Toddler recovering after dog attack in Lancaster

The dog that bit a three-year-old on the back of his neck and the top of his head was in quarantine Tuesday morning and the Lancaster animal shelter. Animal control of conducting a full investigation into the matter, officials said.;

The dog that bit a three-year-old on the back of his neck and the top of his head was in quarantine Tuesday morning at the Lancaster animal shelter. Animal control officers are still investigating the matter, therefore the dog’s fate is uncertain, officials said.

LANCASTER – A 3-year-old boy is in stable condition after he was mauled by a German shepherd during a wedding reception in east Lancaster, authorities said.

The incident happened around 5:30 p.m. Sunday at the dog owner’s home on 47th Street East, where the toddler and his parents were attending a close family friend’s wedding reception, according to Lancaster Community Relations deputy Miguel Ruiz.

“Witnesses reported seeing the large German shepherd playing peacefully with the child all day prior to the incident. It is currently unknown what caused the dog to attack the child,” Ruiz stated.

The dog bit the child on the top of his head and on the back of his neck, according to Ruiz.

“The family was scooping the child up to go to the hospital, and we ended up intercepting them around 30th [Street] East and [Avenue] H,” Ruiz said.

The child lost a large amount of blood and had to be airlifted to Children’s Hospital of Los Angeles for treatment, Ruiz said.

Los Angeles County Animal Control also responded to the residence and took custody of the animal. The dog is now in quarantine at the county animal shelter in Lancaster.

“The Department of Animal Care and Control places the highest priority on protecting people and animals from vicious dogs. Officers are currently conducting an investigation into this case and will take all necessary action to protect the public,” said DACC Director Marcia Mayeda. “We also urge all parents to always monitor their children’s’ interactions with pets, and never allow them to play unsupervised.”

The three-year-old boy is expected to make a full recovery, Ruiz said.

31 comments for “Toddler recovering after dog attack in Lancaster

1. PitLover
    September 28, 2013 at 9:57 am

Amazing! Everyone wants to save the German sheperd

2. Jacob
    September 19, 2013 at 10:06 pm

that’s banaas I wonder how the boy is doing now?!?!?!?!

3. Johnny Trece
    September 19, 2013 at 5:15 pm

BAD DOG!!! BAD!!!

4. Nancy P
    September 18, 2013 at 3:16 pm

Interesting comments.
    Even the most loving dogs get tired of a kid pulling and poking them. When a momma dog is training her pups, she will snap at them to make them mind. It’s not meant as aggression. They want to be left alone.
    I hope this dog is rescued. Dogs should never be put in a position with a kid or another dog that could end badly. They need to be supervised. Sometimes, even dogs who live together and are best friends, get mad at each other.
    I’m glad this was not a pit bull. The comments would have been so different.

5. Gemini
    September 18, 2013 at 2:24 pm

German Shepherds are wonderful dogs but like any dog, they can only take so much of a child bothering them. I have two mini Schnauzers and they are great with everyone but when children come in the house they go to their beds because they don’t like the noise. They will come out later and play but for only so long. They’re just like people.

This Shepherd should not be blamed. I would never leave a child alone with any animal because animals have a tolerance too. The parents are to blame for this one. No doubt about it!!

6. AVGirl
    September 18, 2013 at 10:44 am

I am surprised to read that the parents were transporting their injured child to the hospital without calling 911 and waiting. The story indicates that the child had already lost a lot of blood, so I am curious to why they would risk transporting the child themselves. EMT could have been there in less then a few minutes and assessed the situation to best determine a course of action.

As for the dog, if this was the first time it had done something like this, it makes me wonder the circumstances leading up tot eh incident. 3 year olds can be rough and if left un supervised, they can easily antagonize a dog not used to kids. There have been incidences where a dog has not been found liable for its own actions if it has been assaulted, harassed etc.

• Mr. Worldwide
      September 19, 2013 at 2:53 pm

as a parent you would want to do something and just rush them to the hospital time is against you when you loose so much blood. I completely understand where your coming from yes wait for EMT. But when there is only one hospital around you and you apply pressure to the bleeding body part to slow the flow of blood. you greatly increase lack of blood loss and makes the process to get help faster driving them there. but again as a parent you want to help your kid so I 100 % support the parents on this one. I would of done the same thing.

• k.martinez
        October 4, 2013 at 9:00 am

I agree with Mr.Worldwide..My baby sister was only 13 months and she was mauled by a dog on her face. my dad did exactly what any parent would do in that sitation…u don’t think oh..let’s wait for the ambulance…every second counts when blood is being lost and a parents natural instinct is to get their baby in the hand of a Dr who can save them..not to wait for someone to get there to take the child to get some help…. My heart goes out to the family and I back the parents quick thinking…way to go!!!

