Pet license checks in Littlerock, Pearblossom next week

ANTELOPE VALLEY – Officers from the Department of Animal Care and Control (DACC) will be in Littlerock and Pearblossom beginning Thursday, Sept. 18.

Officers will be checking for current rabies vaccinations and ensuring that residents are in compliance with licensing requirements, as well as the mandatory spay/neuter and microchip ordinance.

California State law requires that all dogs and cats over the age of four months be vaccinated against rabies and be licensed. Securing a dog or cat license is an important part of identification and can assist animal control agencies if your pet becomes lost.

Pet owners are advised to be in compliance with licensing and the mandatory spay/neuter and microchip ordinance if they reside in any unincorporated area of Los Angeles County (or a contract city that has adopted the County’s ordinance).

Residents not in compliance will be subject to license fees and delinquency charges, including a $40 field enforcement fee to offset the cost of the Department’s field services.

In order to avoid penalties, be sure to license your pet. You can secure a new animal license by printing the application online at, or visiting your local County animal care center. If your license is not delinquent, you can also renew it through the Internet.

DACC offers low cost vaccination/microchips clinics (microchips are now $15, which includes AVID registration) and low cost assistance (for individuals who qualify) for spay and neuter surgeries.

Visit or stop by your local County animal care center for more information about these services.

For more information about DACC, visit the organization’s Facebook page at

  8 comments for “Pet license checks in Littlerock, Pearblossom next week

  1. Richard
    September 14, 2013 at 12:13 am

    This is long overdue. I know of many yards that have several dogs with no licence, no shots, and no interest in the animals beyond a free security system. These disinterested dog owners brag about how when the dogs get out, it’s easy to claim they don’t know whose dog it is to avoid the fine. None of these dogs are neutered and having inbred litters, so it’s no big deal to lose a few dogs.

  2. jon
    September 11, 2013 at 4:47 pm

    what if you plan to breed your dog later? how do i get around the spay/neuter thing?

    • Willis Newton
      September 11, 2013 at 7:05 pm

      Tell the animal control officers to come back with a warrant.

      • AVGirl
        September 13, 2013 at 7:13 am

        All an officer needs to do is see your pet to request to see the documentation. If you refuse, they can get a warrant pretty easy.

    • Pet Owner
      September 12, 2013 at 3:54 pm

      Then you will have to pay the higher tag rate. Certain breeds require special breeders licenses as well, I think.

    • AVGirl
      September 13, 2013 at 7:09 am

      Unless your dog is a registered purebred dog, you will not be able to get a waiver with the intent to breed.

      Seriously unless you know what you are doing, why would you want to add to the overwhelming pet population? By you asking this question, it is obvious you are not a professional breeder and really should not be breeding your dog. There are enough unwanted pets in the area, don’t add to it.

      • Carol
        September 13, 2013 at 11:32 am

        I totally agree with AVGirl. There are enough unwanted or uncared for animals in our area. People don’t fence their yards and dogs are always running wild and getting hit by cars. Very sad, and unnecessary.

    • BRENDA
      September 14, 2013 at 7:42 am

      I have a purepbread male dog, and he is not neutered. He is registered as a breeding dog, which cost more but allowed him to keep his male parts. As I understood at the time, my dog being an American Bull Dog and not a Pit Bull mattered. I think R REX makes all pits get fixed.

Comments are closed.