UPDATED: Business owner shot dead after dispute, suspect in custody

The victim has been identified as 39-year-old Christopher Demyen of Acton (upper left), according to the Los Angeles County Coroner's Office.

The victim has been identified as 39-year-old Christopher Demyen of Acton (upper left), according to the Los Angeles County Coroner’s Office.

ACTON – A 39-year-old Acton business owner was shot to death after a fight Wednesday afternoon.

The incident happened shortly before 2 p.m. in front of a home in the 1500 block of Eagle Butte Road, according to sheriff’s homicide investigators.

“The victim and suspect got into a verbal and physical altercation. It’s unknown at this time what the fight was about, but at some point during that fight, the suspect produced a firearm and shot the victim one time in the upper torso area,” said Sheriff’s Homicide Lt. Holly Francisco. “The victim was pronounced dead at the scene.”

Sources at the scene said the victim was the owner of the Acton Water Company.

Sources said the victim was the owner of the Acton Water Company. (Photos by LUIS MEZA)

The victim’s name has not been released, pending next of kin notification; however, sources at the scene said the victim was the owner of the Acton Water Company.

An Acton Water Company truck driver was near the suspect’s home  for water delivery when the two got into some kind of altercation, sources said.

The owner came to the residence to see what was going on, and then the owner got into an argument with the suspect that escalated into a fight, sources said. Sometime during the fight the suspect pulled out a gun, shot the business owner to death and then left the scene.

Deputies found the suspect in the area shortly after the shooting.

“The suspect was taken into custody without incident,” Francisco said. The suspect’s name had not been released as of 9 p.m. Wednesday, but detectives said he is a 56-year-old White male.

Anyone with information about this incident is encouraged to contact the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department’s Homicide Bureau at 323-890-5500. If you would like to remain anonymous, call Crime Stoppers 800-222-TIPS (8477).

UPDATED 5/16/13: The victim has been identified as 39-year-old Christopher L. Demyen of Acton, according to the Los Angeles County Coroner’s Office.

Scott Shipley

Scott Shipley

UPDATED 5/16/13 @8:45 pmAuthorities have released the name and booking photo of the suspect arrested in connection with the shooting death of Acton Water Company owner Christopher Demyen.

The suspect has been identified as 56 year-old Acton resident Scott Shipley.

Shipley has been booked for murder at the Palmdale Sheriff’s Station and is being held in lieu of $1 million. He has a court date scheduled for May 17 at the Antelope Valley Court.

According to a press release issued by the Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau just minutes ago: “The victim and suspect reportedly became involved in an argument over a vehicle parking issue, and at some point during the argument, the suspect shot the victim.”

UPDATED 5/17/13: Scott Shipley was charged with one count of murder Friday (May 17), according to the Los Angeles District Attorney’s Office. Shipley appeared in an Antelope Valley courtroom Friday, but his arraignment was postponed until June 17.

UPDATE 8/21/13: SCOTT SHIPLEY TO STAND TRIAL FOR MURDER. After a preliminary hearing today, a Los Angeles Superior Court judge determined there was sufficient evidence for Scott Shipley to stand trial for the murder of Christopher Demyen. Shipley will return to court again on Sept. 21 for a second arraignment, which will be held in room A21 at Antelope Valley courthouse.

29 comments for “UPDATED: Business owner shot dead after dispute, suspect in custody

1. Bilzer Blitzer
    August 20, 2013 at 4:10 pm

I just got out of court at the pliminary hearring with 33-40 Bene Gesseret
    supporters of the dead man with little sympathy ribons and stunned looks as they heard that the dead man started the fight that got him shot.
    I heard the officer testify and I heard the neibor who;s pool was being filled.

I diddent have sympathy for treyvon and now I have none for Christopher L. Demyen , he tossed the first punch you can see Scott Shipley (the accused) all beaten up in photo on this page. frankly he should have shot the protagonist sooner.

