LANCASTER – Lancaster Station’s Burglary Suppression Team members – deputies Daniel Mahoney, Michael Fredericks, James Speed, Erik Riddle, Jerimiah McNutt, Mark Madrid, Daniel Gore, Julia Vezina, Maurice Austin, Sylvester Hardison and Team Leader, Sergeant Mark Machanic – all received Exemplary Performance awards for their crime fight efforts.
The team was recognized at the 13th annual awards banquet hosted by the Association for Los Angeles Deputy Sheriffs (ALADS) on June 8.
The event, which was held at the Pacific Palms Resort in the City of Industry, honors deputies for acts of bravery as well as exemplary performance.
During 2011 and 2012, Lancaster’s Burglary Suppression Team, led by Sergeant Mark Machanic, made a concerted effort to reduce the overall burglary rate throughout the entire station policing area.
The team established new protocol for burglary investigations, and overall burglaries were reduced by 38% during that time frame.
The following is a general synopsis of the burglary team’s efforts in the years 2011 and 2012:
- The team participated in approximately 40 target specific operations in the Antelope Valley, with the majority of these operations taking place within Lancaster Station’s patrol area.
- The team served 200 search warrants and conducted 213 parole/probation compliance checks.
- The team recovered 85 firearms and 14 stolen vehicles.
- The team recovered more than $700,000 in stolen property, seized nearly $200,000 in suspected stolen property, and arrested more than 1,000 suspects.
- 95% of the burglary cases handled by the team resulted in a conviction of the suspect.
(Information via press release from the Lancaster Sheriff’s Station.)