Resident shoots at burglar in Canyon Country home

Crime AV AlertSANTA CLARITA – Palmdale Sheriff’s Station deputies responded and assisted with a containment and search late Thursday night for a hot prowl burglar who may have been shot after breaking into a reserve officer’s home.

The incident happened around 11:15 p.m. Thursday in a residential area near Sand Canyon Road and Lost Canyon Road in Canyon Country, according to deputy Joshua Dubin of the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station.

A reserve police officer for the Baldwin Park Police Department was at home with his wife and children when he heard a burglar inside his home, Dubin stated.

According to Dubin:

“[The victim] heard a loud crash and when he went to investigate, he saw his rear sliding glass door to his residence was smashed open and the suspect was standing inside his kitchen. The victim quickly retrieved his handgun and ordered the suspect to stop and lay down. He said the suspect hesitated, then moved, possibly toward the victim. The victim fired his gun at the suspect and the suspect ran out through the sliding door and out of sight.”

Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station deputies, a Sheriff’s Department patrol helicopter and deputies from Palmdale Sheriff’s Station responded and contained the area to search for the suspect, but the suspect apparently got away.

The suspect has not been identified at this time and it is not known if he was hit by the shot that was fired.  The suspect is described as a male, approximately 15 to 20 years old, approximately 5 feet 7 inches tall, and weighing approximately 150 pounds.

Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s detectives are handling the criminal investigation.

The victim told detectives that two purses and their contents were stolen from the kitchen area. A large, baseball-sized rock was found inside near the smashed sliding door, Dubin stated.

Anyone with information on this incident is urged to contact the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station at 661-255-1121. Further information will be released as it becomes available.

23 comments for “Resident shoots at burglar in Canyon Country home

1. Ellarel
    September 1, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Good for you! My family home was broken into not to long ago while my husband, kids and i were sleeping. My husband and I were both loaded with our own and ready! The police who responded and searched the area gave my husband and I kudos and said he wished more AV residents knew how to properly handle and protect themselves in this dump. We have also been advised by our family friends who just so happen to be sheriffs that you shoot to kill in a case like this. I’m sorry this scum bag didn’t die on the spot!

2. Lovely
    September 1, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Yes you have the right to protect yourself and your family! When I took my CSI class my instructor who is a very well known homicide detective told us we have the right to shoot and kill an intruder and that he trains to shoot and kill not shoot and wound lol
    I have twin baby girls and I am a stay at home mom. You come up in my house like that and you will be leaving in a body bag!

3. rooney
    August 31, 2013 at 12:09 pm

Before you post, please read up on the laws of owning and using a gun.

4. Nancy P
    August 31, 2013 at 11:51 am

Wow, someone with a lot of time on her hands keeps posting stories for us to read about past incidents. Gee, I wonder who that could be…
    If a burglar is in my home, and I am there…they will not leave without injury.
    I hope this guy is identified and caught.

5. justaroundthecorner
    August 31, 2013 at 11:17 am

Didn’t say they found any blood, too bad. I would think that a reserve police officer would have hit his mark, if not he needs more shooting practice. If it were me, and that scum was in my kitchen, I would have shot more than once, he would have been hit, he would be dead…
    Hopefully they find the scum bag…

• Rooney
      August 31, 2013 at 12:01 pm

Smart cop! Unless you are in fear for your life, like the intruder had a gun, you don’t want to shoot to kill. You may be the one in jail not him.

• Citizen of Lancaster
        August 31, 2013 at 4:38 pm

It does not matter if he had a gun. The fact that he had enough huevos to break into my house while my family and I are sleeping is enough to strike a fear for my life and the life of my family – and I think any other “reasonable” person would feel the same.

Anyone who “smashed (in my) sliding door” with “a large, baseball-sized rock” at “around 11:15 p.m. (on a) Thursday (night)” is not there to sell me girls scout cookies.

I will do what I need to do to protect my family first and myself second. I will not ask him if he has a gun, nor will I look to see if he has one, nor will I ask him to get down on the ground. Shots will be fired without warning as soon as I can reach my pistol until he is either incapacitated or I am out of ammunition.

• Nancy P
          August 31, 2013 at 6:08 pm

well said!

• justaroundthecorner
            September 1, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Agree 100%…. :-)

• DrinkYourKoolAid
        September 1, 2013 at 1:01 pm

Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6. In a (presumably) dark home, you don’t know if the burglar has weapons. Better safe than sorry.

• James Sosa
        September 3, 2013 at 6:25 am

@Rooney, [removed]. Citizen of Lancaster is right. If my kids are home sleeping, some one smashes the screen door, and is standing in my house. They are going to catch a round. I don’t care if he has a gun. He doesn’t belong in my house !!!!

• Jetho Pitlicker
      September 3, 2013 at 3:58 pm

Go the range some time when cops are practicing, they are the worse shots & their gun safety is a joke. I wouldn’t be surprised if they couldn’t hit a barn from inside it. At least at APTS they keep the cops away from the other shooters so the civvies don’t get hurt.

6. The Anti-REX
    August 31, 2013 at 5:59 am

Now if this was you or me that shot an intruder in our own home we would be arrested.
    Double standards

• rooney
      August 31, 2013 at 12:04 pm

Not if you have registered guns. There are laws. Learn them.

7. Nancy P
    August 30, 2013 at 6:33 pm

These burglars have no fear. They are counting on people freezing when they have a breakin. They are also counting on a slow response time from LASD or no one calling the cops.

• AVGirl
        August 31, 2013 at 8:10 pm

Anybody can sue anybody for pretty much anything, it doesn’t mean the case has merit or standing to go to trial or be seen by a judge.

• Son of the Anti Rex
          September 1, 2013 at 9:52 am

Sad but true. Someone knows this all too well and is profiting quite handsomely from chasing ambulances and lately from suing school boards and neighboring city’s.

• Bob
      August 31, 2013 at 2:53 am

The bureaucrats in Sacramento would rather have us all unarmed being a state of Victims, begging for them to give us more police to try to help, a reason to raise our taxes, than let us defend ourselves against such incursions.

A criminal knows that under .04% of the population in our state can legally carry a concealed weapon on them, they have no fear or concern about robbing people anywhere at anytime.

• rooney
        August 31, 2013 at 12:06 pm

Of course you can’t carry but you can have a registered gun in your home.

8. FUNNY
    August 30, 2013 at 5:40 pm

i hope the punk Bled to Death good job to the home owner i wish more people would shoot would be less crime

• dumbandblind
      August 30, 2013 at 7:39 pm

FYI regarding shooting burglars:

• Jenny
        September 3, 2013 at 11:06 am

Thanks for posting this link to the actual penal code dumbandblind. It’s good to know.