talk about is only tolerant of people who agree with their point of view, and if your opinion differs you are labeled ignorant, homophobe, or just a downright meanie. Forget common sense like anatomy to determine a bathroom, we want to alienate 95% of your children in order to not alienate 5%. I find it hard to believe kids are standing at the doors of restrooms asking kids who they gender identify with before harrassing them. Yet it is quite possible for these kids to be singled out by other kids saying why is that boy/girl using that restroom and for bullying to occur. This bill does nothing to counsel or help children who are having gender identity issues who may encounter real bullying and or coping issues which would in the long run help these children out more than just here’s the right to use whatever bathroom you feel like no questions asked and no help/counseling/support required. Also why are only those for the bill getting articles published is no one opposed willing to speak?

18. G
    September 26, 2013 at 10:01 pm

The issue is bigger than sexual deviancy. These children do not care for any opportunities to see cisgendered people’s undies, they only want to be protected under the law to feel safe and comfortable whilst peeing or changing. Gender identity is completely independent of sexual orientation. No cisgendered student would go through the trouble of pretending to be transgender to get access to another facility. Transgender students identify fully as the opposite sex of which they were born, these students are the same as heteronormative people except their private parts do not match who they are. Hate to break it to you, but gay and lesbian people use their “assigned” public bathrooms everyday. Are you going to exclude them from using the bathrooms they wish to use because of your uncomfort? Every child has the right to pee safely, and this is what the bill entitles them to.

19. Metalchick
    September 26, 2013 at 9:39 pm

To those who keep saying that transgendered students should use the bathrooms according to what outside genetilia they have, what do you think is going to happen to a transgendered boy who uses the boys room? You think they’ll be able to make it out without being harrassed or beat up?

• A Voice in the Dark
      September 26, 2013 at 10:17 pm

I hadn’t heard on any cases of TG students being beaten in the bathroom. I would like the stats on that occurrence. If they exist it would go far in developing the case for this bill. As of now, it seems to be a case of pandering to a very small population over the broader populations wishes and concerns. That is, in my humble opinion, not the american lexicon of majority rule.

• Robert B.
        September 27, 2013 at 3:21 pm

The American lexicon of majority rule is not absolute. It always been tempered by the protection of minority rights enshrined by the 14th Amendment of the Constitution. It protects minorities, like myself, from the tyranny of the majority. Also, here are the stats you asked for:

20. Nancy P
    September 26, 2013 at 9:08 pm

When was the last time anyone saw your private parts in the restroom? There are separate stalls in every bathroom I have been in.
    Moms take their young sons into women’s bathrooms out in public and I would supposed a dad would do the same if he was out with his young daughters without the mother. Do these young kids get traumatized for life from those experiences?

• Joe
      September 26, 2013 at 9:21 pm

How many men’s rooms have you been in Nancy? Obviously not the ones where I went to high school. My second question would be, how many of those parents you mentioned would send their kids into the opposite sexes restroom unattended?

• Nancy P
        September 27, 2013 at 12:24 am

Funny how you answer my question, with a question!
        I haven’t been in very many men’s restrooms. However, I have been told that public display is an option and that most have stalls. Most people don’t poop standing up or in view of other people. (yikes)
        You would have to ask “those parents” your other question. I never had the pleasure of taking a child into the opposite sex bathroom.
        I am glad I do not have children who will be affected by this law.

• Joe
          September 29, 2013 at 12:08 am

You don’t have children who will be affected by this law? Easy to be in favor of this law when it won’t affect you. If you ask me your opinion on the matter is irrelevant.

• Nancy P
            September 29, 2013 at 10:16 pm

I never said I was in favor of this law, Joe. I simply asked a few questions that you aren’t willing to answer.
            Most restrooms have separate stalls and could be made even more private with a few modifications.
            I don’t care what you think is relevant. My vote counts the same as yours.

• Joe
      September 30, 2013 at 1:55 am

OK I’ll answer your questions.

I don’t look for them, so never but this law also covers locker rooms where their hard to miss. The men’s rooms at my high school had no stalls the boys destroyed them again and again.

I doubt it because they are in the company of a parent.

So now, answer my question,
      Do you think the parents mentioned above would willingly send those same children into that same restroom alone to do there business?

• Nancy P
        September 30, 2013 at 1:43 pm

I cannot answer for other parents. I, personally, would not send a child into a bathroom, co-ed or not, without seeing if it was safe and clean.
        I understand the fear and outrage.
        My children and I talked about this issue last night at length. They are as concerned as many of the people posting. More concerned about it being handled properly than wanting to stop it. They all agree that individual bathrooms simply marked “restroom” with a ” in use” sign showing when the door is locked, would work.
        Locker room situations are a whole other story. BTW, are high school boys considered men? Does their locker room say men or boys? Does the girls say women or girls? That’s kind of off topic, I am just curious.

21. Joe
    September 26, 2013 at 8:20 pm

Why does this have to start with the kids? lets make it acceptable for adults to use each others restrooms first and when that becomes the norm we can move on to the kids.

22. Joe
    September 26, 2013 at 8:18 pm

I don’t want any boy, no matter what his sexual orientation, sharing a restroom with my granddaughter. Her own brother can wait his turn if necessary. Now, do you think this means I hate my grandson?

