VIDEO: Help catch “hot prowl” burglar

The alleged burglar was captured on a victim's surveillance camera while creeping around outside the victim's home. The thief tried, but ultimately did not gain entry into the home, officials said. However, he is accused of committing at least 10 "hot prowl" burglaries around Lancaster during the month of May.

The alleged burglar was captured on a victim’s surveillance camera while creeping around outside the victim’s home. The thief tried, but ultimately did not gain entry into the home, officials said. However, he is accused of committing at least 10 “hot prowl” burglaries around Lancaster during the month of May.

LANCASTER – Do you recognize the man in these images? If so, then Lancaster Station detectives would like to hear from you.

Detectives believe the thief is responsible for at least 10 home burglaries in Lancaster, this month alone.

All the burglaries have occurred between 12 and 6 a.m., while the victims were asleep inside their homes.

These types of burglaries are considered a “Hot Prowl,” said Lancaster Community Relations deputy Michael Rust.

“In all the burglaries, he was able to get in during the middle of the night and take stuff because the people are leaving their homes and windows unlocked,” Rust said, adding that in one case, the thief crawled through a doggy door.

Rust said the crime is dangerous for victims, as well as the suspect.

“They’re asleep in their homes thinking they’re safe, and they have a burglar walking around their house taking their stuff,” Rust said. “It’s a very dangerous situation, because if they were to wake up, who knows what the guy would do?”

“He needs to be taken off the streets before he either hurts somebody or somebody kills him,” Rust added.

The Lancaster Sheriff’s Station is reminding all residents to lock their doors and windows before going to bed, Rust said.

If you recognize the suspect, you are urged to contact the Lancaster Station Burglary Suppression Team at 661-948-8466. If you see this suspect in your neighborhood, call 911 immediately.

View recent surveillance video of the alleged “hot prowl” burglar trying to gain entry into a Lancaster home.

40 comments for “VIDEO: Help catch “hot prowl” burglar

1. KOUI
    May 23, 2013 at 9:00 pm

Come on in, we’re ready.

2. L-Rock
    May 23, 2013 at 7:58 pm

A good friend of mine lives out in East Lancaster, they were hit on Mothers Day while they were home and again a few days later. I will not be surprised if this is the same guy! It’s the same story almost exactly!! I hope they catch this POS!!! Quick!!

3. jackie
    May 23, 2013 at 1:29 pm

What area is this slime prowling? Would like to know if it’s my neighborhood.

• AVcares
      May 25, 2013 at 12:23 pm

Yes!! I agree. Does anyone know the area??

Has this scum been caught yet??…I’m sure if they offered a reward, his (friends)would turn on him real fast…

4. Steve
    May 23, 2013 at 8:10 am

Shoot That POS, let his buddies learn a lesson from it. He is not alone!!!

• james
      May 23, 2013 at 12:47 pm

Glad your with me on that !!

5. Turd Ferguson
    May 23, 2013 at 7:46 am

Do not worry people.Do not worry people.We have LEAPS.We have LEAPS.It is the ultimate crime fighter.It is the ultimate crime fighter.We were told it will fight crime.We were told it will fight crime.And save lives.And save lives.One of these days it might.One of these days it might.Up to now it has been a joke.Up to now it has been a joke.$90,000.00 a month for what.$90,000.00 a month for what.To show up late to a pursuit?To show up late to a pursuit?We have LEAPS for 10 years.We have LEAPS for 10 years.That is $10,800,000.00 in the pocket of Frank Visco.That is $10,800,000.00 in the pocket of Frank Visco.From tax payer money.From tax payer money.While crime goes up.While crime goes up.No to LEAPS!No to LEAPS!Yes to sherriffs.Yes to sherriffs.We need more sherriffs.We need more sherriffs.More boots on the ground.More boots on the ground.

• Herewegoagain....
      May 25, 2013 at 12:27 pm

Ferg the turd…ferg the turd…THUMBS DOWN.. THUMBS DOWN

6. L.Lewis
    May 23, 2013 at 7:14 am

I am not against protecting your person, family, or property. However I would encourage all citizens in California to become very familiar with CA Penal Code 198.5 with respect to self defense against burglars. Once again, I am all about protecting yourself; however, develop a mind set that will bring you the results you are seeking.

May 23, 2013 at 10:39 am

Right you are, gotta be in the house and a threat, correct?

• L.Lewis
        May 23, 2013 at 8:54 pm

Owners or residents of a home (but not their guests)are entitled REASONABLY to defend their property against imminent harm. You must be IN THE HOME when an intruder ENTERS, California self-defense law presumes that you REASONABLY fear imminent harm or danger. However, this presumption only applies once an intruder actually ENTERS your home. The best action to take …call 911 on your cell phone with the (speaker) on so the 911 operator can hear what’s going on; and tell the operator that someone is attempting (without your permission)to enter your residence and that you are in fear of your life and you need the police to respond immediately. This action will establish that you are acting in a reasonable manner. Then God forbid, if they to break in then the following comes into play. 1. That the danger or threat was IMMINENT. 2.That you REASONABLY believed you would be harmed, and 3. That you REASONABLY responded to that danger.

• Wow!
          May 25, 2013 at 11:50 am

I’d rather be tried by twelve than buried by six.

• justsaying
          May 25, 2013 at 12:19 pm

I guess if you do shoot or what ever, just make sure you drag them inside then call or let the dog(s) get them.
          Your house, your home, you protect.

