The program allows seniors to volunteer their time to assist CHP employees in performing various duties, including:
- Deploying the radar trailer
- Working with local schools
- Directing traffic at special events
- Assisting the front desk officer in serving the public
- Answering telephones
- Helping with administrative duties
- Teaching driver safety to seniors in the community
Senior volunteers also get the opportunity to participate in ride-alongs with CHP officers and to attend the Senior Volunteer Academy. The local CHP will be hosting an academy in mid-November of this year.
If you are looking for an opportunity to work with one of the premier law enforcement agencies in the world and you meet the following requirements, now is your chance.
- Must be at least 55 years old
- Undergo a background investigation
- Have no felony convictions
- Be of good moral character
- Be available to volunteer during office hours
- Be willing to perform various duties as assigned
- Be able to work with minimal supervision
For more information or to reserve a spot in the Senior Volunteer Academy, contact the local CHP Office at 661-948-8541 and ask for Ken Moeller or Officer Victor Ruiz. View the Senior Volunteer Brochure here.