Rollover crash in Palmdale kills 5-year-old boy

19-year-old driver Fabian Pineda is evaluated at the scene following a solo rollover crash that killed his brother, 5-year-old Isaac Pineda. (Photos by LUIS MEZA)

19-year-old driver Fabian Pineda is evaluated at the scene following a solo rollover crash that killed his brother, 5-year-old Isaac Pineda. (Photo by JOHN MEZA)

PALMDALE – A 5-year-old boy died after he was partially ejected from an SUV during a rollover crash in Palmdale Tuesday night, authorities said.

The fatal collision happened around 7:45 p.m. Tuesday (June 11) on 25th Street East at the intersection of Avenue Q-4, according to deputy Jeff Perkins of the Palmdale Sheriff’s Station.

Five-year-old Isaac Pineda and his 14-year-old brother were riding in a 1999 Chevrolet Suburban driven by their 19-year-old brother, Fabian Pineda.

The fatal collision happened  on 25th Street East at the intersection of Avenue Q-4 in Palmdale.

The fatal collision happened on 25th Street East at the intersection of Avenue Q-4 in Palmdale. (Photo by JOHN MEZA)

The Suburban was traveling northbound on 25th Street East from Palmdale Boulevard, when the vehicle’s right side tires left the paved portion of the roadway and went onto the dirt shoulder, Perkins stated.

Fabian Pineda lost control of the SUV and the vehicle rolled onto its roof. Isaac Pineda was not using a booster seat or a seatbelt, and he was partially ejected out of a passenger side window as the vehicle overturned, Perkins said. The 5-year-old was pronounced dead at the scene by Los Angeles County Fire Department personnel.

Fabian Pineda and his 14-year-old brother were transported to Antelope Valley Hospital Medical Center for treatment, and they were released to their parents a short time later.

Traffic was blocked off for about four hours on 25th Street East, between Avenue Q and Avenue Q-4, while the incident was being investigated.

This fatal collision remains under investigation by the Palmdale Sheriff’s Station Traffic Office.

66 comments for “Rollover crash in Palmdale kills 5-year-old boy

1. JusticeForAll
    June 17, 2013 at 10:32 am

My condolences go out to the family that endured a loss, because of an accident. It was just that, an accident. The older brother has to live with the pain and guilt of this accident for the rest of his life. The family has endured enough pain and tragedy. For them to have to hear all the negative opinions of others, is just down right mean and heartless. If you don’t know the facts, don’t chime in your two cents. And as stated above, children do take off their seat belts. How can that be prevented? A seat belt alarm that safely stops the car when the belt in unbuckled? Stop the negativity. Rest in peace sweet child. <3

• ssseg
      July 2, 2013 at 12:54 am

Thank you….

2. maria alcazar
    June 16, 2013 at 9:08 am

nobody knows their destiny it could of happen to anybody with or without seatbelts you never know all I know there’s a new angel in heaven looking upon us…….

• ssseg
      July 2, 2013 at 12:55 am

Exactly…..its sad but none of these people with judging comments are god

June 15, 2013 at 11:08 am

I WENT BY THE ACCIDENT SCENE AND THERE WAS A LADY THERE SHE LOOKED SAD… I ASKED HER IF SHE KNEW WHAT HAD HAPPENED AND SHE SAID YES, THIS IS WHAT SHE TOLD ME ABOUT THIS TRAGEDY… “I was about the Arco gas station going north when I saw dust rise up, a few seconds later I saw the overturned vehicle I got out to see if I could help, the driver had gotten out, the 13 yr old passenger was in the desert looking confused, when I looked inside I noticed that the little boy had passed away, that’s when another woman came out with the brown blanket and covered the childs body. When the driver noticed that the child was deceased he went into a state of shock, I grabbed the 13 yr old by the arm and took him to the other side of the street, I asked him what happened and he told me that his younger brother was a very active and playful child and had taken his seat belt off, the older brother (driver) turned to his right to scold the child to put his seat belt back on! But apparently he was so upset that when he turned to scold the child he also turned the wheel loosing control of the vehicle!” MAY THE FAMILY FIND SPIRITUAL COMFORT IN THIS SAD TRAGEDY.

• Kizzy
      June 15, 2013 at 12:03 pm

This is what I though it happen, kids take their seat belts off.,
      A booster chair was the issue like everyone here has been judging.
      My prayers for this family and for his brothers.

