Head-on collision kills two drivers

The double fatal collision happened on 170th Street East, south of Avenue S-8, according to the California Highway Patrol. (Photos by ED FROMMERS)

The double fatal collision happened on 170th Street East, south of Avenue S-8, according to the California Highway Patrol. (Photos by ED FROMMER)

ANTELOPE VALLEY – Alcohol may have been a factor in the head-on collision that killed two drivers Thursday night, authorities said.

The fatal collision occurred around 9:49 p.m. on 170th Street East, south of Avenue S-8, according to a California Highway Patrol report.

Emily Taylor, 49, of Huntington Beach, was driving a 2012 white Toyota Prius southbound on 170th Street East when she allowed her car to drift into the northbound lanes, the CHP report states.

The Honda rolled over before coming to rest.

The Honda rolled over before coming to rest.

Taylor’s vehicle collided head-on with a 2007 white Honda that was traveling northbound on 170th Street East. The Honda was being driven by 22-year-old Alejandro Alvizures of Hesperia.

Both vehicles careened off the roadway and the Honda rolled over before coming to rest, according to the CHP report.

Both Taylor and Alvizures died at the scene. Taylor was not wearing her seatbelt at the time of the crash, and alcohol may have been a factor in this collision, the CHP report states.

The fatal collision remains under investigation.

53 comments for “Head-on collision kills two drivers

1. Sadie
    May 20, 2013 at 2:38 pm

I dated Alex’s younger brother for two years and Alex was one of the sweetest people I’ve had the pleasure of knowing. He did not drink, he never did. He was taking invitations to his moms baby shower to different friends/family members when this woman hit and killed him. Alex should I been here today when his little sister was born but he’s not. I wish this woman didn’t die so she could live with the guilt of her actions. Please, do not drink and drive. You’re not the only one on the road.

2. J. Ripper
    May 11, 2013 at 5:59 am

This just in… Aliens MAY have also been a factor!!!

3. One who knows
    May 11, 2013 at 1:02 am

Emily, bless her heart, had never been able to stay sober for 5 years. She was always in and out of sobriety–it’s common knowledge. She was still a kind, generous spirit who gave and received love and in the end paid a horrible price and left a terrible pain in her and Alejandro’s families. She suffered with an illness that exacerbated her drinking behavior–it’s just tragic. But lying about her sobriety is harmful: drinking and driving kills. Even her closest friends and family acknowledge the truth.

4. jessica
    May 5, 2013 at 1:56 am

this is so sad everyones fighting instead of preying for the families that lost there loved ones alejandro was a very close and dear friend of mine and his mother and father dont need to see all this annoying fighting.emily went on the WRONG side of the road which means she caused the accident for whatever reason why she did nobody will ever know except her so please just prey for the families their more important then all this bickering i love you alejandro alvizures your always in my heart R.I.P bestfriend i miss u

5. OCfriend
    April 30, 2013 at 8:30 pm

Emily was sober. RIP, my sweet angel girl.

• DrJen
      April 30, 2013 at 11:10 pm

Emily was an amazing person. I am devastated for BOTH families. Tragic ACCIDENT. I’m not sure why the CHP had to add ALCOHOL as a POSSIBLE contributing factor or moreso why the journalist felt it was necessary to add drama where there isn’t any. It appears that NO ONE WAS DRUNK by comments from both friends and family members of both Emily and Alejandro. It was a tragic accident. Emily would never hurt another person purposefully. I am so, so, so sorry for both families.

• Andrea
        May 1, 2013 at 9:49 am

She was amazing and beautiful and my sobriety sister.

• Sober Friend
      May 1, 2013 at 10:36 am

I loved Emily but she had relapsed and empty beer bottles can be seen on the floor of her car in the tv news coverage. This is a horrible & tragic accident.

• Robert
        May 1, 2013 at 2:29 pm

What TV station covered this?

• Desertmom
          May 3, 2013 at 2:26 pm

Yeah, I would like to know that as well, because after your comment I goggled it like crazy and saw NO footage of beer bottles on the inside of her car. Back it up with facts. What News station?

• Sober Friend
            May 4, 2013 at 6:42 pm

It was on the abc7, nbc4 and i didn’t see but also kttv11. Also, didn’t see but was told empty beer bottles on the floor of her car. She relapsed last Nov and was sponsoring a friend of mine but my mid April had relapsed again….So sad Emily

6. Andrea
    April 29, 2013 at 9:40 am

Last I read it says alcohol may have been involved. It doesn’t say who may have been drinking it so lets not make assumptions until we have the facts.