23. Patricia
    September 26, 2013 at 7:59 pm

I am proud of you, Anthony! I am appalled that the press conference was held at AV High school! As a former administrator in that district, their actions have only served to validate my reasons for leaving.
    Keep speaking for those who are ignored and oppressed. And I will do my best to ensure all children in my care are treated with dignity, respect, fairness and compassion.

24. Trans ally
    September 26, 2013 at 7:40 pm

I am proud of you for writing this post Anthony. It is young brave people like you who will lead the fight to affect societal change.
    The people commenting out of fear are deeply misinformed on gender identity and mistakenly equate it with sexual preference or worse, sexual perversion.
    Gender identity disorder has nothing to do with sexual attraction. Gender identity disorder is a conflict between a person’s physical gender and the gender he or she identifies as.
    The comments here would be laughable if this type of reasoning didn’t lend itself to bigoted attacks and threaten the safety of trans people.
    I am also deeply disappointed in members of the AVUHSD participating in hateful discrimination.

• Joe
      September 26, 2013 at 8:22 pm

When you go out to dinner at a restaurant which restroom do you use? Next time try using the other one and see how that works for you.

September 26, 2013 at 8:34 pm

O.K.,I ‘ll tell the boys Joe sent me.Could be interesting.
        Seriously though, all çhildren need to be protected and its unfortunate a realistic dialogue was not had before passage of this bill so that what is happening now could have been avoided.

• Trans ally
        September 26, 2013 at 10:22 pm

That’s my point, Joe. My trans daughter looks, dresses and sounds female. The only bathroom she wants to use, and is safe to use is the women’s restroom.
        Everyone that meets her perceives her as female. Her legal gender is female. Her drivers license states she is female. She has the right to use the correct restroom. By the way, she has never encountered abuse or discrimination from other children only close minded and ignorant adults.

• Joe
          September 30, 2013 at 2:03 am

Fine, then let her use the womens room. However you will not put my granddaughter in the position of having to share a restroom with an older boy no matter what he thinks he is. Her own brother can wait his turn if necessary. If that makes me close minded and ignorant so be it.

25. soapbox journal
    September 26, 2013 at 7:10 pm

I do not want my elementary aged granddaughter to share a bathroom with a boy, regardless of his thinking he is a girl. Too many adults prey on little children, I do not want my baby to become a victim, I will fight to protect her rights and her safety.

• Pat
      September 27, 2013 at 12:37 am

What does the bathroom issue have to do with adults preying on little children?
      I am sensing a lot of fear in your comment.
      I wonder if anyone has done a study on how many transgender people are sexual predators or a study regarding people pretending to be transgender to catch a peek of some little kid.

• soapbox journal
        September 27, 2013 at 11:16 am

For me it has to do with safety of the other children, I for one would not have felt comfortable being in a bathroom with some boy who thinks he is a girl, I grew up in a town were everyone knew everyone since birth, also in a time in history when transgender, homosexuality and all this other stuff was not talked about or known, no one knew that Liberace was gay nor did they care. All we cared about were our own family and neighbors and left the others to care about theirs. No one knew of other men who decided to get married to their same sex partner, or women to women, no one cared. I was surprised to find out that a few of the kids from my high school class later in life did form same sex partnerships, go enjoy your life but stop shoving it into my life. Why does your being gay, transgender, homosexual or what ever have to put so much pressure on others to conform to your life choices?
        I do not ask any one to conform to my lifestyle choices. I get sick when I am around cigarette smoke, but do I ask people to stop smoking, no I just remove myself from their area, because I know it will do no good to ask them to change their habit or preferences.

I hope I have made my point just because you prefer to be called a woman when you have male parts is not a reason to make the rest of the world change just for you, We have so many more serious problems in this world to take care of, our federal budget, the problems in the middle east, our soldiers dying to protect us from more serious nutjobs, and other more pressing problems than your sexual preferences.

26. Ashley
    September 26, 2013 at 5:46 pm

Im sorry but, Its not being ignorant or homophobic to say that if you were born with male parts, you should use the mens restroom and if you were born with female parts, you should use the women’s restroom. We have to stop trying to coddle people and trying to not hurt their feelings, and look at the bigger picture. We already have a problem with men putting cameras and what not in women’s restrooms, being perverted. This law is only going to make it that much easier for perverted people to get away with things. We unfortunately live in a very sick world. And a parent shouldn’t have to explain to their elementary aged son or daughter why they saw the opposite sex in their bathroom. I would be very sad to see this law in effect. And as a woman, it will make me very uncomfortable to use public restrooms. Once they make it legal in schools, it will be legal everywhere else.

• bleh
      September 26, 2013 at 7:20 pm

Completely agree with your statement Ashley!!

• Joe
      September 26, 2013 at 9:16 pm

We have been having this discussion on Facebook today. I don’t know that it is illegal to to use the opposite sexes a restaurant for instance, but you will likely be asked not to come back by the business owner or attacked by a little old lady with pepper spray if you are a man in the ladies room. Most women expressed a desire not to share a public restroom with a man. On the other hand a lot of people are willing to thrust other people’s children into that situation.