4. ssseg
    June 14, 2013 at 1:04 pm

Wow I see how most people judge that this never should’ve happened…yes this is a sad situation very sad but no one has control of how god selects the way we go and when…no matter what situation nothing in this world could be prevented this is the way God wanted things to go its his way its his choice…he blessed this family with issacc and he called him home in his way….there’s stories like this all the time and they will never end because these are the different ways we go home we will all face it one day in the way again God decides to take us…prayers to his family

5. June 13, 2013 at 10:31 pm

I just want to pay my respects to the family of Isaac Pineda a loving angel that now is resting in peace he will always be remembered and will be in our hearts as this little angel was my sons friend and to think of it how my son took it seeing him cry because he misses his friend may this cute baby angel Isaac rest in peace. Will be in our prayers for Isaac and his family as well.

• ga
      June 14, 2013 at 12:57 pm

I know my student was also in Issac’s class and it is very difficult to explain and answer questions. Very sad and difficult thing to go threw….may his lil soul r.I.p

6. June 13, 2013 at 1:56 pm

My heart go’s out to the Family of Isaac,May Jesus help them in this time of sorrow.

7. Aunt D
    June 13, 2013 at 12:36 pm

We lost one of our babies and as many families do, we will grieve together…THANK YOU! to all those who are preying for us and may all of your children return safe tonight.

• Dianna
      June 17, 2013 at 12:35 am

I am sorry for ur lost I live in the house where it happen and was one of th first one to call 911 and try to help if u need anything plz let me know I’m here for u plz if anything let me know I’m name is dianna and I am 18 years old god bless ur family and once again I’m sorry and plz let me know how the other 2 boys are I’m very conserd

8. Kizzy
    June 13, 2013 at 9:10 am

• La
      June 13, 2013 at 4:57 pm

Thank you finally someone has a peace of mind

9. June 13, 2013 at 8:43 am

A very inexpensive item such as a booster seat would have saved the 5 year-old. The fact that the vehicle had big tires indicates that a booster seat could and should have been placed in the vehicle . As for this horrible and neglectful act, a child died needlessly. I’ve witnessed children being transported without being fastened, and it gives me the chills.
    The 19 year old should have known better, but alas he learned the hard way.

10. Cinthia
    June 12, 2013 at 11:01 pm

It was really hard to be at the place of the sene it was shocking specially to see the little boy laying there I can’t get over the whole situation I hope the baby’s parents are better i am so sorry and my condolences I would love to be at his funeral even though I never met him but the fact of seeing him there it was a nerve raking….and specially cuz I have a boy almost the same age and I can’t imagine something like that :,(

• Yo Mama
      June 14, 2013 at 10:00 am

Just buckle him up, and make sure he goes to school. Hopefully he’ll learn all good things about riding in cars, and writing English. Math, history, science. All these things help an individual succeed in life. And, buckle him up!

11. Realtalk
    June 12, 2013 at 7:42 pm

This is such a sad story. Any person driving a vehicle should be responsable for the passengers and should make sure they are buckeld or in carseats. As far as the city of Palmdale they should consider fixing the streets and putting more lights on these dark streets. We do pay alot of property taxes and according to the city half goes to them to fix up but yet dont do [removed]. If seen alot of stories of people who have been ranned over due to the fact that these streets are dark.

• les
      June 13, 2013 at 9:17 pm

It was 7:45pm so it wasn’t even dark yet. You can also clearly see street lights in both photos. You want the City of Palmdale to do just what exactly? They’re to blame just how?
      This was a horrible accident but the City of Palmdale is in no way at fault.

• ab
        June 15, 2013 at 1:24 am

I agree, I was actually on my way home on this road when I encountered the accident site and there was plenty of light and there is nothing wrong with the condition of the road. This was just a common occurance of a car drifting off the road onto the dirt. My heart goes out to the family, because I hadn’t realized a life was lost.

12. Julie
    June 12, 2013 at 7:04 pm

No judgement here, just a terrible ACCIDENT :( The guilt is going to be awful enough for this 19 year old, I’m sure :(

13. Diana
    June 12, 2013 at 5:14 pm

May this baby rest in peace. May God be with the family in this trying time. Makes me sad when I’m driving and I see a child with no seat belt / booster. I’ve seen 1, 2 even 3 kids in the back without their seat belts. We as parents need to keep our kids on check as much as we can. We need to constantly talk to them about the importance of seat belts. Seat belts do save lives.

14. LRock
    June 12, 2013 at 4:55 pm

A hard lesson this 19 year old learned!!
    Such a sad story!!

15. AVGirl
    June 12, 2013 at 4:23 pm

Actually if you do a quick search, oversized tired/rims CAN make a difference in braking, handling and control. It also messes with the transmission and in general can be a strain on a vehicle.