May 23, 2013 at 10:47 am

That 198.5 is one of the most confusing., run on sentences I have ever read.Shame on the person who wrote that.Wouldn’t 197 apply?

• L.Lewis
        May 23, 2013 at 9:09 pm

You would think so … if the word “INTENT” wasn’t used so many times. At the very least 198.5 spells our that once the intruder “ENTERS” your home without your permission, then obviously you don’t have to establish INTENT.

May 23, 2013 at 10:37 pm

So now I wonder if that extends to the boundaries of your property;i.e,if you are in your backyard enjoying the beautiful evening and these nimrods hop over the blockwall with the intent to do harm to you,does the same apply ?
          Might not have time to get inside the house.

• L.Lewis
            May 24, 2013 at 6:50 pm

Your example is well taken. Although I am not a lawyer, I will offer the following suggestion as it pertains to self-defense against a trespasser or (trespassers) that are on your property unlawfully. Similarly, you have a right to use force against someone who is trespassing on your property. If you ask the person who is trespassing to leave…and he/she does not…you are permitted to use reasonable force to make him/her leave your property.

May 24, 2013 at 7:59 pm

Hate having to live like that but the alternative is worse.Used to feel safe behind 6 foot block wall until I saw a couple of kids scale my neighbor ‘s wall in seconds with no difficulty.

• Nancy P
            May 24, 2013 at 10:05 pm

Once they get up on the wall, they can run like hell without falling. They get where they want to be and jump down. That one of the reasons they put shopping carts against the walls around neighborhoods. Easy up when they are being chased. Crazy

May 24, 2013 at 10:25 pm

Never thought of that;Palmdale is pretty good about gettting them picked up .
            unless the store doesn’t subscribe to the pickup service..Maybe razor wire.

• Nancy P
            May 24, 2013 at 10:31 pm

grease the top of your wall!

7. Tiffany
    May 23, 2013 at 4:13 am

My old landlord was a police officer for years and he told us that dowels aren’t very safe because they can actually get the window itself off the track which at that point the dowels useless. If you’re able to drill a hole through the track and the metal part of the window you can put a screw, nail etc in it when it’s closed and it’s a lot safer.

May 23, 2013 at 10:37 am

Thanks Tiffany, this is true.My slider door is newer and has these built in but not the windows.I think if window is closed/locked they can’t do that and they will make noise, but excellent advice.

8. Nancy P
    May 23, 2013 at 12:58 am

Wonder what the emblem is on the back of that sweatshirt…Can anyone tell?
    I have a motion sensor light on my patio and a few months ago when I let my dogs out in the early AM, I found the light bulb 3 feet away, on the table. My house was locked up tight, with dowels in doors and windows. The only thing gone was my stainless steel dog bowls.
    I try to let neighbors know when strangers are walking into yards and driveways looking over gates. Sometimes, I think the “strangers” are checking yards that have “beware of dog” signs to see if there is really a dog. There is :)

9. Patricia Hayden
    May 22, 2013 at 10:24 pm

My dog may be a Chihuahua but she has the attitude of a large dog and a big bark all in an 8 lb body, I know she would not stand a chance against someone or something that wanted to harm her but she would sure let me know if someone came near me. I lock all my windows and doors.

10. Nick
    May 22, 2013 at 9:49 pm

Wonder if this is related to the attempted rape case that happened today.

• duh
      May 22, 2013 at 9:51 pm

I just thought the same thing, looks to be grey sweatshirt

11. FUNNY
    May 22, 2013 at 9:08 pm

Can you say 357 i will blow his leg off and he wont be hopping no wall to get into a back yard

• Resa
      May 22, 2013 at 9:33 pm

• justbeingreal
      May 23, 2013 at 8:37 am

Thats right.

• james
      May 23, 2013 at 12:51 pm

.223 for him !!!

12. Daniel
    May 22, 2013 at 8:46 pm

Were did theys crimes take place in Lancaster?

13. Ace
    May 22, 2013 at 8:45 pm

Is he targeting a certain neighborhood or area, It’d be helpful to know.

May 22, 2013 at 9:28 pm

Ace I guess you just have to assume he is targetting anyone ,anywhere.

• Lancastrian
      May 22, 2013 at 11:52 pm

That’s a very valid question. Many of these jerks tend to sh*t where they eat. I’m willing to bet the homes robbed were in close proximity to each other and his own home.

14. sikntired
    May 22, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Wow,that ws educational;better move that security light up a bit.
    Why I sleep with a gun.

May 22, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Ladies,get rid of the doggy doors,and put dowels in every window.go to Home depot and have them cut for you if you don’t have tools.Noisy dog good too,to alert you.
      Security lights I guess need to be up on the roof, scary how he just reached up and turned it off. How are you supposed to change the bulbs,Jeesh it’s getting complicated out there.

15. ryeneshia Jackson
    May 22, 2013 at 8:26 pm

They ment to say its not safe for him if I wake up and see him in my house that will be his last hot prowl just saying lol

16. May 22, 2013 at 7:32 pm

I was wondering…The article says one house had a doggie door, did they have a dog and did the dog not bark??? I have a dog but still close the doggie door at night…can’t be to careful nowadays!!
    Hope they find this scumbag…
    Where are the Rotts and Pitbulls when you need them :):)

• Resa
      May 22, 2013 at 9:48 pm

My house. ;) Got two pit-bulls, a US Marine for a hubby, and a gun. Can never be too safe these days! ;)