The dead protagonist was agitating and arguing after his company blocked reasonable access to private property. the dead protagonist attempted to illegaly tow a vehicle that was thwarted from lawful access by the dead protagonist’s water dlivery company, and when confronted with his lawless activity he punched and acosted the real victem here Mr.Scott Shipply.
    these are the facts before the court as I heard them today

Mr. Shipply’s attourney asked for a dismissal but judge Christopher. has chosen to ignore reasonable circumstances of self defence and apply a 2 million dollar bail amout to satisfy all the freemasons and the BeneGesseret eastren stars of ACTION CA.. I dont think shipply can get a fair trial here as the blue hair caccus of action is posed to assanate a man justifyable exersisizing his right to keep and bare arms in defence of his hme and property

IT seems that captitolistic enterprize trumps the civil rights guarenteed by the constitution, It seems that we are in a post america enviroment when corperate fassist can attack people when they are in the wrong, and defending yourself from their tyrany is a capitol offence.

• April Latae
      August 28, 2013 at 12:08 am

That is my nephew his father was my baby brother. Lawrence fought in the war for you people and was in the orange county police department. Only God will decide.Didn’t know Chris.To be honest with you Chris’s grampa whom was my dad was a very brutal man. But Chris’s Dad was not. I remember JOHN DEMYEN Chris’s grandpa beating I mean beating my sister.
      Let alone what our brother Johnny Samuel Demyen did to my sister and I. Demyen down here in Canada have a very brutal temper

• WTF
        November 19, 2013 at 2:32 pm

• ME
      November 19, 2013 at 2:29 pm

What hole did you crawl out of you piece? Have you ever heard of equal or lesser force? It doesn’t matter what happened….attempting to end a life when the same was not being done to you… is erroneous!!

Not to mention people made public statements!!! “He’s sorta been the crazy guy in the neighborhood. There’s been problems with him, complaints.”

I gained a new account today who new the man and she told me he gave her the creeps!!!

For you to come on here and rant as if the man is being wrongfully pursued for his actions, REGARDLESS OF THE ALTERCATION, does nothing for him except kill any credibility the mans acquaintances could have in character referencing.

Oh and by the way, “captitolistic” is a word you dingbat.

Your an idiot…with terrible grammar. Please cut your internet cord. Thank you

2. Jim P
    June 3, 2013 at 7:13 pm

I’ve known Scott Shipley for 30 years and it is completely out of character for this to happen. He is also a business owner in Acton and has two children and loving wife. Scott is not a hot head. Something is really not being told here, but I don’t know what that might be. I pray for both families and hope people can learn from this terrible occurrence to “Love Thy Neighbor” and keep a cooler head in such altercations.

3. brian
    May 28, 2013 at 6:20 pm

when I was told that Chris Demyen got shot and killed, I had surely hoped that there was another Chris Demyen who got shot and killed. That sounds bad, but, what I am trying to say is, I hoped that it was a typo or something in the report. Especially with his wife that he is survived by with two children.

4. Carol
    May 21, 2013 at 5:17 pm

I am Chris’s cousin from Canada! And when his brother called me and told me what had happened to Chris,I dropped to my knees and starting to cry, and asked God why him? I truly believe they should shoot him down in cold blood like he did to Chris, an eye for an eye they use to say!! Hang him cut his ugly mugged head off!! That’s what I think they should do bring back the death penalty everywhere!!! We should take a stand and not pay for the killers and other mugs who are in the jails,why should we all pay for them to have a bed and who are fed three meals a day! I am so glad I live in Canada! We are not allowed to carry guns around!! I hope that idiot gets what he deserves!!

• Bilzer Blitzer
      August 20, 2013 at 4:19 pm

we now know chris was principaly responsible like treyvon martin for his own death.

Good men make bad choices all the time, but the crime here is to blame shipply for defending himself and criminalizing self defence.

Am i sorry for your loss,, of course , this was needless. Criss was in a damm hurry to get his truck back on the road and took the law into his own hands, and in this case as it should be it was a fatal mistake.

5. Susan
    May 18, 2013 at 9:29 pm

Just unimagineable in Acton— my heart goes out to the wives and the children of both families.

6. Tim Fassino
    May 17, 2013 at 7:43 pm

I did not know Chris, but he was a friend of a person who is close to our family. In this difficult time we can make a difference with a donation to help his family. I understand he has two children and his wife if pregnant.
    There is a website http://www.gofundme.com where you can make a donation to his family.