• AVGirl
      June 14, 2013 at 4:12 pm

Just do a quick search and you see that it is true. It causes issues with even the speedometer.

16. pamela
    June 12, 2013 at 3:31 pm

Palmdale needs to put in curbs and sidewalks on these streets, they are very dangerous and they are everywhere.

• Pixie
      June 12, 2013 at 3:49 pm

Oh stop! Why is it always someone elses responsibility? Should there be no dirt shoulders anywhere? If you feel so strongly about it why don’t you offer to cover the cost.
      The driver made 2 mistakes: overcorrecting when he drifted onto the shoulder but even more inmportantly a 5 YEAR OLD WAS NOT BELTED IN let alone in a required booster seat.
      Should Palmdale take responsibility for that too?

• IJS
        June 12, 2013 at 5:18 pm

@ Pixie, why don’t you just leave Pamela alone. She has a right to state how she feels. It seems like you are attacking her

• gerry
          June 12, 2013 at 6:30 pm

Pixie is simply stating the truth. The child should have been in a booster seat and seat belt. If that had been done, he would be with his two brothers after a brief hospital visit. Most of these roads do not need curbs. Putting curbs in this location requires more than just pouring some concrete. The road must be made 8 feet wider in each direction so that there is a shoulder to pull onto, then the curbing could be put in. It would not be too far a stretch to costs greater than $200,000 per mile to do this. How many miles would need to be done? It is much cheaper to take responsibility and use seat belts, don’t you agree?

• R
          June 12, 2013 at 6:45 pm

Why not blame the driver instead of the city, county, state????? Accept the responsibility where it should be!

• just me
            June 12, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Why not realize, this child, could have been seat belted in, and as my kids used to do, unbuckle the belt….my prayers to the family………

• michel'le
            June 12, 2013 at 9:13 pm

Why whould u blame the driver… it was a honest mistake this boy has to live with knowing that he is responsible for his little brothers death. I believe that is punishment enough… my prayers go out to this family, no parent should have to bury their child. This is a very sad situation no matter how u look at it…. how bout feeling for this family instead of point fingers…. don’t judge someone sins just because u sin different!!!

• Marissa pineda
            June 15, 2013 at 6:14 pm

Hes a teenager and like most of them he did not know or understand the severity of the situation…this kid did what any of us would have done..he turned around to get isaac introuble for removing the belt. Accidents happen..stop attacking him I dont expect any of you to understand considering your not family…so taking that into mind realize that we are hurt by what happend..yes we..those of us who wake up and remember isaac is no longer with us..but we as family stick together we wont point fingers or blame fabian for something he will live with .. furthermore, we are not asking for your rude comments. But those of you who have prayed for them..thank u so much.

• Yo Mama
          June 14, 2013 at 9:53 am

I know, I know….the truth is vicious sometimes. Even when a helpless child is killed when he shouldn’t have been. Man that sucks….

June 14, 2013 at 10:46 am

This blog is a good example of society circling the drain -no right, no wrong, no guilt, political correctness gone awry.

17. Rose Marie
    June 12, 2013 at 3:15 pm

Someone’s precious little boy, brother, grandchild, cousin, nephew is gone. Please for Heaven’s sake, allow this family to grieve. Can you not imagine the guilt they already feel. Much love and respect to the family. God bless you all. Baby boy…rest in the loving arms of sweet Jesus.

• anonamis
      June 13, 2013 at 11:18 am

thank you..

18. Yo Mama
    June 12, 2013 at 3:05 pm

Oversized wheels!??! Jesus christ! Where do people come up with this garbage? Hey, Dingbat, the vehicle flipped due to DRIVER ERROR. Period. It’s called, “over-correction”. The same thing you won’t have a clue about what to do when it happens to you. You could be runnin moped tires. If you put those tires in the dirt, and jerk the wheel back, you’ll flip every time.

• Frank Rizzo
      June 12, 2013 at 4:14 pm

over sized wheels 22 ‘s etc are pretty lame.

• Yo Mama
        June 13, 2013 at 9:49 am

• kathryn reyes
      June 12, 2013 at 6:39 pm

• Yo Mama
        June 13, 2013 at 9:47 am

Yup! tee-hee….

• maria alcazar
          June 16, 2013 at 8:59 am

you are noone to judge only god knows why, he’s a lil angel sent to heaven god bless his soul my prayers are with the family stay strong no matter what people say only you guys know the pain and those that do they know how it feels to lose a loved one may god bless you all baby Issac we love you very much and will always be in our hearts……

• Anonymous
      June 13, 2013 at 10:51 pm

You should keep your comments to your self.! Instead of judging why don’t you go judge the guy who killed people in Santa Monica college cause that sure wasn’t an accident as the news says.