• Elizabeth
      April 29, 2013 at 4:06 pm

Very true! Thanks for pointing that out.

• Katie
      April 29, 2013 at 5:18 pm

No assumptions—Alex DIDN’T drink Andrea. That only leaves one other driver…

• Andrea
        May 1, 2013 at 9:47 am

What part of drinking “may have been a factor” do you not understand. By the way Emily was sober.

• Nunya
      April 29, 2013 at 6:04 pm

Wouldn’t it stand to reason that the one who drifted into the opposing lane would be the one who was drinking?

• Andrea
        May 1, 2013 at 9:49 am

Because one doesn’t have to be drinking in order to drift into another lane. Or are you just the prefect driver?

• Desertmom
      April 30, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Emily Taylor had 5 years sober…she was not drinking. I don’t know about the boy, but there has been allot of people that say he was not drinking as well. Sometimes an accident is an accident. It’s late, your tired, you look down at the clock or radio and BAM! This was a good SOBER woman who had a family that loved her. She leaves behind a hubby (also sober) that adored her and a daughter that thought the world of her. When there is no reason for an accident sometimes the cops put “Alcohol MAY be a factor”. Lets let the investigation finish before we jump to conclusions and slander a woman who I repeat, has not had a drop of alcohol in years. Her family deserves just as much respect as his.

• Mike
        April 30, 2013 at 1:44 pm

I couldn’t agree with you more. No one on this blog really knows what happened. Let’s avoid throwing stones.

• OCfriend
        April 30, 2013 at 8:31 pm

7. AVDweller
    April 28, 2013 at 7:09 am

…Tragic. Nice to see Ed Frommer was out there taking advantage of another unfortunate photo opp. I guess he lacks empathy and compassion for the family of these people. While these are a grim reminder of the dangers of drinking and driving (if that is the case) it’s still in poor taste to conduct your freelance amateur paparazzi skills in this way. One day that might be you or one of your family members. Chasing ambulances can be dangerous too Ed. Save the lens for something of better taste; although I don’t think you have any concept of what is in good taste and appropriate.

• Desertmom
      April 28, 2013 at 8:48 am

That’s ridiculous, I don’t know him but I assume he is a photographer that the police or whomever called to take the pix and then the AV Times put them up on the page to show us with the story…what are you some bitter ex, or maybe some lesser quality competition and they didn’t call you. Or maybe your are a personal acquaintance of his, either way, your comment was just stupid. Get a life and quit being a petty little person trying to use this format to vent. If you have issue with this guy, this tragic accident article isn’t the place for your mealy mouth yammering.

• J. Ripper
        April 30, 2013 at 3:53 pm

Actually, Ed is our local papparazo. He got a lot of negative press over his actions stalking Deborah Rowe, who lives in the White Fence Farms area, after Michael Jackson’s death.

April 30, 2013 at 5:16 pm

Oh yeah, didn’t she smack him and he sued her?

8. Ms. M
    April 28, 2013 at 12:08 am

I worked with this kid, a very nice person. From what I was told, he was coming back from giving out invites to his Mother’s surprise Baby shower he was giving her. Fortunately, he had spent the day with her. A memory that will be forever cherished, and never forgotten. RIP Alex, you will be missed. As far as the supposedly drunk driver. I’m sorry for their loss as well. But, to know your loved one was reckless and not only caused her own death, but, shortened the life of another. The Bible speaks of unforeseen occurrences’ how true.

9. Patricia
    April 27, 2013 at 10:35 pm

I know that when the time comes for me to hand the keys of my car to my son because I am too old or incapacitated to drive, I won’t hesitate, just the way I am. I never drink alcohol and hence I have never driven drunk. My condolences to both families, Please stop this madness.

10. mick
    April 27, 2013 at 5:44 pm

This is happening way too much. Please, if you drink, don’t drive. The end results are NEVER worth the momentary buzz.

11. Saddened
    April 27, 2013 at 5:04 pm

In THIS case the drunk driver died(they usually don’t) and while I feel bad for her family who are going to have to reap the repercussions of her lack of judgement–she didn’t even have her seat belt on–feeling too good i’de guess…this young man was an innocent..for his family there are not enough tears or prayers and no words that can express my sympathy…I would have NO problem having a breath analyzer installed in my car unfortunately the idiot driving drunk is the one who wouldn’t have one. Another innocent life gone for no other reason than being in the wrong place at the wrong time…I’m sorry

• April 27, 2013 at 6:26 pm

Who’s gonna pay for that device?