7. skip
    May 17, 2013 at 12:20 am

Chris delivered my water and I just saw him two days ago and we just had the same conversation we always had. He always ask me if I had my gun with me and we both would laugh. I always had my pistol with me when he came to deliver water and I always told him it is very dangerous around Acton because if their not drunk their on crank. We often had discussions on how you cannot fight people today because if they are loosing they will pull out a gun or knife and kill you. I just can’t believe that is exactly how it happened.

8. Brian Haddock
    May 16, 2013 at 9:44 pm

I am one of his neighbors I saw him everyday and out of anyone that I know he would of been the least person I would think this would happen to. But it puts in perspective there are scum bags everywhere even in our little sleepy town of Acton. And his wife said something that rings true in my head you need to tell the people you love that you love them everyday.It really makes me sick to think that his children have to grow up without their father over an argument whatever happen to the days where you could duke it out and none of these wimps would pull out a gun and shoot you. Why? I don’t know but life is a journey maybe when I meet our maker he can explain.

9. Josh Paolino
    May 16, 2013 at 6:09 pm

I went to Palmdale High with Chris. He was a good person who enjoyed joking around with his friends. Although I hadn’t heard from him in years, I’m glad to see that he had become a successful business owner. I may have my views on the prevalence of guns in this country, but I’ll leave them out of this comment because it’s the loss of a man’s life that we should be thinking about. It’s saddening to hear of this and a dream cut short. I’ll hold Chris and his family to the light. :(

10. Dinky
    May 16, 2013 at 4:25 pm

So sad prayers going out to his family and friends

11. Marina McNutt
    May 16, 2013 at 3:33 pm

May the Lord be with the family and give them peace. World has gone mad!

12. Deanna Green
    May 16, 2013 at 2:45 pm

Senseless is an understatement!!! I didn’t know him very well, but I did know him and he was a decent guy trying to make a living and didn’t deserve this.

13. Amanda
    May 16, 2013 at 2:32 pm

This is so senseless. Chris was a good guy. My heart goes out to his family

14. Patty Akkad
    May 16, 2013 at 1:23 pm

I am so sorry to hear of this senseless violence. I send my prayers and condolences to the family of Chris, and to the neighbors who had to witness it, and even tried in vain to save him.

15. Darren
    May 16, 2013 at 1:18 pm

This is a true tragedy for Acton and its residents. Being a resident myself for 24 years this comes as a huge shock. God bless Chris and his family. God bless the suspect and his family as he and his family will also have to live with this realization. Stand strong Acton as we are a tight knit family.

-Don’t Tread On me
    Darren A.

16. AnotherWonderingMind
    May 16, 2013 at 1:16 pm

“Insert gun control debate here”

• Jerry Schermerhorn
      May 17, 2013 at 4:50 pm

A gun debate, now? Let the family mourn you idiot. This is an act done by a defective person.

• Jason Galaway
        May 18, 2013 at 5:56 pm

Exactly. The gun didn’t shoot itself. Condolences to the family.

• brian
      May 28, 2013 at 6:17 pm

do debates ever really solve anything? If anything, what happened to Chris is a result of a debate, over a parking issue. However, now and here is not the best time for a gc debate.

17. Joanne
    May 16, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Chris was the most non confrontational person I have ever met. I can not believe that he is gone. He will be missed by everyone who knew him.
    Seems that only the truly good die young. Heaven has room and hell is full.
    Condolences to the family.

18. Mr. Mister
    May 16, 2013 at 9:51 am

My condolences to the departed and his family. Another gone with no justification.

19. May 16, 2013 at 9:48 am

I’ve known Chris since he was in grade school.
    Neighbors with his parents. Nice family, watched Chris
    Grow up with my sons, Chris was always a nice responsible
    Respectable young man. What happened is horrible,
    And should not have happened !
    I’m so sorry for his familys loss.
    I only hope other idiots without common s

Can learn from this very tragic incident.

20. mick
    May 16, 2013 at 8:07 am

WTF is wrong with people these days????

May 16, 2013 at 11:00 am

Underemployment,unemployment,need for immediate gratification, living beyond their means, drug addiction,
      entitlement, depression, ADD, no ethics, lying, cheating, stealing, lack of self control, bad manners – just for starters.Then we have leadership in name only that is totally uninspiring, hypocritical “men of God “-gotta stop, feels like a rant.

21. Marie
    May 16, 2013 at 6:32 am

Chris was a very Warm, Loving and Hard Working Man who didn’t deserve to die like this.