• kmartnez
          October 4, 2013 at 9:03 am

7. cwest
    September 18, 2013 at 8:21 am

oh i see yet again..kill the dog when someone leaves their child unsupervised with a dog while they party…another IRRESPONSIBLE act

8. Not the Dogs Fault
    September 18, 2013 at 7:37 am

its not the dogs fault for what happened. its like any other human if you keep pushing people’s button and bugging them they will eventually hit you for bothering them. don’t put the Dog down its not the dogs fault nor the little kid. next time just lock up your dog that’s exactly what I do and I have a boxer I lock her up even though I know she gets a long with people I don’t take the chance.

• keepingit real
      September 18, 2013 at 7:52 am

Shepherds are known for being good with children and protective, maybe the parents of the young child should have been watching their child ( wow, what a concept). Shepherds are very intelligent and often used as police dogs.

9. lauren
    September 18, 2013 at 6:47 am

“Dogs that are good with people”? They are still ANIMALS and shouldnt be left unattended with a child. Even my cat snaps at me sometimes and could probably mess up a 3 year old. Parents should have been watching.

10. Mandy
    September 17, 2013 at 7:13 pm

Someone please go save this dog, the kid is okay. a friend of mine dog bit 12 year old girl on the leg a while back ago because she was threatening and harassing the dog. yes the girl was a minor the dog was cleared of rabies and disease, the dog had to be quarantined for 10 days, owner had to pay a fine. and dog was ordered to obedience training paid for by the owner. just because the dog bit someone, and even a minor does not mean he will be put to sleep! The current owners are responsible for fees and restitution and obedience school. this dog needs a new owner and home. someone responsible

11. concerned parent
    September 17, 2013 at 7:11 pm

• Jennifer
      September 17, 2013 at 8:46 pm

No i dont believe its the parents fault at all. If you know your dog is not good with people or snaps at someone once . Then lock your dog up when you have company. But if you have dogs that are good with people including children then you should have no worries. I have dogs and kids I dont worry for one second that my dogs will bit any one….Dont blame the parents it could of just been a freak accident….

• dumbandblind
        September 18, 2013 at 12:12 am

There is no such thing as accidents only stupidity and mind you, it kills.

• Michael
        September 18, 2013 at 9:00 am

Dog plays with child all day! Child probably grab something that hurt the dog. the owners probably never had a problem before so no reason to separate.

• dumbandblind
      September 18, 2013 at 12:10 am

Free the dog jail the parents and fine everyone who lack common sense. There is no excuse for stupidity. The dog simply run out of patience after being toyed by the child all day- simple.

12. Mandy
    September 17, 2013 at 6:58 pm

I agree with Jenna

13. jim
    September 17, 2013 at 2:39 pm

A human life takes precedence over a vicious animal, including a dog. I hope they put that dog down.

• Michelle
      September 18, 2013 at 12:56 am

The kid is going to be fine, the dog should NOT be put down. It’s most likely not vicious but probably got tired of being harassed by the kid. I know how little kids can be…poking, pulling hair, tail, ears, trying to climb on him. The dog should have been locked up but the parents still should have been watching the kid better, any number of bad things could happen to an unattended toddler.

• [removed]
      September 29, 2013 at 12:10 am

How did you manager to to find your way here Cletus

14. Mia
    September 17, 2013 at 1:40 pm

I don’t care how well behaved anyone says their dog is, I will never let my 2 year old near the dog, an animal is an animal.

15. Jenna
    September 17, 2013 at 1:06 pm

FFS leaving a 3 year old un attended for hours w a dog? Any dog? Babies poke prod pull and squeeze – how LNG did they expect the poor dog to tolerate that? *I* wouldn’t!

What happened to PARENTS taking responsibility ???? What about the ‘hosts’ of the party boarding the dog????

People wake up. Dogs are NOT there to be abused for the child’s enjoyment!

16. Nicole
    September 17, 2013 at 1:03 pm

This has ZERO to do with the breed. ANY breed is capable of attacking. They are animals, and Any animal is capable of injuring a human. It’s our responsibility to train them correctly and watch them when around children and when in stressful situations, like a large party at the home that the dog is not used to.

• Evelyne
      September 17, 2013 at 3:08 pm

I completely agree Nicole and Jenna. This poor dog is getting blamed for this. Who knows EXACTLY what happened.

• Lancasterresident
        September 17, 2013 at 6:28 pm

Who knows what happened but it will be the poor dog that pays for this, we all know most little kids will pull on the ears and tail of a dog/cat whatever…What were the adults thinking, that’s right they weren’t…maybe too much drinking!!
        Hopefully they don’t put the dog down because of this, maybe it needs a better home. Using a dog for a babysitter, bad idea!!!

• Mandy
          September 17, 2013 at 7:00 pm

You are spot on!

17. Lane
    September 17, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Hey doesn’t Mayor Rex have a german sheperd that tails him to various city functions? Wonder what his take would be on outlawing this dangerous breed of dog with a documented attack on a little kid???

• Mr. Mister
      September 17, 2013 at 12:51 pm

He won’t have a take. German Sheps are cop dogs. He gets the pardon would be my bet.