• Yo Mama
        June 14, 2013 at 9:39 am

Because he’s dead!

Look, I know the truth is painful at times. It’s just how it goes. A very preventable mistake. No accident, Sugar. Hitting something that doesn’t move, or drive off the road – all by your lonesome – is a mistake. Shoulda never happened, and that’s why I’m disgusted…Damn shame

19. Sandra
    June 12, 2013 at 2:50 pm

RIP little one. My brother died the same way… car going off on gravel and couldn’t be corrected. Think of how his brother must feel. My condolences to the family.

• anonamis
      June 13, 2013 at 11:21 am

20. Michelle
    June 12, 2013 at 2:46 pm

Amen to that. I don’t understand people want to go out and judge other people for mistakes, accidents, etc. etc. Leave these people a lone don’t you think they have enough to handle for one day. prayers are with them.

• tsk tsk tsk
      June 12, 2013 at 2:53 pm

The problem is not judging them, it’s the fact that people do this ALLL the time, and it needs to be addressed to prevent this kind of fatalities from happening.

• heyney
        June 12, 2013 at 3:08 pm

I agree it is addressed by reporting in the news like this. LEtting people know there was an accident and how not using seatbelts and car seats could have possibly prevented it. It doesnt help when people chime in on someones loss to say how stupid they were or how they shoulda woulda coulda….that is judgemental. We all make mistakes and have accidents it not excusing the issue just asking for respect for a family during a difficult time. Possibly hold your opinions and judgements just for a moment

June 12, 2013 at 4:26 pm

Not having that child belted in is not an opinion,a mistake or an accident,it is criminal negligence.

• heyney
            June 12, 2013 at 4:45 pm

Im not saying its not what im saying is it is not Antelope Valleys finest citizens to make the judgement and make these comments during a families time of loss and own personal feelings of guilt they are going through.

June 12, 2013 at 6:16 pm

Don’t care what they’re going through, they are alive and the little boy they were supposed to be nurturing is dead!

• heyney
            June 12, 2013 at 7:15 pm

Hopefully in your perfect world you never make a mistake or have a horrible thing like this happen for everyone to pass judgment on you our someone in your family what a complete ass you are

• Yo Mama
            June 14, 2013 at 9:47 am

It sure as hell is!! Sorry. My heart bleeds for the 5 year old who doesn’t have a clue what the law is, or what immortality is. Thoroughly disgusted by this. Never shoulda happened…

21. Annie
    June 12, 2013 at 2:43 pm

After Reading this it’s so sad that no one took the few seconds for a booster seat or to strap him in poor little thing may you rip

• tsk tsk tsk
      June 12, 2013 at 2:54 pm

Well said. That is what I think as well. Taking a minute to keep the little ones safe. What a terrible way to die.

• sally
      June 12, 2013 at 4:21 pm

if this happened to be a parents car, shouldn’t there have been a booster seat for him in the car to begin with?

22. heyney
    June 12, 2013 at 2:40 pm

it is sad that everytime there is some accident people quickly chime in with their opinions and place blame on “stupid parents” “stupid tires” “illegals” “government” “the police” and every other STUPID reason under the sun. Its an accident have some respect for the families keep your STUPID comments to yourself and let these people grieve. Learn from mistakes keep your comments to yourself….no one is perfect they are called accidents for a reason

• AVGirl
      June 12, 2013 at 4:19 pm

This could have been easily avoided and I think that is what most people are saying. had the child been strapped in properly he might have had a chance.

• sally
        June 12, 2013 at 4:21 pm

i agree.

• june12
        June 12, 2013 at 10:43 pm

Yes, this could have possibly been avoided, #1. For the boy if he was seat belted in, and #2. For the accident if the shoulders were paved. Not blaming anyone..

• Not quite...
      June 12, 2013 at 6:48 pm

If the child had been properly secured, there would probably be no news story. It would have been a simple accident, and they would have been taken to a hospital for first aid. As it is, a little child (who couldn’t secure himself in the vehicle) is dead because the adults who were supposed to take care of him didn’t. I agree with part of what you said. Rolling the vehicle was an accident. Not securing the kid, that was negligence.

• PO'd Yank
      June 12, 2013 at 7:35 pm

So, you’re saying the only comment we can make is the usual, meaningless drivel like: “our thoughts and prayers…blah, blah, etc”.? Gimme a break.

• Bruce
        June 14, 2013 at 9:42 am

What’s wrong with showing some kindness and compassion???….You sound like a real swell guy.

• PO'd Yank