• duh
        April 27, 2013 at 6:59 pm

• Andrea
          April 29, 2013 at 9:36 am

How do you know who was drunk? It says alcohol “Maybe involved” Get the facts before you make assumptions.

12. Frank
    April 27, 2013 at 3:35 pm

Can’t believe this is how my cousin died! This drunken idiot took a young mans life for her stupidness.

• Derrick
      April 28, 2013 at 1:23 pm

I feel you Frank

• Frank
        April 28, 2013 at 8:36 pm

Thank you.

13. lulu belle
    April 27, 2013 at 8:08 am

This is a horrible scene. The poor families…the car industries need to implement an alcohol breath test before starting a vehicle. I know some have it, but all should. The 22 year old kid was just driving along and bam dead for no reason other than a person decided to lose focus on their driving. Whether there was alcohol or not involved, it doesn’t loosen the pain for the families. We all need to be very afraid to drive in this valley.

• javier
      April 27, 2013 at 3:44 pm

Yeah that’s what I want, to have to blow into a dirty tube every time I want to drive my car. Really?

• Adam Chant
        April 28, 2013 at 11:28 am

Actually we are not very far off from having our mobile devices (KEY FOB) be able to detect health patterns and use that to determine if we are fit to drive.
        It could be from rest, health, or even intoxication that the vehicle would be unable to be driven.
        Let’s just hope that all of the ‘arm chair constitutional lawyers’ don’t try to prevent it from being implemented in vehicles in this country..
        Look for a system from GM or BMW in the next couple of years..

• Yo Mama
          April 28, 2013 at 6:31 pm

So, here’s a good example of the Liberal mindset. Never mind an American being independent, and responsible for their own actions. No. The mindset is,

“You can’t do this yourself. The government must guide you and regulate your every action. You’re not even capable of thinking for yourself. Never need to wonder how or why. We’ll tell you how and why.”

No thanks! I’ll take my chances, thank you very much….

I’d rather be hit in the door than have a government tell me I can or can’t drive my car because it thinks I’m tired. Ridiculous. Leave me alone…..

April 28, 2013 at 9:35 pm

When your driving a couple of tons of metal down a public thoroughfare its everyone’s business.
            How many just this month have lost life because of impaired drivers?

• lucy
            April 29, 2013 at 8:57 am

Another whiner about liberals! It is a privledge not a right to drive. And yes the government regulates it because it would be anarchy if they didn’t. You guys are like broken records you have no foresight to follow that thought out to see where your flaky ideas would lead. dittoheads!

• April 27, 2013 at 6:24 pm

ALL cars to have an ignition interlock!!!!???? Real good for the economy. No way!!!

• Kullid
        April 27, 2013 at 7:20 pm

@ Otto. What do you have against keeping drunk drivers off the roads and saving lives??

• April 27, 2013 at 8:13 pm

I prefer saving a few bucks and using my defensive driving skills against drunks, Kullid.

• Kullid
            April 27, 2013 at 8:57 pm

Good luck with that, and the eyes in back of your head. Wishful thinking.

• April 27, 2013 at 9:12 pm

And, I drive a 4×4 Ford Excursion.

• Kullid
            April 27, 2013 at 9:32 pm

Couldn’t find something bigger? Pass everything but a gas station, eh?

14. mom
    April 26, 2013 at 7:46 pm

I’m raising my nephew, his parents were killed in an alcohol related accident! I live the aftermath of this everyday!! Don’t Drink and Drive!! give some one your keys if you can’t be trusted or don’t drink, but for many that’s way too much to ask!! there are so many innocent lives that are affected! I pray for their families!

15. lucie
    April 26, 2013 at 7:43 pm

Very sorry for both familys saddly even if you take drivers licence that dosen’t do much they go straight back out and drive again and again unless they take it seriously but most don’t saddly : (

16. 10dog
    April 26, 2013 at 6:38 pm

The only way to stop this is take the driver license away for ever on the first DUI and some jail time. I know this will never happen as a lot of our officials would lose their. John 3:16 this what we all need.

• Kullid
      April 26, 2013 at 10:06 pm

Suspending or revoking a license works most of the time, but the reality is you only need a car to drive.

17. April 26, 2013 at 5:19 pm

Jeez Louise……when the HECK is this going to stop? Come on, people. How many more fatalities do you need to finally get it? Drinking and driving = DEATH.

• dumbandblind
      April 26, 2013 at 9:10 pm

#Mrs M

This will never stop. There’s a moron born every second.

• April 27, 2013 at 6:36 pm

Sadly, I think you are correct.